Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it normal for a new 22MLE to only have ONE self-adjusting brake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    I would think that if you removed the pull cable . . . you would remove the self adjusting feature.

Rob
    One would think so, but if there is a kit I'd like to know what's in it. I didn't know there would be an issue in running a self-adjusting brake with a manual adjusting brake as long as you knew what was going on and adjusted accordingly. But I can see where issues could arise.
    2020 Reflection 273MK
    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

I would think that if you removed the pull cable . . . you would remove the self adjusting feature.

Rob
      I checked today and it looks like the adjustment wheel is different. That may be what's in the conversion kit. Not sure if just removing the cable will do it. If Melsman doesn't post anything about the conversion kit I'll call Dexter.
      2020 Reflection 273MK
      2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Rob
        You are correct. And that is, in my opinion, a quick work around but not a proper solution mostly because the adjuster still operates opposite the other three, the adjuster’s teeth are not ‘bi-directional”, and the retaining spring doesn’t hold the adjuster correctly, possibly allowing the adjuster to loosen. In any event, I’d prefer it be fixed properly. I don’t like leaving things like this to chance. Mr. Murphy and I have danced too many times, and he usually wins.

Melsman
        2023 XLS 22MLE towed by a 2017 F150. This is our forth RV, though our first travel trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

Are you saying they have a kit that will convert an auto-adjusting brake to manual adjusting? If so, I'd really appreciate your letting me know the part number when it arrives…

Jerry
          Hi Jerry -

I will be glad to do so.

Melsman

2023 XLS 22MLE towed by a 2017 F150. This is our forth RV, though our first travel trailer.

Comment

Please take pictures of both when you get them apart. This is partly for my knowledge.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
              Please take pictures of both when you get them apart. This is partly for my knowledge.
              Here you go... These are some of the pictures I sent to GD and Lippert.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Psngr Side Wheels.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	95525 This picture is the passenger side, both wheels.

Name:	Rear Psngr Side-manual.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	95526Passenger side, rear wheel. (Manual adjustment.)

Name:	Frnt Psnger Side - auto.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	95527Passenger side, front wheel. (Auto adjustment. Notice adjuster cable across brake assembly.)

Comment

Thanks for the pictures. I see the self adjusting shoe has an extra part on it for the cable to run over. Be interested to see how the adjuster area is also different. I know the wheel on the adjuster is a bit different.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Melsman View Post
                  As a follow-up…

I did verify without a doubt that one of the four hubs was auto adjusting; the other 3 were manual. (With indisputable photographic evidence.) I sent an email to both GD and Lippert (after a poor experience with the call in line) and Lippert is sending me a conversion kit free of charge.

Melsman
                  Did you ever receive the Lippert conversion kit? I'm interested in the part number for the kit as I have one spare self-adjusting brake I need to convert.

Thanks.

2020 Reflection 273MK
                  2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

To Lippert’s credit, they sent me a complete hub; not just a conversion kit. I’ll be installing it within the next couple of weeks so I’ll see if I can figure out which parts you’d need to convert.

Melsman

Comment

I hate reading these posts. Now I need to check mine. Anyway, I am better off knowing.
                      Grand Design 2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE, Ford F-150 Lariat with the big screen TV, 3.5L. E2 weight distribution hitch.

Comment

Interesting post…. I just took delivery this week of a 22 MLE 2023 model. Looks like I’ll be crawling underneath it soon to see if I don’t have mixed Manual / auto adjusting brakes. If so it’s going back to the dealer.

Comment

Working...
                        X