Lippert Road Armor Suspension Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lippert Road Armor Suspension Upgrade

Took my trailer into to get some warranty work done at the dealership and thought that would be a good time to take it to another shop somewhat nearby to install Lippert Road Armor Equalizers with upgraded shackles, wet bolts, and bronze bushings. I possibly could have done the install myself, but I wanted the leaf spring hangers reinforced with welded cross members and exterior angle braces.

VIP RV Service in Menifee did this mod on my prior trailer and I was real happy with their work. Trailer is way quieter now, drives smoother, and I feel more confident making tight turns (especially backing up the driveway or in soft sand). Before this mod the suspension would make all kings of banging, crackling noises and it did not sound good. They also said there was a mix of plastic and bronze bushings installed on the leaf springs when they removed them and asked if I had taken the trailer somewhere before for work done. I said no and to my knowledge what was installed came from the factory. Weird.
    Attached Files
    Dan M.
    2022 Momentum 23G
    2019 F250 6.7L

That is quite the brace set up. I am curious about the brace that comes out above the tires, What does it attach to at the top?

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Towable RV suspension is "sloppy" at best. The inside width of the hangers is 1/8" or more wider than the spring leaves or the spring eye bushing. When the hanger bolts are installed, the nut is supposed to torque against the shoulder of the bolt. To do this, it must bend the hanger in towards the spring bushing. When LCI installs "V Brace" reinforcements, they weld only one side to the hanger leg. The outboard side on one end and the inboard side on the other. This allows a reinforced hanger to still bend enough for the nut to seat against the shoulder. (See picture). If the hanger is fully "boxed" the original nut and bolt cannot be assembled as intended. Perhaps slightly longer bolts could be use, but this would leave and even looser fit between bushing length and hanger width.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	V Clip.jpg
Views:	933
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	88090
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

74barrio Thats tidy work, very nice.
        At the risk of sounding preachy, the red wire in the 3rd pic runs over the side skirt brace, it should have some sort of split loom over the wire to protect it and then be secured to the brace so it doesnt rub through. I assume since the wire is red that it probably contains a supply of "magic smoke" that once released can create big trouble
        Last edited by familytruckster4; 06-21-2022, 07:45 AM.
        2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Country Campers The outer brace is to shore up the exterior walls to prevent wall sag. Probably over kill on this trailer but my prior Weekend Warrior needed it. You can see the thin factory brace in the background.
          Attached Files
          Dan M.
          2022 Momentum 23G
          2019 F250 6.7L

Comment

Cate&Rob The side brace is welded at the inner upper leg of the fore nd aft leaf hangers. This is a closeup picture Looks like the outer side is also welded on mine, but the shop may have done that.
            Attached Files
            Dan M.
            2022 Momentum 23G
            2019 F250 6.7L

Comment

familytruckster4 I hear you. I think that is a 22 gauge wire and is used to power my flag pole whip light that draws about 1 amp. I might run a split loom over it now that you bring it up.
              Dan M.
              2022 Momentum 23G
              2019 F250 6.7L

Comment

Hi Dan,

My concern would be the "boxed" hanger where a plate is welded across both legs of the hanger. It looks like the nut is far enough on to the bolt to have come up against the shoulder. so maybe this was welded after the spring was assembled to the hanger. If the nut reaches torque against the hanger, before it comes up against the bolt shoulder, the motion of the suspension may cause this nut to loosen. Something to keep and eye on. The fit and weld quality of the reinforcements is top notch!

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_13241.jpg
Views:	857
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	88147

Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks Rob!

I see what you are talking about now. I will definitely keep and eye on this and thank you for pointing it out. RV VIP Service does this bracing on quite a bit of trailers (always have one trailer supported on jacks doing this mod when I stopped by), so I'm hoping they are aware of this mounting issue.

Dan
                  Dan M.
                  2022 Momentum 23G
                  2019 F250 6.7L

Comment

This is a GREAT thread...exactly what I've been looking for to "fix" my 2018 GD 297 RSTS. I am a fabricator and have the ability to do this in my shop...their work in the pics is top shelf for sure! I'm a little confused by the pics though and having trouble with orientation. Is the "bow" brace on the front side or the back side of the trailer. Any help is appreciated.

Comment

Darol

Welcome to the discussion. Not meaning to speak for the OP, but with reference to the 3rd picture on the first post . . . the bow brace is forward and the straight brace is aft. (The labels are always on the aft side of the axle tubes). I am assuming that the bow allows dropping the coroplast to remove the tank above it (if ever necessary). Well thought out BTW.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Darol

BTW . . . Welcome to our owners technical forum. Have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I know about the labels but was so focused on the welded members I never bothered to look. Thank you for the welcome and I'll go to the "new member" page and get my info loaded up. Glad to have found this forum.

Comment

These guys certainly know how to do vertical welds perfectly. I installed the MorRyde X factor bracket on my little Imagine where its not heavy enough to be concerned with the short hangers failing. But for a Momentum, this is exceptionally nice and essential work.

BTW, its the center hangers that exhibit the most lateral motion over the others since both axles terminate there. The V clips on the rear hangers are critical to be installed on a heavy rig as yours.

Jim

Comment

I liked the idea of running a cross brace between the spring hangers. The pics posted on this forum we’re great! I fabricated a set but I like to have things removable for access to “things”. Just finished up and now headed over to the coast. Going to be the first trip towing our 297 RSDS with our new pickup.

Comment

Working...
                              X