No announcement yet.

Damaged Bearing - What happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the replies. This morning I went to the shop and had the service manager show me the damage. My biggest concern was the grease in the hub area...which means on the brakes.

He was very cool. They intentionally left it open for me to see. He immediately said the brakes have grease on them as well....and he was right. I asked if he thought it was a manufacturing defect and he said no...too much grease was added. Once I told him it was them that did it last year he said If they did, they will cover the cost of replacing and installing backer plates and brakes. Well, they did.

Glad to see some integrity these days. And I'm glad it was caught and will be fixed. Losing brakes on an axle isn't optimal.
    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Great end result. Thanks for the update.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Good for you, thats about all you can ask for in this situation.
        2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

That's good news that they are covering the issue. Glad to see a service center step up and take ownership for a mistake.

The bearings and seals are not that expensive. I think for under $50 you can get the bearings, races, and seals all new. For a little more you can upgrade to a better quality bearing vs the Dexter ones.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

acoleman43 Great to hear they stepped up. I agree with Rob, when changing the bearing make sure they change the race as well. They need to go in as a matched set. I replaced all mine with Timkin a few years ago, not sure it made any difference, but it was a negligible difference in cost.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

To clarify a "bearing set",

New 2 piece bearings will most likely not come in a set but rather 2 boxes, 1 with outer race, 1 with inner race with bearings/cage. If one were to buy a true "set" these are special made and are pretty expensive and usually made for high speed and high precision applications.

The reason for not installing a new inner or outer with a used inner or outer is that the used one that is left is already matched with the one removed, this happens during use where the bearings wear in on the races to a "happy place".

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I dropped a bearing this spring when doing bearing maintenance. Looked an awful lot like those pics of yours, but I didn't try to straighten out the cage. I agree with Rob on the origin of the 'internal dents' on the cage. Trying to cover his ....behind. Seeing it is all apart already, changing out the bearing and race is only an additional 5 or 10 minutes. Provided you have the replacement bearing/race handy...
                2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

I appreciate all the speedy replies. I had a hunch this was from last years service, but lacked the in depth knowledge y'all have. I was able to ask the right questions and say the right things. This forum is like having a cheat sheet in your back pocket.
                  Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Having dropped an expensive engine bearing on a concrete floor (many years ago) I knew immediately what I was looking at in the original pictures.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ruh Roh.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	94953

​​​​​​​
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
                      I would also be looking for a new shop. Theres many scenarios that would cause the damage but theres only one way to do it correctly and it isnt any harder.
                      I agree with truckster. Whomever did your bearing service would be off my list of shops that I would use. It worked out ok for you, but if the bearing had overheated during travels.....any number of things could have happened. Best of which would be getting stranded somewhere.

acoleman43 Did they replace the bearing? Or did you have to buy?
                      Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 09-16-2022, 07:08 AM.
                      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                      Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Its a tough call on this one but it could be stated to the dealer that the OP does not want the same tech to touch his rig. If this was not honored, I would bail.

Most likely they would be embarrassed into making sure the repair is done correctly but I would be uncomfortable after seeing this bearing. Whether dropped or mutilated from pulling the seal, it should have never been installed.

For bearing matching, the bearing must be replaced with the bearing race that is "production matched" from the same company and should always be replaced together new and unused. They are sold separately.
                        Jim
                        Last edited by Guest; 09-16-2022, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                          Its a tough call on this one but it could be stated to the dealer that the OP does not want the same tech to touch his rig. If this was not honored, I would bail.

Most likely they would be embarrassed into making sure the repair is done correctly but I would be uncomfortable after seeing this bearing. Whether dropped or mutilated from pulling the seal, it should have never been installed.

For bearing matching, the bearing must be replaced with the bearing race that is "production matched" from the same company and should always be replaced together new and unused. They are sold separately.
                          Jim
                          Good point on the bearing and the race being a matched set, sometimes I forget that things I take as a given may not be common knowledge.
                          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

The bearing was replaced with a new bearing. The service manager personally showed me. They will also replace the backing plates, brakes and anything else that is needed.
                            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post
                              The bearing was replaced with a new bearing. The service manager personally showed me. They will also replace the backing plates, brakes and anything else that is needed.
                              Was the bearing race replaced? The bearing and bearing race must be replaced together.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Was the bearing race replaced? The bearing and bearing race must be replaced together.

Jim
                                That I am not sure about. I can ask.
                                Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Working...
                                X