• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolts missing on disc brake Momentum 320G

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220802_211328078.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	91722Well, here is an interesting problem I just discovered on my trailer. Walking down my driveway, I noticed some aluminum flakes on the ground. It was along the path my trailer takes when I am parking it, and with my current issues with the spring packs on it, crawled underneath and found what shows in the pictures. All four bolts holding the disc brake are missing. It has pulled the hydraulic line, but I don't see any leaks. A good amount of gouging on the inside of the rim, where the caliper has been resting on it. Not sure when this actually happened, as I got back from a 800 mile trip last week with it, although I don't think it has been this way for a long time. Yes, scary on the potential of what could have happened. I greased the shackles, and CRE3000 several months ago, and I am pretty sure if any of the bolts were missing, I would have noticed it.

Coincidence that happened on the side the dealer wants to change the shackle bracket, and both springs, not so sure. Writing an email to the factory, and will visit my dealer (without the trailer) tomorrow. I am thinking that finding the correct bolts and replacing them will be enough to safely move the trailer. Will have to have someone look at the rim, and determine if it is safe to continue to use it.

Any ideas, or suggestions are welcome.
    Attached Files
    2021 GD Momentum 320G 8K Axle
    2023 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SB CC 4x4 Dmax

Damn! I'm checking the caliper support bolts on my 350g when I get home! Thanks for sharing. I have the 8k axles as well. The disc brakes are worth every penny.
    2022 350Gr 8k axles, factory solar
    2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax SRW 4wd
    2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5

Comment

Would seem like somebody missed the loctite and the torque wrench in the assembly process . . .

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Wileykid -- yikes! Where the brakes installed by GD (factory installed) or were they an aftermarket upgrade?
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

That is certainly scary. How do the bolts look on the other axles?
          2020 GD 320G
          2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

The axles/discs are the factory upgrade done on the assembly line. All the other bolts look good, but I need to find out the torque setting and check them. Sent an email to GD, but sure it will be a bit before they respond, also going to send an email to Dexter and see what they say. I would think the axle/brake assembly comes complete from Dexter to GD as it is all Dexter parts. I need to get the bolt size and torque setting from Dexter at minimum.

It is luck I will take, looking at it a little more this morning, the only thing that prevented the caliper from completely spinning around and breaking the hydraulic line, was the top plate on the leaf springs that hold the axle u-bolts. The caliper was stopped by it, although the bleed screw also apparently was hitting the plate as the two rubbing against each other has caused a significant gouge in the screw.

This all is going to be interesting, as I think the replacement parts should be on GD or Dexter, even though the warranty on the trailer has expired. Or at least a goodwill gesture, as this was something not done properly on the assembly line. We shall see.
            Last edited by Wileykid; 08-03-2022, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Axle warranty is different than trailer warranty. IIRC Dexter has a 5 year almost no questions asked warranty.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                Axle warranty is different than trailer warranty. IIRC Dexter has a 5 year almost no questions asked warranty.
                Thanks, looked that up this morning, and email to Dexter warranty has been sent.

Comment

I've searched my sources and can't find the torque value for those bolts. Hopefully, Dexter will provide it for you.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                    I've searched my sources and can't find the torque value for those bolts. Hopefully, Dexter will provide it for you.

Jim
                    Dexter service said it is 75 ftlbs

Comment

Originally posted by Wileykid View Post

Dexter service said it is 75 ftlbs
                      Did Dexter mention the use of Loctite? This is a "best practice" for bolted connections such as this.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Did Dexter mention the use of Loctite? This is a "best practice" for bolted connections such as this.

Rob
                        Blue? Green? Red? All I know is there's several different types for different applications--which one is appropriate for these bolts, Rob?
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Blue? Green? Red? All I know is there's several different types for different applications--which one is appropriate for these bolts, Rob?
                          I Would think RED since it's not a bolt you want coming out anytime soon.
                          2020 GD 320G
                          2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Looking more closely at this and comparing to the similar Titan EoH trailer brakes that I installed myself, I note that these attachments are nuts and bolts, using lock washers. Dexter acquired Titan a few years ago, so I suspect that the system Dexter supplies to Grand Design has its roots in the Titan design. I would still use a bit of blue Loctite (which I use on most things that I bolt together) but looking back through the Titan installation instructions, these make no mention of Loctite.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1798.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	91839
                            Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

They did not mention using Loctite when I was talking to them, and I did not think about asking about it. I was talking to one of the warranty guys, and was surprised that he had that info already pulled up. I looked at the washers on the other axles, and they are the split type. I do not see any evidence of any Loctite.

Cate&Rob good picture, on my trailer, the bolts are the opposite direction for whatever reason, and checking the torque is going to be difficult for the upper two as the u-clamps for the axle are in the way. If the bottom two bolts check out, I am not going to worry about the upper two, otherwise I will need to pull the wheel. Or I am just going to wait, as I told Dexter that the trailer is not moving, and repairs will need to be done in my driveway.

I have been thinking, and the only explanation of this occurring I can come up with, is that they hand threaded the bolts on, and never went back to torque them. Hand tight or a couple of turns of a socket wrench tight with the lock washers, I could see lasting for some time than going, but tightened down, much less torqued down with those washers, I just don't see one, much less all four going.
                              Last edited by Wileykid; 08-04-2022, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X