What is this noise? (Bearings?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this noise? (Bearings?)

We took a trip this weekend into a mountainous area, probably for the first time with our Imagine.

I noticed when we had a Right Hand Curve (turning rightish), the camper would make a noise.

Is this the sound of a Bearing going bad?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BXZavT553xuT43yYA

When I got to the campground, I took measurement of the hub assembly temp, Right side was 120. Left Side was 150. Didn't seem hot enough to be SUPER concerned, but the noise was creeping me out.
    Mike
    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

It sounds like a bearing...kind of surprised you could hear it in the tow vehicle.
    It would, at the very least have me jacking up the left side and checking endplay.
    If excessive endplay found, do the bearing seating routine.
    If I was not happy after checking endplay, I'd spin the tire listening for how rough it is or isn't, then pull the offending hub if I found one rough.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

I agree with Scott (except for right side not left side ) that I would be lifting the tires off the ground and spinning them. It is a curious scraping/dragging sound . . . could it be something in your hitch or almost sounds like chains dragging the ground ?

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        I agree with Scott (except for right side not left side )

Rob
        You sure about that? During a right turn the left bearings are doing the lions share of work...No?
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
          You sure about that? During a right turn the left bearings are doing the lions share of work...No?
          Good point Scott! I was thinking from the video that the noise was coming from the right side . . . but it was not that directional. I guess, once I had the jack out, I would check both sides for any difference in sound or feel.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I would have someone standing along the road and drive by. I would not think you could hear a wheel bearing that far away and inside a vehicle going down a road and if you could it would probably be the end of the wheel bearing.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

If you have the jack out and are planning to lift axle ends to check end play, do all of them. In my experience, noise travels like bad news, never where you expected it to start from.....

Also while doing the checking, inspect the backing plate for clearance. Hard to tell, but it almost sounds like the noise is rhythmic, meaning it's at a defined interval. This usually means contact between 2 items happening. Does the noise change with speed?
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Sometimes broken springs or other hardware laying in the drum (if you have drums) can make a squeaky noise similar to this. Bearings tend to growl (hard to describe that in writing) but can change sound with different maneuvers.

Time to disassemble and investigate.

Jim

Comment

I dragged the trailer to a Tractor Trailer Service Center cause he could look at it that day. He inspected the hubs (He did not repack), but he said they were nice and tight. They spun with none of the "growl" he would expect of bad bearings. (Funny Guest , he used the same word). Axle and hangers were all correct.

He also indicated, well, not disbelief, but at least surprise that I would hear a noise that clear, from as far back as the Camper Axles.

He gave me two options I should investigate.

1. He thinks it's my truck. (proximity to the noise is a big factor here)
                  2. He also offered that it might be the tires on the right side impacting and rubbing on the wheel well.

I'm not sure about the wheel well. Sounds wrong. Listening to the noise again, it sounds like a belt squeal.

It's just weird I only hear it with the camper hooked up, when I'm turning right at speeds of 40ish or more. And the right turn has to be significant.
                  Mike
                  2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

I would be looking at the rear or underneath the bed of the truck, the noise may be just bouncing off of the front of the trailer.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
                      I dragged the trailer to a Tractor Trailer Service Center cause he could look at it that day. He inspected the hubs (He did not repack), but he said they were nice and tight. They spun with none of the "growl" he would expect of bad bearings. (Funny Guest , he used the same word). Axle and hangers were all correct.

He also indicated, well, not disbelief, but at least surprise that I would hear a noise that clear, from as far back as the Camper Axles.

He gave me two options I should investigate.

1. He thinks it's my truck. (proximity to the noise is a big factor here)
                      2. He also offered that it might be the tires on the right side impacting and rubbing on the wheel well.

I'm not sure about the wheel well. Sounds wrong. Listening to the noise again, it sounds like a belt squeal.

It's just weird I only hear it with the camper hooked up, when I'm turning right at speeds of 40ish or more. And the right turn has to be significant.
                      Good news!

You will need to keep digging but at least your axles are healthy. The growl term is a common description for failing wheel bearings.

Jim

Comment

A truck drivetrain noise that only occurs in a turn points to an axle differential. But . . . would usually happen going right or left.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Could be many things including chassis components due to body roll.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                          X