Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it normal for a new 22MLE to only have ONE self-adjusting brake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it normal for a new 22MLE to only have ONE self-adjusting brake?

Hello All,

I noticed that I had little to no braking authority on my brand new 2023 XLS 22MLE (gain of 10 barely slowed me down), so I figured I'd adjust the brakes. As I started around, all of the brakes were well out of adjustment (which I expected), and all were manual-adjustment type brakes. However, the last wheel (Passenger front) had a forward self-adjusting brake kit on it. (It needed to be adjusted as well.) But I thought it odd that only one of the wheels had self-adjusting brakes, whereas the other three were manual.

Has anyone else run into this?

Melsman
    Last edited by Melsman; 08-23-2022, 08:04 PM.
    2023 XLS 22MLE towed by a 2017 F150. This is our forth RV, though our first travel trailer.

Hi Melsman,

​​​​​​Welcome to our owners technical forum. Have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

As you would expect . . . all brakes would normally be either manual adjusted or auto adjusted. Is it possible that the auto adjusters are out of position on the brakes that appear to be only manually adjusted? This would be difficult to see through the adjuster hole . . . you would probably have to pull the hubs.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I agree with Rob, the auto adjusters may be hard to see, or they may have become dislodged during a braking event due to the mis adjustment.

On Mine (never ran over 5.5 on the GM brake gain) the adjusters were up and out of the way. I believe to tighten (make the shoe closer to the drum) the adjuster needed to go down down on the adjuster wheel instead of up to decrease clearance (up on the brake spoon vs down as I recall on automobiles).
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2

Trailer adjusters are “backwards” because they adjust going forward whereas the old car/truck adjuster worked when backing up.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          Hi Melsman,

... As you would expect . . . all brakes would normally be either manual adjusted or auto adjusted. Is it possible that the auto adjusters are out of position on the brakes that appear to be only manually adjusted? This would be difficult to see through the adjuster hole . . . you would probably have to pull the hubs.

Rob
          Thanks for replying Rob - Yes; I confirmed that the other three were manual. As Joseph mentioned above, the adjuster "teeth" are different between the manual and adjusting brake types, and move in opposite directions to tighten. I also pulled one of the other hubs because I was confused by what I was seeing!

Melsman
          2023 XLS 22MLE towed by a 2017 F150. This is our forth RV, though our first travel trailer.

Comment

That means a call to Dexter. Have both axle serial numbers in hand when you call. Both ends should be the same per axle at least.
            Joseph
            Tow
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks, Joseph. I probably should have mentioned they were Lippert axles, but it appears that the situation warrants a phone call nonetheless. I was just curious if there was a reason for only having one self-adjusting brake on a dual-axle trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Melsman View Post
                Thanks, Joseph. I probably should have mentioned they were Lippert axles, but it appears that the situation warrants a phone call nonetheless. I was just curious if there was a reason for only having one self-adjusting brake on a dual-axle trailer.
                This has to be a manufacturing oversight. I would call GDRV at 574-825-9679 with your VIN and axle serial numbers to discuss.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks for the contact information, Jim. I shall do so.

Melsman

Comment

I think it might be a federal law, but trailers over a certain weight in Texas must have brakes. Any MFG should not be mixing self adjusting and non self adjusting component on one axle let along on a system of axles. That's a recipe for a disaster as if you check only the one self adjusting one, you get a false sense of security. In today's world, that leads to lawyers.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Betcha they were short on parts!! Would like to know.

Jeff
                      Jeff & Pam
                      2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

As a follow-up…

I did verify without a doubt that one of the four hubs was auto adjusting; the other 3 were manual. (With indisputable photographic evidence.) I sent an email to both GD and Lippert (after a poor experience with the call in line) and Lippert is sending me a conversion kit free of charge. I emphasized with both of them that such an oversight could be dangerous and that they need to address such a possibility through their individual QA processes. Neither commented on this latter point (which given the litigious nature of our society does not surprise me), I can only hope that they will incorporate some sort of quick check to keep this from happening again.

Melsman
                        Last edited by Melsman; 09-16-2022, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Dexter did have an axle recall because someone forgot to install races in the hubs. It's manufacturing, things happen, and if I had to guess, the right side of the assembly line does not know what the left side is doing. As the parts roll down the chain, if one gets rejected and no one pays attention, things get out of sync.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Melsman View Post
                            As a follow-up…

I did verify without a doubt that one of the four hubs was auto adjusting; the other 3 were manual. (With indisputable photographic evidence.) I sent an email to both GD and Lippert (after a poor experience with the call in line) and Lippert is sending me a conversion kit free of charge. I emphasized with both of them that such an oversight could be dangerous and that they need to address such a possibility through their individual QA processes. Neither commented on this latter point (which given the litigious nature of our society does not surprise me), I can only hope that they will incorporate some sort of quick check to keep this from happening again.

Melsman
                            Are you saying they have a kit that will convert an auto-adjusting brake to manual adjusting? If so, I'd really appreciate your letting me know the part number when it arrives.

GD was very kind to send me a replacement drum and brake assembly after my warranty expired. The brake assembly was incorrectly sent as auto-adjusting. I needed the drum worse than the brake assembly, and was fortunate to already have a manual brake assembly available so I did not complain. It would be great to be able to convert it to manual.

Jerry
                            2020 Reflection 273MK
                            2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

I would think that if you removed the pull cable . . . you would remove the self adjusting feature.

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X