Is this an axle issue or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this an axle issue or not?

2022 2670MK, picked it up in Dec 2021. During a recent trip I noticed the wheels seem to be offset. I wasn't sure if it was an optical illusion, so I checked it with a straight edge when I got home. It seems the front and rear axles are offset by about 3/4". It is consistent across the wheels, so the axles seemed to be aligned to each other. Is this a problem that I should address with the dealer or is this considered normal?

I am not experiencing any excessive sway and after 5,000 miles I do not see any unusual wear on the tires but probably wouldn't with that low mileage.

I really think you're okay. I had a bad axle on my 2016 Reflection travel trailer and the tires were completely ruined at about 2,000 miles. If your tires are wearing well, your suspension (springs, spring hangers, etc.) is in good shape, and you're not having any handling issues while driving, I'd leave it alone.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Unless the trailer has been pulled forward in a straight line for 100 ft or so its impossible to determine, they do shift around quite a bit when turning and backing.
      2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I would bring it up should there be other issues.

1st, in order to check, axle alignment you need to drive straight ahead on flat level ground. This allows the axles to relax.
        2nd, check both sides. Axles can be out one of several ways. They can be out center to center of each other, out of square to the trailer frame, or mis aligned.

Center to center, I suggest using the front spring bolt as a reference and measuring to the equalizer bolt, and the rear spring bolt on both sides. If this is all in order, use the front axle bolt again, then measure to the center of the front axle and then the rear axle, if these check out the the axles are aligned to each other.

Checking square to the frame is a little more complicated, but still do able. Find a good solid reference point at the front of the trailer. They say to use the ball, but sometimes this is hard. I suggest measuring back to the leading edge of the frame on each side from the coupler to ensure the front edges of the frame are square to the coupler. This find the center between these points and use that as a reference. Measure back to each axle from that point. I think 1/8" is acceptable.

Mis alignment is another tough but measurable one. Start by ensuring the spring mounts are in the same location. Again center of something is the best point. Center of axle is probably the easiest to find. Using masking tape, measure from the backing plate to the center until the measurements are equal (do this on both axles even if the numbers are different it's ok (for now). Double and triple check this. If they are different it will affect the next measurement. Measure from the center of the axle to the center of the spring perch and from the backing plate to the center of the perch. ensure that center to perch and backing plate to perch are the same on each end of an axle. Ensure the center of perch to center of perch matches the center to center of the frame for both axles. Last compare the measurement for each axle. Hopefully they are all within 1/16" or so.

i know it's a lot to digest and measure. BUT this will give you definitive information when dealign with either the dealer or GD.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks for the input! I'll check out the measurements Joseph described.

Comment

Working...
          X