Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do stock electric brakes normally not work in reverse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do stock electric brakes normally not work in reverse?

During my trip I noticed when backing into spots that I did not seem to really feel the trailer brakes as you do going forward. I wold hear the same click but no braking effort. Yesterday when I was getting ready to leave Salt Lake I had a really long spot and backed up and used the manual brake controller - no trailer braking whatever, but when I moved forward I had immediate hard breaking. This got me to thinking on the way the breaks work that the activate magnet pushes on the shoes going forward, but might possibly not work the same in reverse?

Anyone know for sure?

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

They do not work backing up.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      They do not work backing up.

Brian
      Thanks
      Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I have a 200ft long gravel driveway thats about a 6% grade at one point, its always fun trying to back my rig down it when the snow is on it.https://www.etrailer.com/question-94...er%20direction.
        I believe the braking force is considerably less in reverse than in forward.
        2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
          I have a 200ft long gravel driveway thats about a 6% grade at one point, its always fun trying to back my rig down it when the snow is on it.https://www.etrailer.com/question-94...er%20direction.
          I believe the braking force is considerably less in reverse than in forward.
          Interesting - Next time I chat with Dexter Ill double check on that effort.
          Thanks

Comment

Not so fast on the not working in reverse (I'm not trying to be argumentative or disrespectful). I believe it's up to the electric controller if the brakes will work in reverse. My Prodigy controller had a reverse mode that deactivate the function of the brakes when backing. This was because it caused issues with control in some instances.

Unless there is some thing that prevents the magnet from moving in the opposite direction when power is supplied when moving in reverse, it should move the arm and by using the cam mechanism activate the brakes.

I also found this: https://www.etrailer.com/question-94804.html
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

When the magnet is energized the forward rotation of the wheel pulls the braking mechanism forcing brake pad pressure against the drum. When the magnet is energized when backing up, if the controller energizes it, it will pull the brake arm away from the drum, at least in theory. I believe our Prodigy did thus as well.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                Not so fast on the not working in reverse (I'm not trying to be argumentative or disrespectful). I believe it's up to the electric controller if the brakes will work in reverse. My Prodigy controller had a reverse mode that deactivate the function of the brakes when backing. This was because it caused issues with control in some instances.

Unless there is some thing that prevents the magnet from moving in the opposite direction when power is supplied when moving in reverse, it should move the arm and by using the cam mechanism activate the brakes.

I also found this: https://www.etrailer.com/question-94804.html
                Joseph
                I was using the manual activation on the stock Ford controller and could hear the magnets energize (click sound) - just felt no braking, but I did not roll very far back. I do my pull test using the manual activator too.

Thanks for the help everyone.
                Last edited by Yoda; 08-24-2022, 02:00 PM.

Comment

This shows pretty well how the brakes work, forward and reverse.

Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Keith, braking could be less in reverse also. I have not watched the link from Ted at this time.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Could the answer be yes and no? What I mean it could depend on the design of the actuating arm and how it reacts when the magnet is energized. The gif below (from my RVSA notes) shows a system that I can't visualize would work in reverse.

Click image for larger version

Name:	anibrake2.gif
Views:	701
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	93258

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The video posted by Ted TedS in post #9 shows how the brakes are applied in reverse. The reduced braking is probably due to the upper part of the back shoe not being very well burnished to fit the drum. howson Howard's attachment shows how forward apply starts with the forward shoe (left in the picture) and this then applies the back shoe from the lower end.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The mechanical part of the electric brake application works in both directions. The brake controller outputs different voltages depending on speed, foot pressure, settings, etc. and possibly direction. I'm sure after-market and OEM controllers vary also.
                          Jim (& Sharon)
                          2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
                          2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
                          The toys:
                          2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                          2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

howson Howard, Unfortunately I think your GIF is only showing arm swing in 1 direction. If the arm truly only went in 1 direction, why would the second brake shoe be needed?

Internal drum brakes are a unique thing. The brakes "SELF ACTUATE" partially as the top of the shoe in the direction of rotation comes in contact with the internal of the drum. In and IDEAL situation, the shoes would actuate at opposing ends. Meaning: Going forward, the front shoe top would contact the drum and the bottom of the rear shoe would contact the drum.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

The feeling of diminished braking while backing in my case is likely the fact that the entire rig is 180 degrees from what the trucks brake bias (front to rear) and the trailer controller settings are going forward.

Great discussion with lots of info.
                              2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Working...
                              X