Tire leaks with EEZ TPMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire leaks with EEZ TPMS

I wanted to write a post about a recent experience I had with one of my tires losing air. This happened first on my way to an Alabama campground I noticed one tire lost 10lbs on trip but it did not register it as a fast leak. Once I got to camp I put in more air to usual 80 psi and examined tire, sprayed soapy water around stem and tightened stem valve as well. No issues were found. Next morning I lost 5 lbs on that tire, took out sensor and tightened more after filling up tire. No further issues into Florida and once back to my winter spot, I always remove sensors and fill up tires until we leave in May.

It is now May and I bought new batteries for the sensors as they go back on tires in anticipated prep for summer trip. I monitor again after installing them and one day later that same tire is at 65 psi! I switch sensor to a different tire and confirm it is the sensor.

So I called EEZ and was told to change out the rubber o-rings as the sensors are over 3 years old. They sell a kit for $5 and $1 shipping so I went that route before ordering a new sensor.

Removing the small o-ring requires a dental tool or other pick. The bigger o-ring is to the base for waterproofing the sensor. Now on for 2 weeks and no leaks. Just thought to share in case anyone has had issues such as these with the sensors.

Click image for larger version  Name:	805C93A1-7784-443A-B9B6-0F57F204F5B4.jpeg Views:	20 Size:	25.6 KB ID:	85192

Click image for larger version  Name:	3014C328-B2EA-4DDC-B897-24834B286675.jpeg Views:	16 Size:	53.6 KB ID:	85193
    Last edited by Beachcamper; 05-16-2022, 04:49 PM.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

This is a good reminder Vivian. TST also uses O-rings, and a replacement kit runs $9.00. But shipping is a very high at $7.50.

Jim
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 05-16-2022, 04:39 PM.
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Changing the seals is a good reminder.

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      TST also uses O-rings, and a replacement kit runs $9.00. But shipping is a very high at $7.50.
      It's always tough for me to understand why a bag of orings is so expensive. If anyone has a spare new kit, I'd be glad to match up the orings and ship in a USPS envelope. Shouldn't be more than $3-4 with shipping.
      Dustin and Samantha
      2022 Imagine XLS 17MKE
      2021 Chevy Silverado - 3.0 Duramax - B&W Continuum

Comment

A trip to the local hardware store or auto parts house should get you access to a variety of o-rings. Standard Viton o-rings are all that's needed.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

I ran a TireMinder pressure monitoring system for years. Constant false alarms and resets. The basic premise of a tire cap holding the schrader valve open and depending on cap torque and O ring seal to maintain trailer tire pressure is questionable at best. My new truck has the ability to monitor internal (like OEM truck) trailer tire pressure and temperature sensors. Accurate monitoring and never a false alarm . . . definitely a stress reducer while towing.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            I ran a TireMinder pressure monitoring system for years. Constant false alarms and resets. The basic premise of a tire cap holding the schrader valve open and depending on cap torque and O ring seal to maintain trailer tire pressure is questionable at best. My new truck has the ability to monitor internal (like OEM truck) trailer tire pressure and temperature sensors. Accurate monitoring and never a false alarm . . . definitely a stress reducer while towing.

Rob

I bought my EEZ TPSM in 2018 and never had a false alarm. I did have rapid air loss alarms two times and it was one time before getting on the highway found a nail in tire. Last summer when 30 minutes before getting on the Mackinac bridge, a sharp rock (like a spear head) somehow pushed into tire and ripped open a huge hole. Thank goodness I found all these out while in safer locations. I will always have them on my trailer tires. The company is very quick to help on the phone or online. The rubber o-rings for $5 and $1 shipping is not unreasonable and cheaper than me driving 30 miles each way to Lowes.

Vivian
            2018 Reflection 303rls
            Demco Recon

Comment

Beachcamper Thanks for the heads up. We’ve been using the EEZ TPMS since 2015. I haven’t needed to replace any seals yet but I have put new batteries in several times. I have the little bag of O-Rings in my box though. I did need to replace one sensor last season but that was my fault. When I was removing the old battery I accidentally broke the part that holds the battery in place.

No other issues but occasionally one sensor will drop off the monitor, lose contact during travel, for several minutes before it shows back up again. I replaced the battery but it still does it. The sensor might need replacing.
              2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
              2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
              Andersen WDH
              Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
              2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
              2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger1 View Post
                Beachcamper.

No other issues but occasionally one sensor will drop off the monitor, lose contact during travel, for several minutes before it shows back up again. I replaced the battery but it still does it. The sensor might need replacing.
                Tigger1 that’s interesting you mention one sensor drops off. It is same thing that happened a few months before on the sensor that was causing tire leak. I will see if replacing these o-rings help stop that issue. We are full time so I will test it these next few months while we are on the road and report.

Vivian
                2018 Reflection 303rls
                Demco Recon

Comment

Tigger1 Note that the baggie of o-rings should not be a clear bag, but a paper bag or opaque dark colored bag is better. UV light (even florescent tubes) are bad for o-rings.

Note: I worked for a company that actually had excessive quality control on elastomer compounds. All o-rings in clear bags upon receipt were immediately placed in brown plastic bags and stored in a climate controlled room using incandescent bulbs. Location of the seal room was such that when the door was opened, external lighting was minimal and could not enter the room.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                    Tigger1 Note that the baggie of o-rings should not be a clear bag, but a paper bag or opaque dark colored bag is better. UV light (even florescent tubes) are bad for o-rings.

Note: I worked for a company that actually had excessive quality control on elastomer compounds. All o-rings in clear bags upon receipt were immediately placed in brown plastic bags and stored in a climate controlled room using incandescent bulbs. Location of the seal room was such that when the door was opened, external lighting was minimal and could not enter the room.
                    Good to know, thanks!
                    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
                    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                    Andersen WDH
                    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
                    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
                    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

Rob
                      Did you buy four Ford sensors and have them installed on your trailer wheels?
                      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

Did you buy four Ford sensors and have them installed on your trailer wheels?
                        The Ford “Trailer TPMS” is a receiver mounted to the trailer and hardwired to the truck through an additional cord that plugs in beside the standard 7 pin connection cord. The TPMS sensors are replacement valve stems with the sensing components inside the trailer wheel rim like OEM vehicle tire pressure and temperature sensors. The only curious thing about this system is that the sensors go to sleep when not rotating. So . . . you can’t use this system to pre-check trailer tire pressures until you get rolling in the morning.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The Ford “Trailer TPMS” is a receiver mounted to the trailer and hardwired to the truck through an additional cord that plugs in beside the standard 7 pin connection cord. The TPMS sensors are replacement valve stems with the sensing components inside the trailer wheel rim like OEM vehicle tire pressure and temperature sensors. The only curious thing about this system is that the sensors go to sleep when not rotating. So . . . you can’t use this system to pre-check trailer tire pressures until you get rolling in the morning.

Rob
                          I run the same system as Rob and I love it. I think the reason they go to sleep is to extend the battery life, they are rated to 10 years. I agree it would be nice to be able to use it to check pressure before pulling out. I have gotten in the habit of having the trailer pressure display up when I head out and watching all of the pressures come online.
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I have gotten in the habit of having the trailer pressure display up when I head out and watching all of the pressures come online.
                            I do this same thing, but have also gotten in the habit of checking trailer tire pressures after parking the trailer (usually the previous evening)

Rob

Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

So there are little accelerometers in there?
                              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Working...
                              X