Damaged Bearing - What happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged Bearing - What happened?

My trailer is in for some warranty work. While there I had them do a bearing/brake service. This evening they sent pics of one of the bearings that looks damaged. On the same axel grease leaked out and contaminated the backing plates on both sides. Almost like the seals weren't replaced or were not installed correctly. They sent a few pictures (below). To replace all will be about $500.

The last people to touch the hubs/bearings was this same dealership last year when they did the same service to the trailer

Because I'm not real smart in this area, is this a parts manufacturing defect, or an installation issue?

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 2.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	94868

Name:	pic 3.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	94869

Name:	pic 1.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	94870
    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

My guess is that this bearing got “dropped” during the previous service. There is nothing in bearing use or wear that would dent the bearing cage like this.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I agree with Rob. The only thing that could damage a bearing like that is mis handling. I would present the receipt showing where they did the work the previous year and see how they respond.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Unless the bearing was in that condition when it was installed, I don't see what manufacturing defect would cause it to deform like that, unless there was a serious defect in the race. Is it the inside or outside bearing?

I'm amazed that even dropping a bearing would cause damage to that extent. That's some bad stuff!
        2020 Reflection 273MK
        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Cate&Rob , Jlawles2 I was thinking a long those lines. The bearing is the cheap part (they even said they would throw it in for free at this point).

Lonestar I'm not sure which bearing it is.

The biggest issue is that grease leaked into the backing plate on both side of the rear axle. I'm thinking this means either a manufacturing defect to cause the leak, or a seal issue (installation issue??).
          Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

It's possible that the tech either damaged the seal when installing it, the bearing damaged the seal (would depend on the damage to the bearing cage), the tech used the through hub fitting to grease the bearings after install, or the seal could have been bad / incorrect.

Without all of the parts and a trained tech, it's hard for someone to determine what the cause of the leak may have been. Once that seal is removed, the chance of figuring it out becomes the proverbial "needle in the haystack" as the seal is damaged extensively in the removal process (normally).
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

The little internal “dents” in the second picture are where the technician inserted a flat blade screwdriver to bend the cage back out . . . after he dropped the bearing on the floor.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll pay a visit in the morning and work something out.
                Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Given the “ability” of the tech who reused this bearing after dropping it on the floor . . . I would suspect that the rear seals were not installed correctly. Grease on the brake shoes is bad news. They can never be cleaned sufficiently. Replacement backing plates with new shoes are the best and least expensive way to go.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Interestingly enough . . . the bent cage would have little to do with the performance of the bearing. The cage is only there to hold the rollers until they are positioned between the inner and outer races. Since there is no discolouring of bearings or races . . . all was running fine. Don’t let them replace the bearing without replacing the race in the hub . . . these are a matched set.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                      The little internal “dents” in the second picture are where the technician inserted a flat blade screwdriver to bend the cage back out . . . after he dropped the bearing on the floor.

Rob
                      I'm thinking you are exactly right on the dents. What's interesting is how much of the cage is affected. Almost one third is distorted. He really had to work to mess up this much of the bearing. Anyone that would do this probably didn't have a clue as to how to install a seal properly.
                      2020 Reflection 273MK
                      2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Anything is possible from a tech that would install a bearing in this condition. And they are not that expensive so shame on this fellow!

Jim

Comment

My money is on that bearing being damaged during this maintenance cycle. It looks like there are witness marks on it that appear fresh. As far as the seal leaking, thats on the previous tech. They either didnt replace the seal or they damaged a new one when putting the drum back on. The bearing looks to me like someone used a screwdriver to try and pry the seal off and damaged the bearing in the process. I have a Lisle seal puller that I paid around $15 for, its not like its a specialty tool and you avoid damage like this.
                          Either way since it was serviced there both times I dont think you should be on the hook to replace a bearing. Its not that big of a deal and I believe a bearing set is less than $50.
                          If I were in your position I maybe would pay for the bearing if I was feeling generous but that would be it. Your dealer is trying to shade you into paying them profit for a part they damaged.
                          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

It may be good to look at the seal contact area of the drum. To familytruckster4's point, the tech may have driven a screw driver through the seal to pull it and damaged the bearing cage in the process since it is dented in two places. We will never know but I would be reluctant to ever return to this place for service.

Jim

Comment

I would also be looking for a new shop. Theres many scenarios that would cause the damage but theres only one way to do it correctly and it isnt any harder.
                              2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Working...
                              X