Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jay HHI6818
    replied
    I crawled underneath our 2023 337 RLS which has Curt ABS axles. Notches on rear edge must be used to determine speed of each tire
    .Click image for larger version

Name:	38867168-178C-4CD9-BD57-99E727D8F5BE.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	109949
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Cate&Rob
    replied
    Jay HHI6818

If you tow on icy roads, trailer ABS is a good thing. See the LCI (now owns Curt) videos. There are mitigation strategies for those of us who don’t have trailer ABS. Basically dial back the trailer brake gain and drive really cautiously. Trailer ABS is only available with electric drum brakes. I would much rather have EoH trailer disc brakes for the 99% of the time that you need maximum trailer braking.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Jay HHI6818
    replied
    Wife and I looked at a 2023 Reflection 337RLS had Curt axels /ABS for $850 charge

Leave a comment:

• Jlawles2
    replied
    I guess that would depend on the system. Could be a multi function light. Steady on means active, flashing means fault. As a flashing light is more likely to draw attention than a steady.

Leave a comment:

• familytruckster4
    replied
    It was a 50/50 guess whether it was an activation or a fault.

Leave a comment:

• Cate&Rob
    replied
    Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
    Interesting point on how an error would be reported. I know that some of the big 53ft van trailers will have an amber ABS light at the rear, I suspect that light illuminates if there is a system error. If anyone notices an out of place marker light on these trailers I would guess thats your signal.
    I have seen that amber light flashing while transport trucks were braking on a wet surface. I assumed that was to tell the driver in his mirror that the trailer ABS was active since it would be a system independent from the tractor ABS.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• familytruckster4
    replied
    Interesting point on how an error would be reported. I know that some of the big 53ft van trailers will have an amber ABS light at the rear, I suspect that light illuminates if there is a system error. If anyone notices an out of place marker light on these trailers I would guess thats your signal.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
    Guest Jim, thanks for the picture. Now when someone pulls one apart, can they confirm it the black ring on the inside of the pilot bore in the hub is steel or plastic. it almost looks like a plastic insulator to impede the sensor reading. However that makes no sense as those sensors are not powerful enough to read from that distance in my experience.
    Joseph,

The target ring would have to be ferrous metal (or magnets used) for hall effect, where most likely the black coating is to protect from corrosion. And the sensor would need to be mounted in close proximity to operate. Another approach is to use a non ferrous target wheel where the sensor is windowing the drum. An optical sensor would be expensive where they would be cost conscious, but anything is possible.
    Now what would happen to the system when the ring becomes coated in grease?

I suspect the controller would have some way of notifying the driver (maybe through an LED) to report diagnostics and the system would be disabled to work as a standard braking system.

Jim
    Last edited by Guest; 09-16-2022, 07:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Cate&Rob
    replied
    Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Here is a drum for use with ABS. The target ring is on the inside so the sensor can be protected from the elements. The ribs on the outside of the drum are to increase surface area for cooling.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...le/9-44-3.html

Jim
    Thanks Jim . . . makes more sense .

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Jlawles2
    replied
    Guest Jim, thanks for the picture. Now when someone pulls one apart, can they confirm it the black ring on the inside of the pilot bore in the hub is steel or plastic. it almost looks like a plastic insulator to impede the sensor reading. However that makes no sense as those sensors are not powerful enough to read from that distance in my experience.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Here is a drum for use with ABS. The target ring is on the inside so the sensor can be protected from the elements. The ribs on the outside of the drum are to increase surface area for cooling.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...le/9-44-3.html

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Cate&Rob
    replied
    Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
    Who would have thought that they would use the ribs on the outside of the drum? I know those ribs have been there since the early 80's (before that it's a bit fuzzy).

I would have guessed they put a tone ring on the inside of the drum or on the rim for protection. I'd be afraid if it were using those ribs that it would be exposed to the rim and could get damaged more easily.
    You might be correct about a more accurate toothed ring . . . but I couldn’t find a picture. The ribbed drum was listed as “ABS” while the more common smooth drum was not. I don’t think there is room for anything inside the drum . . . but I can’t find any info on this.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Jlawles2
    replied
    Who would have thought that they would use the ribs on the outside of the drum? I know those ribs have been there since the early 80's (before that it's a bit fuzzy).

I would have guessed they put a tone ring on the inside of the drum or on the rim for protection. I'd be afraid if it were using those ribs that it would be exposed to the rim and could get damaged more easily.

Leave a comment:

• Cate&Rob
    replied
    An ABS brake drum has ribs around the outside. (See picture) This is what the sensing system counts to determine wheel speed and then adjusts voltage to the electro magnet that applies that brake to try and keep wheels speeds the same.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1295.jpeg
Views:	384
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	94904

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
    We had a bunch of trucks at work in the early 2000's that used a rudimentary WABCO system with magnetic sensors. They required a lot of attention since the friction material that the pads shed would cover them and caused them to cease signaling. It didnt help that the pads wore down so quick from the abuse they were subjected to.
    Remember the old anti-skid air brake systems years ago? The rear wheels would alternate between lock and unlock to maintain control. Primitive but they did work.

Jim

Leave a comment:

Working...
X