MORryde Suspension Upgrade - Installation Notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MORryde Suspension Upgrade - Installation Notes

We finally got around to installing our MORryde suspension upgrade, which included the typical CRE2-35 equalizer and Heavy Duty shackle kit, and I thought I would share my personal installation notes for anyone who is planning on doing this upgrade. I don't intend on going through the installation instructions, there are lots of resources online for that already, rather I thought I would share where I 'diverted' or any major highlights. However, if there are any questions on the installation, I know lots of us would be happy to answer them, so fire away. Also, if anyone else has any tips or tricks that they want to share for future users, please feel free to do so here!

Before I begin though, I must beg for forgiveness from the forum Gods as I was too involved in the installation to grab any pictures of the process, but again, there are lots of online instructions, so we can call it 'even Stephen'

Pre-Install Work
    After receiving both packages through Amazon, and verifying measurements to make sure everything was good to go and I had the right parts, I did a double check on the grease zerks. I simply connected each bolt onto the grease gun and made sure they took grease, as I had read somewhere that other people found out some zerks wouldn't take grease after installing. Sure enough, all but one of the bolts took grease and no matter I couldn't get the zerk to take grease. I sent an email off to MORryde asking to confirm what size of zerk is used for replacement, which they replied the next day that it's M6x1.0. However, not only did they confirm what size of zerk to use, they offered to send me a whole new shackle with both bolts pressed on! I must admit, I was surprised and really appreciated MORryde stepping up like that for such a simple issue.

Raising the trailer
    Before raising the trailer, I measured the height between the ground and frame to confirm that I had enough blocking. Well, it turns out I had the opposite problem, in that with a 2 row tower of 6x6s, the jack stands where too tall to fit under the frame by about an inch. I didn't want to extend my jack stands to their tallest setting on top of a single row of 6x6s, so I decided to drive all four wheels up onto 2x6s to gain an extra 1.5", and that worked like a charm.

I know there have been lots of discussions on proper raising techniques, which I greatly appreciated the additional information. To raise our trailer, I first started by lifting under the axles with a jack and a leaf spring saddle to cradle the tube, this got the tires off the 2x6s. After I removed the tires, I was able to lower each axle to obtain pressure on the jack stands. I placed the stands as close to the saddles as possible, and that help keep them out of the way. If they were further back, it would have been an obstacle to get around when working.

I left the trailer hitched to the truck for stability, and the only other thing I did when raising the trailer, that I didn't note elsewhere, was to undo the weight distribution bars. I did this so I didn't have that extra weight transferred from the bars on the trailer axles.

Installation
    For the most part the installation went according to plan and what others have done, but I would say that the YouTube videos out there certainly make the process shorter than it is. With help from my father-in-law, the installation took about 5 hours, with the second side going much faster than the first. I would say having two people is a must, even though the videos out there make it look like you can do it on your own, the extra pair of hands help.

I would also highlight that there are some videos out there that show someone taking an impact gun to the bolt and not the nut for removal. Just remember, the bolts are knurled and if you smack those around, you will round out the eye of the hanger. Put the impact on the nut, and put a breaker bar on the bolt head, and then you will be good to go.

The one tip I saw online that I must share, and I wish I could take credit for this idea but I can't, to help align the spring eye with the hanger on the horizonal axis (front to back) place a breaker bar or wrench on the other bolt at the shackle end and use it to move the spring back and forth. Here is where I saw this idea https://youtu.be/cyzGWXdy71c - it's at around the 8:30 mark.

When pressing in the new bushings, I seen various tips online on how to best get them in. I tried both the c-clamp method and hammering, either way, they went in. In the end it probably would have helped to put them in the freezer before installation, and not out in the blazing sun, too late for that though. I did however, take one of the old bolts and filed down the serrations. Then, I put the bushing on that bolt and either pressed the clamp on the bolt, or hammered the bolt. This helped avoid damaging the bushing while pressing.

Post analysis
    I haven't had a chance to tow trailer very far, so I cannot say if the towing experience is smoother with the new equalizer or not, but it seems somewhat smoother over bumps. However, I can say the suspension is much much quieter than what is was before, and this is the primary reason I did the installation. Near the end of last season, whenever we were pulling into a campground we were certainly getting looks, and not because of how awesome our truck and trailer look together . No, unfortunately you could hear us on every bump in the road with our squeaky suspension, and this was telling me it was time to at least replace the bushing and bolts, so I decided to do the equalizer too since everything would be apart anyways. Again, I didn't feel our towing experience was awful before, but I don't think this change will hurt it.

We have about personally towed our trailer 8500kms, tracked by the built in trailer odometer, plus whatever distance the trailer was towed by delivery from the factory and towing it from one dealer lot to us, so call it 10,000kms. When taking the suspension apart, we found the nylon bushings on the center of the equalizers were worn the most, while the others seemed okay, which surprised me. I figured with all the metal on metal noise there would be more wear and tear, but again the center point on the equalizers seemed to have taken the brunt of it.

Would I do this again though? Certainly for the more robust shackles and wet bolts I would. However, I would be tempted to call around next time and see much installation would cost at a shop. The job was not technically challenging, but it does take time and is physically involved. However, it was still fun to do!
    Last edited by StephenO; 05-16-2022, 11:22 AM.
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Thanks for sharing your tips. I need to tackle this job again as soon as i heal up from some wrist surgery.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

After helping the road call mechanic change the 2 axles under our previous 5er after she shucked a drum and damaged the end of the spindle, I can attest that 2 people are a must when dealing with axles.

Another thing I noticed when doing the axle swap, the bolts are a royal pain to remove. The knurling is deep and does a good job of grabbing the hangers.

If anyone is planning to do an axle swap, I might suggest a set of wheel dollies like used in body shops to help move the axles around under the unit.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        After helping the road call mechanic change the 2 axles under our previous 5er after she shucked a drum and damaged the end of the spindle, I can attest that 2 people are a must when dealing with axles.

Another thing I noticed when doing the axle swap, the bolts are a royal pain to remove. The knurling is deep and does a good job of grabbing the hangers.

If anyone is planning to do an axle swap, I might suggest a set of wheel dollies like used in body shops to help move the axles around under the unit.
        The shackle bolts can easily be removed by using a socket to cover the head of the bolt and with a C Clamp simply push out the bolt past the spline. From there a hammer with a drift can push the bolt the rest of the way out.

I've not changed an axle since long ago but a floor jack can be used in the center of the axle since you would only be lifting the weight of the axle which would be acceptable. Its not a difficult job at all if the person is healthy and mechanically inclined. Now if this is done over gravel? That would be a challenge.

To the OP. Check those U bolts after each trip until they stabilize. Then check them a couple times each season.

Jim
        Last edited by Guest; 05-16-2022, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Hi Stephen, Great write-up . . . very appropriate for this forum of owners helping owners.

A couple of considerations that I would add . . .

Wet bolt grease opening orientation: Wet bolts are easiest to grease if the opening is a 3 or 9 o'clock. Me experience is that MORryde presses the bolts into the shackle plates at random orientations. Just push them out (hydraulic press or socket and C clamp) and orient the bolts correctly before assembly. I asked MORryde about why they advise 3 & 9 and assemble randomly. I did not get a reply.

The axles tend to move towards each other when the suspension is removed. I found that creating a wooden brace that was a snug fit before starting (simply a 2x4 of the exact fit hung from a longer board resting on the tops of the axles near the end you are working on) kept the axles much closer to the correct spacing for reassembly.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            Hi Stephen, Great write-up . . . very appropriate for this forum of owners helping owners.

A couple of considerations that I would add . . .

Wet bolt grease opening orientation: Wet bolts are easiest to grease if the opening is a 3 or 9 o'clock. Me experience is that MORryde presses the bolts into the shackle plates at random orientations. Just push them out (hydraulic press or socket and C clamp) and orient the bolts correctly before assembly. I asked MORryde about why they advise 3 & 9 and assemble randomly. I did not get a reply.

The axles tend to move towards each other when the suspension is removed. I found that creating a wooden brace that was a snug fit before starting (simply a 2x4 of the exact fit hung from a longer board resting on the tops of the axles near the end you are working on) kept the axles much closer to the correct spacing for reassembly.

Rob
            Thanks Rob.

I am happy to report, and thank you for the reminder to post this, that on all the pre-pressed shackle link bolts, the grease ports were aligned 'sideways' when the shackle was held vertically. So perhaps MORryde did take your feedback in the end
            2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
              To be honest, the OEM bolts came out very easily, which surprised me. I was expecting them to be very difficult to remove, but maybe it depends on who Dexter / Lippert / GD (whoever assembles the axles to the frame) is sourcing the bolts from? Different manufactures with different specs on the depth of knurling perhaps?

That being said, the supplied wet bolts from MORryde where certainly a royal pain, and then some, to get seated into the hanger. Hopefully I never need to pull them
              2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Working...
              X