Put second spare back under trailer and installed lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put second spare back under trailer and installed lock

At the lats minute I decided to carry a second spare for the trailer. I had moved my first spare to the back of the trailer bumper, but kept the hanger in place (sealed up) To prevent it from dropping during travel I added a clevis pin lock to the crank tube. Parts used were a 1/4" by 3" clevis pin and a cut down 3/8 eye bolt set through the frame with locking nuts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1067s.jpg Views:	6 Size:	151.4 KB ID:	90661 This was a relative easy project - should have done it sooner. The fun part was drilling the 1/4" hole in the round tube. On edit - when drilling be careful - lots of wires behind this area. I also should have moved the hole a smidge right to get the washer off the reinforcing plate. Hard to see this area when trying to drill.
    Keith

Edit spare went to trailer receiver hitch, not back of truck
    Last edited by Yoda; 07-21-2022, 08:31 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Did you have it drop down in the past?
    2020 GD 320G
    2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyB View Post
      Did you have it drop down in the past?
      Yes a little over time. Fortunately I caught it - others have lost the tire entirely Also I up sized from 15 to 16" tires and this one is heavier than the other.
      Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Yes a little over time. Fortunately I caught it - others have lost the tire entirely Also I up sized from 15 to 16" tires and this one is heavier than the other.
        Keith
        That's a little scary. Nice solution though.
        2020 GD 320G
        2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyB View Post

That's a little scary. Nice solution though.
          Not my solution - borrowed it from others here
          Keith

Comment

C&R did a second spare under the trailer keeping it out of the truck box.
            With your 'lets get this thing modded' attitude, I'm a little disappointed you just tossed the second spare in the back of the truck. lol
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
              C&R did a second spare under the trailer keeping it out of the truck box.
              With your 'lets get this thing modded' attitude, I'm a little disappointed you just tossed the second spare in the back of the truck. lol
              No room - did you see the thread on the support system for the generators and fuel cans? https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...ators-and-fuel the rest of the bed has tools, jacks, extra food/drink etc. I specifically loaded the truck to keep weight out of the trailer. I need another 1.5 inches of squat to be level and from what I can measure Ill be there. Wont know until tomorrow when I hook up to leave. As mounted the spare is not going anywhere, unless the support cable breaks. If there is an issue I have a plane B to re-arrange the fuel cans, but I will not be happy.

Thanks
              Keith

ON edit I see where you thought it was the back of the truck, but the first spare got moved to the trailer receiver hitch , See post #26 here https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...re-cover/page2
              Last edited by Yoda; 07-21-2022, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Update Good thing I was carrying two. Had a side wall separation on one of my two year old Goodyear Endurance tires. I caught it before it blew. Noticed the bulge while fueling up. Replaced it in Whitehorse - Its worth it weight in gold

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                  Update Good thing I was carrying two. Had a side wall separation on one of my two year old Goodyear Endurance tires. I caught it before it blew. Noticed the bulge while fueling up. Replaced it in Whitehorse - Its worth it weight in gold
                  Good to hear from you.

May this be the only trouble you have.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Good to hear from you.

May this be the only trouble you have.

Brian
                    What helped was my Milwaukee impact gun - made quick work of it once I figured out how to attach the sockets The other thing that worked was the Anderson rapid jack https://www.etrailer.com/Wheel-Chock...iABEgLpBPD_BwE
                    Keith

Comment

Its hare to see in the picture, but there is a bulge - was bigger when loaded
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1072 Tire Bulge.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	91661
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1073 s.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	91662

Keith

Comment

Working...
                      X