Weak Brakes on New 2022 Imagine 2500RL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weak Brakes on New 2022 Imagine 2500RL

Very weak brakes I have adjusted a couple of times and they have improved very little. I have to max the gain out to get any braking. The voltage is good and the magnets are working. I had a 2020 Imagine XLS 22RBE and the Brakes were great on it. The new trailer is heavier but not by a lot. I took the hubs off and discovered the New trailer came with non-Self adjusting brakes this is very disappointing I would think a new trailer would have self adjusting brakes. Any ideas other than replacement would be appreciated. I think they will have to be replaced with better brakes.

Originally posted by kharris733 View Post
    Very weak brakes I have adjusted a couple of times and they have improved very little. I have to max the gain out to get any braking. The voltage is good and the magnets are working. I had a 2020 Imagine XLS 22RBE and the Brakes were great on it. The new trailer is heavier but not by a lot. I took the hubs off and discovered the New trailer came with non-Self adjusting brakes this is very disappointing I would think a new trailer would have self adjusting brakes. Any ideas other than replacement would be appreciated. I think they will have to be replaced with better brakes.
    That level of troubleshooting it sounds like it's not an electrical issue. When you took the hubs off did the drums lol contaminated with grease at all? There's no real "better" with drum brakes. You can go to hydraulic disc but that would be overkill on that size trailer I would think. If the drums aren't contaminated I'd be looking at the current flowing to each drum. From the factory I found my braking weak and found that the rear axle was not even connected. You should be able to use a clamp amp meter to read the same current going to each wheel.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

How many miles do you have on the trailer?

My 2020 Reflection came with the manual adjusting brakes and have not been an issue. However, it took about 500 miles of use before the brakes shoes seemed to seat (conform to drum), but when new the brakes were very weak.
      2020 Reflection 273MK
      2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Could it be possible that the brake mechanism is backwards on the axles, axles installed backwards on the trailer, allowing the brakes to adjust loose when traveling. A far reach but I have seen stranger things lately.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Just in case you dont have a copy. https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...ice_manual.pdf

It really doesnt take the adjustment to be off by much to give the kind of poor performance you describe. Assuming the shoes are not contaminated with grease and the seals were intact I would review the adjustment procedure and make sure they are tight enough.

If those brakes are clean and adjusted properly they should stop that trailer very well and require minimal adjustments.
          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I agree with what has been stated about the fact that it will require a few hundred miles for the shoes to wear enough to have the entire area of the shoes contact the drum (conform to the drum). I had the same issue with my trailer when it was new. You will have to adjust the brakes a number of times during this brake in period but you will notice that the braking will get progressively better. Do yourself a favor and buy a brake spoon, it will make the task of adjusting much easier. I do mine every few thousand miles at any campsite that I happen to be at. I just use the bottle jack from my truck and raise one wheel at a time about 1'. As far as the lack of self adjusters, I'm glad I don't have them. As a brake mechanic in a prior life when drum brakes were the norm, I have seen far too many problems with self adjusting brakes on cars.
            Mike and (RIP Karen)
            2021 2600RB
            2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Anything new to report ? Please let us know when you have any new info

Comment

Originally posted by AZMike View Post

I agree with what has been stated about the fact that it will require a few hundred miles for the shoes to wear enough to have the entire area of the shoes contact the drum (conform to the drum). I had the same issue with my trailer when it was new. You will have to adjust the brakes a number of times during this brake in period but you will notice that the braking will get progressively better. Do yourself a favor and buy a brake spoon, it will make the task of adjusting much easier. I do mine every few thousand miles at any campsite that I happen to be at. I just use the bottle jack from my truck and raise one wheel at a time about 1'. As far as the lack of self adjusters, I'm glad I don't have them. As a brake mechanic in a prior life when drum brakes were the norm, I have seen far too many problems with self adjusting brakes on cars.
                Mike - thanks for this info. We only have pulled our 2500RL about 60 miles from the dealer to home, but the brakes were almost non-existent. I was able to adjust them a fair bit, so we'll see the next time I'm on the road with it. Re lifting with a bottle jack - do you raise the axle or the frame? I read where one is only supposed to raise on the frame, but, with a properly placed and shaped (vee of some sort) block under the axle, I don't see a problem.

Ottertail, Minnesota
                2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
                2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPeterson View Post

Mike - thanks for this info. We only have pulled our 2500RL about 60 miles from the dealer to home, but the brakes were almost non-existent. I was able to adjust them a fair bit, so we'll see the next time I'm on the road with it. Re lifting with a bottle jack - do you raise the axle or the frame? I read where one is only supposed to raise on the frame, but, with a properly placed and shaped (vee of some sort) block under the axle, I don't see a problem.
                  I place a block of wood between the top of the jack and the u bolts. I know that it is recommended to jack on the frame but since I only have to raise one inch (and the wood distributes the force) this has worked out very well for me. I have seen posts from users that have jacks with a v shaped top, but I don't like them because they lift on the axle tube (witch is relatively weak). With the wood the pressure is on the u bolts.
                  Mike and (RIP Karen)
                  2021 2600RB
                  2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Bear in mind that your trailer was also towed from Indiana to wherever your dealer is.
                    While your under there its a good time to check the torque on the U-bolts
                    See page 67 https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...ice_manual.pdf

Comment

I lift the tires individually with a bottle jack directly on one of the U-bolts. When I do this, I have the trailer sitting on its stabilizers to help minimize load on the axle. you could even bump the stabilizers up a bit (do not try to lift the trailer) as every fraction of and inches the stabilizers lift the trailer is a direct release of load on the axle (it will end up fully loading the jack eventually).
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                      X