No announcement yet.

Damaged Bearing - What happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Typically consumer tapered roller bearings are sold as a "set" with the bearing (inner race, rollers, and cage) and race together. In a manufacturing setting you can get them supplied as separate components. Worked for a company right out of college and part of training was working in the shop for a week. Tapered bearings were in a bin next to them was the races. When the bin ran out, grabbed another stack from the main supply and unwrapped them dropping them into the bin. Grease was applied with a brush (all low speed non critical applications) to the bearing liberally and the race.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
      Typically consumer tapered roller bearings are sold as a "set" with the bearing (inner race, rollers, and cage) and race together. In a manufacturing setting you can get them supplied as separate components. Worked for a company right out of college and part of training was working in the shop for a week. Tapered bearings were in a bin next to them was the races. When the bin ran out, grabbed another stack from the main supply and unwrapped them dropping them into the bin. Grease was applied with a brush (all low speed non critical applications) to the bearing liberally and the race.
      Are you considering trailer to be low speed non critical applications? I'd think so cause probably 98% of all new and replaced bearings out there today in trailers are pulled out of bins, and same for races. Like Brian said in the above post, I bet a true matched set would cost a bundle.

I totally agree on replacing the race every time the bearing is replaced. It's just good, cheap practice.

I've got Timken bearings in my trailer, but like I stated in another thread, I'm not so sure that even the Chinese bearings, if well maintained, are going to be fine in most cases. I bet most bearing failures are due to lack of maintenance or incorrect maintenance, not the bearing itself. I'm sure others will disagree.
      2020 Reflection 273MK
      2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

Like Brian said in the above post, I bet a true matched set would cost a bundle.
        Ya, no one is buying an actual matched set. Just a new set that can wear in together.
        I don't even know where a matched set is called for...turbocharger bearings?

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Lonestar What I mean is: when you order or go to the store and get a bearing typically you will get both the race and the bearing (consumer set). In MFG because the race can get installed long before the part reaches the point where the bearing is mated to it, they are supplied separately (makes it easier to keep up with the pieces) as a set would need to be separated and the bearings moved down the line to the assembly point.
          Joseph
          Tow
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

This bearing matching topic always runs off into the weeds. When folks state "matching" they are not referring to a custom lapped bearing and race. Its common knowledge that you cannot add a bearing to a race from another maker or even if the race is used and the bearing is new since manufacturing methods can change over time and wear patterns must be considered. So the bearing must be purchased with a matching bearing race which means they were manufactured to be ran together and nothing more.

Jim

Comment

Read through this thread while having coffee this morning - looks like a great outcome with lots of solid feedback & advice!
              Agree on the "Matched" set reference to the bearings & race going into the weeds more often than not - maybe we should refer to them as a "Paired" set?
              Chris
              2019 Solitude 3740BH
              2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                This bearing matching topic always runs off into the weeds.
                Jim
                Never as good as 'what oil should I use in my truck.....'

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                  Never as good as 'what oil should I use in my truck.....'
                  ...or which oil in a motorycle...oil threads were always great fodder for all kinds of opinions and inputs. But I digress and I'm OT (again) so likely will incur the wrath a certain watchdog shortly...
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Here we go. LOL. If a powetrain was developed and ran for thousands of hours under every perceivable condition, there is really one choice. The manufacturers oil and filter. If this is not possible, the API certification and SAE ratings should at a minimum be followed. This was an easy one.

Now lets move to tires.

Jim

Comment

Oil, Tires, Grease, you name it and you just as soon be discussing Politics or Religion.

I run the oils I run because I have seen what the inside of an engine looks like with 130K on it with 30K break-in oil. It's my choice, end of discussion.

Hopefully the dealer and the OP have a great understanding as to what / why and the resolution moving forward.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                      X