Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires for Solitude S-Class

Hello All,
    My wife and I will be picking up our first RV (S-Class Solitude 2930RL) in another month, and I have seen a lot of YouTube videos about tires on RV's being bad. The thought of having a blow-out on our rig while going down the highway is something that I want to avoid. Unfortunately, I am not a tire guy and was hoping that someone has a recommendation on tires that they can share? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
    Steve C. Mesa Az.

Originally posted by Take 5 View Post
    Hello All,
    My wife and I will be picking up our first RV (S-Class Solitude 2930RL) in another month, and I have seen a lot of YouTube videos about tires on RV's being bad. The thought of having a blow-out on our rig while going down the highway is something that I want to avoid. Unfortunately, I am not a tire guy and was hoping that someone has a recommendation on tires that they can share? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
    Steve C. Mesa Az.
    Welcome Steve , glad to have you join us.
    The S 2930RL is our "like to have" camper. We seen it at the National Rally in 2018 when it first came out and really like it.

I am not sure but I think Grand Design is switching to Goodyear tires , if your new Solitude has these on it you would have one of the best tires , I have heard. If your unit still has the "G" rated west lake tires and you do not travel a lot then I would just use those. We have the west lakes on our unit and they have held up well , we have not done any long trips.

If you are going to do a lot of traveling and ling trips you may wish to switch to Goodyears or Salun (spelling?).
    Plenty here will voice all good opinions.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks so much Brian. I will continue to do my due diligence, and I appreciate your feedback.

Steve

Comment

As long as your tires are G rated you are good to go. The brand is not as important as the rating.
        2017 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by Take 5 View Post
          Hello All,
          Steve C. Mesa Az.
          Steve,
          An article I found informative and I've got bookmarked after reading many, many tire threads : http://www.rvtiresafety.net/search/label/Speed%20Rating

A few quotes that are significant IMHO:

Tire failures usually occur because of cumulative internal structural damage from heat and time. The excess heat comes from the combination of speed/inflation/load.

...tires can tolerate a certain level of abuse be it over-load, under inflation or over speed. But every minute a tire is operating outside its design capacity the driver is consuming large portions of the tire life and the tire will eventually fail. Sometimes in a catastrophic manner.

When that happens all to often the driver says
          "I was just driving 50 mph down the road and had checked the air that morning when the tire blew out. must have been a defective tire". In reality it was the driver's conscious decision to ignore the specifications for the tire be it load, inflation or speed and many miles of improper operation finally caught up with the driver.

For what it's worth--I swapped out the Westlakes on my 315RLTS for Endurances because I could, so I did. It was purely an emotional decision based on reading too much. A hazard associated with being on a forum like this one.

-Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Per Grand Design, the Goodyear tires are only replacing the Westlakes that were load range E. If you have the load range G Westlakes, you should be fine. If you want more peace of mind, go with Sailun load range G tires - tough as nails.

Rob
            Rob & Laura
            U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
            2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
            2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
            (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
            Full time since 08/2015

Comment

We upgraded from Reflection 337 to Solitude S 2930 which has Westlake G rated tires. They currently have 3 to 4 thousand miles and are wearing very evenly. I would agree with others who say the G rated Westlakes look very robust and have a lot less issues than the E rated. I will continue with these OE tires with good confidence but have them balanced when we begin to travel in April or May.
              Last edited by steve gravelle; 12-17-2019, 04:25 PM. Reason: Mistyping
              2020 Solitude 2930RL S-Class

Comment

Originally posted by steve gravelle View Post
                We upgraded from Reflection 337 to Solitude S 2930 which has Westlake G rated tires. They currently have 3 to 4 thousand miles and are wearing very evenly. I would agree with others who say the G rated Westlakes look very robust and have a lot less issues than the E rated. I will continue with these OE tires with good confidence but have them balanced when we begin to travel in April or May.
                Thanks for the input, Steve. I put a lot of weight (no pun intended) on what you have to say about tires, suspension, etc.

Rob
                Rob & Laura
                U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Rob, am I correct in believing you folks are getting a 310 Solitude? Duh, it is in your signature! Great!
                  2020 Solitude 2930RL S-Class

Comment

Originally posted by steve gravelle View Post
                    Rob, am I correct in believing you folks are getting a 310 Solitude? Duh, it is in your signature! Great!
                    Yes - good detective work, Steve!

Rob
                    Rob & Laura
                    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Thanks so much for your feedback, guys. Very informative and I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. I know it is coming with G rated tires, so I guess I will use these and see how they work out. I just bought a TPMS as well. Thanks again,
                      Steve C.

Comment

Working...
                      X