Alaska trip may have bent something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My research just hit a quality question point

I called the Dexter Aurora office to get some price quotes and found a surprise. The Dexter Aurora office generally sells Rockwell axles as they are roughly $250 to $300. 6K Rockwell complete with brakes $529.25 and Dexter 794.07 Rockwell springs $66 each and Dexter our of stock. Shipping around $300 for the set.

I know everyone has Dexter parts or equivalent, but not sure about Rockwell. E-Trailer indicates brake parts are interchangeable at least for the 3500 lb series, but does that apply to the 5200 to 6000 ones? On my old trailer when I went to 6K axles they were off brand, but they gave me a cross reference chart fron the factory on the components (bearings, brakes, etc).

So is anyone familiar with Rockwell, or should I stick with Dexter and pay the premium which is the way I am leaning. Tying to keep this thread informative.

Thanks
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Dexter bought Rockwell a while back. I heard that all Dexter/Rockwell service parts would be sold under the Rockwell name. I have used hub grease seals sold in Rockwell American packaging but identical to seals made in China. It is a “global” economy . . .

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

FYI, Dexter, Rockwell, AL-KO, and Kodiak (brake systems) are all part of the same brand now.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

I recently had a similar experience with inboard tire wear on my 303 Relflection, probably caused when I ran over a shovel that bounced out of a trailer in front of me while driving down I-20 in Shreveport, LA. It ended up breaking a belt in the tire, which was replaced. At the end of that trip, I broke a r/s front leaf spring (Lippert OEM) which resulted in excessive wear on both of the front axle tires. After replacing both r/s leaf springs, I still developed uneven wear on two of the tires, so I took the trailer to a well known frame and wheel shop where both axles were re-bent (aligned) using Hunter equipment. Cost of the alignment was $900. This cured the uneven tire wear for awhile until I hit a deep pot hole in the rain which resulted in uneven tire wear on the right front tire. The other three tires continue to wear normally. Rather than pay $900 for another alignment, I decided to replace the front axle. The stock axle was a 5200 lb. Lippert axle and I replaced it with a 6000 lb. Dexter axle. I ordered a bare axle since I have disc brakes and don't need any of the electric brake hardware. I was told the 6000 lb axle tube is thicker than the 5200 lb axle, but I don't know this for a fact. I didn't replace the springs since the right side has fairly new 2600 lb springs and the left side has 3000 lb springs I installed earlier. Total cost (incl. shipping) of the new axle was $500. It took me about 3 hours to replace the axle and time will tell if this fixes my tire wear problem.

Bill
          2017 Reflection 303RLS
          2017 GMC Sierra 2500HD w/ 6.6L Duramax

Comment

sylbill

Thanks for the input. Roads are getting rough all over. I am still thinking this over.
            Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

New question
              Not knowing exactly how the axles bolt up, do the new springs come with new bushings? Should I order new wet bolts too and new bushing for the center equalizer. What about shackles? I guess I need to inspect and better yet have the frame shop go through them. More information to gather.

Thanks
              Keith

Comment

Keith, The dexter replacements I was sent included EVERYTHING. New bolts and shackles even lug nuts. The Dexters will probably not come with wet bolts, but ask when you order.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                X