Suspension groaning and popping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension groaning and popping

We purchased a 2022 Imagine XLS 23NHE in September of 2021. It currently has less than 600 miles on it. We've not taken it off-road or overloaded it. When we picked it up I noticed noises coming from underneath the trailer and was told that was the equalizing hitch (Equalizer) doing its thing. I lubed the hitch per the manufacturer's instructions and it made no difference. I then had my wife make the attached video walking alongside the camper while I drove slowly on smooth blacktop. When turning the noise becomes even worse. I've got an appointment with the dealer this week but I'd like to go armed with some outside opinions.
    Thanks - Mike

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PSC...ew?usp=sharing

Mine did the same thing. In my learning journey I found the 14 Zerk fittings on the suspension parts. I greased them and all was fine. These components are called wet bolts and they hold the springs on the frame and to other suspension parts between the axles. Not all trailers have these wet bolts, some have never lube nylon bushings and just regular bolts. Many have replaced these with a “wet bolt kit”. Many stories of the nylon bushings not lasting very long.

in my case, one of the 14 wet bolts would not take any grease. I replaced it myself which was a big project for me but I learned a lot and would do it again if needed.

I grease them every 3000 miles or so and all is quiet.

Comment

These trailers will make noise since there is quite a bit of clearance between the springs and hanger brackets. And leaf springs make noise as well since they are metal on metal between the leaf's. But in your case it might be the Equalizer hitch contributing to the noise.

These Equalizer Sway Bracket Jackets will eliminate all noise from your hitch if used along with proper lubrication.

https://www.etrailer.com/search/Equalizer+Jacket

Jim

Comment

MidwestCamper. I have seen those “jackets” and was wondering if they would reduce the anti sway capabilities of the hitch by reducing friction. What are your thoughts on that?

Comment

Originally posted by FlyStar View Post
          MidwestCamper. I have seen those “jackets” and was wondering if they would reduce the anti sway capabilities of the hitch by reducing friction. What are your thoughts on that?
          I believe friction could be slightly reduced versus steel on steel, but I have not experienced any sway in using them. Used to drive me nuts hearing all the noise from the hitch where today it is completely silent.

I'll add more from my experience on the Equalizer. Occasionally the square trunnion bar brackets that bolt to the main body of the hitch will need re-torqued along with other fasteners. I had noticed some motion (not sway but unsteady) on a trip a couple years ago and found the bolts were in need of re-torqueing. Once tightened down, the rig was steady again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EQ 1200.PNG
Views:	353
Size:	358.3 KB
ID:	93646

Jim
          Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2022, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
            These trailers will make noise since there is quite a bit of clearance between the springs and hanger brackets. And leaf springs make noise as well since they are metal on metal between the leaf's. But in your case it might be the Equalizer hitch contributing to the noise.

These Equalizer Sway Bracket Jackets will eliminate all noise from your hitch if used along with proper lubrication.

https://www.etrailer.com/search/Equalizer+Jacket

Jim
            Dang! Wish I'd known about this at the rally--we had this exact question during the Roundtable discussion but I don't think Neil, Brian or myself had ever heard of these jackets. Copied your post to the Reference Material section. Good stuff, Jim--thanks!
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Your Welcome Howard,

You may also want to post Jim's findings on loose hitch components. It was an eye opener. After borrowing techs from work to keep my hitch components tight I retired last March. Now after retirement I opted for a 600lb torque wrench from Amazon. Not high end but certainly better than nothing.

When installing the hitch sideways in the receiver, the wrench can be used effortlessly even on the 400+ spec hitch ball.

Jim

Comment

Guest Jim, are you using Nike (Reebok or other brand) gloves on the hand used to tighten that nut to 400+ ft*lbs? Put in receiver sideways, use bottom of foot and body weight to reach click.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                  Guest Jim, are you using Nike (Reebok or other brand) gloves on the hand used to tighten that nut to 400+ ft*lbs? Put in receiver sideways, use bottom of foot and body weight to reach click.
                  No gloves. But yes to put a portion of ones body weight (107.5 lbs of 200) on a 4ft wrench works effortlessly when the ball mount is in the receiver sideways.. I looked up the torque and its 430 ft lbs. LOL

Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X