Greasing Wet Bolt bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greasing Wet Bolt bushings

Just curious if you guys are lifting the trailer to take the weight off the Spring Eyes to get the grease into the bushings and particularly in the area where the weight rides, like 5-7 o'clock. Seems like no grease would get into that area otherwise, and the amount of movement with spring action going down the road likely wouldn't move much grease there either. But with that said, probably within a few hundred miles all the grease in the hot spot would be worn through anyway.....Your thoughts??

Krohsis

If the grease hole ended up at 3 or 9 . . . the grease will probably go in without lifting the trailer. If the grease hole is elsewhere, you will have to play with lifting or partially lifting the weight off the springs to get the grease to go in. There are also grease guns with significantly different apply pressures. A 2000 psi gun will have more success than a lesser one.

The bolts are held in their rotational position by a spline under the bolt head . . . so don't try turning the bolt to better align the grease hole. The bolt has to be pushed out to see where the grease hole is, rotated to where this is at 3 or 9 and pressed back in. This should have been done at original assembly . . . but . . .

Once you get the grease holes in the right places, they will stay there and greasing the wet bolts without lifting the trailer will be easier.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Krohsis

I agree that after a little bit of traveling there probably is no very much grease around any of the wet bolts.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The lock n Lube grease gun tip that Howard originally posted on, will keep the grease gun attached to the zerk fitting to get the job done. If there is too much effort to grease the fitting, install the lock n lube on a higher pressure grease gun.

If a larger spring eye and thicker bushing was used, the bushing could be grooved which would hold grease and prevent the bushings from running dry.

https://locknlube.com/
        Last edited by Guest; 12-20-2019, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Do all 2020 Grand Design fivers have wet bolt?
            2020 Solitude 310GK-R (Gypsy) vin #573FS3622L9905461. 2017 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins diesel DRW 6 speed auto, 3:42 gears ( Big Red )

Comment

I've seen the Solitudes and Reflections have wet bolts. Imagine (Lippert axles) do not. Not certain on Momentum.
              Last edited by Guest; 01-15-2020, 08:39 AM.

Comment

MidwestCamper, thanks for the hot tip on the locknlube grease gun tip. I got one and it works slick.

Unfortunately, while greasing my wet bolts prior to our upcoming trip, the rear most spring hanger bolt on the left side has an issue, likely the bolt it seized to the bushing. All the other wet bolts took grease well and based on how the grease came out they seemed to get grease well distributed through them. But the bolt I mentioned would not take any grease. After about one and a half pumps, it was pressure locked. I removed the zerk and it worked properly and wasn't plugged. And after looking into the wet bolt hole and using a small wire to probe in the channel, it didn't seem there was a plug there either. This is the first time I have attempted to grease these, as we bought the coach in Washington State in late Oct 2019 and then drove home to Nevada, parking it here until now. I believe this particular wet bolt was either never greased, or ran dry, etc., and the bushing has seized to the bolt. I couldn't spin the bolt in the bushing when I loosened the nut on the bolt, but I did the same on two others and they spun fine. I have contacted GD and waiting for a response from them. I'm hoping they can send me a new bolt and bushing and I can get it installed before we have to leave on our trip. Hopefully that spring end wasn't stressed too much on our way from Wa. to NV. If it was seized all that time, it would definitely strain that area.

I post this on here only to see if anyone thinks I may have missed something.

Oh, while under the coach working on this issue, I noticed we likely have the flat spring issue. I will get pictures and send them to GD to see what they think.
                Last edited by Krohsis; 02-09-2020, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Krohsis View Post
                  MidwestCamper, thanks for the hot tip on the locknlube grease gun tip. I got one and it works slick.

Unfortunately, while greasing my wet bolts prior to our upcoming trip, the rear most spring hanger bolt on the left side has an issue, likely the bolt it seized to the bushing. All the other wet bolts took grease well and based on how the grease came out they seemed to get grease well distributed through them. But the bolt I mentioned would not take any grease. After about one and a half pumps, it was pressure locked. I removed the zerk and it worked properly and wasn't plugged. And after looking into the wet bolt hole and using a small wire to probe in the channel, it didn't seem there was a plug there either. This is the first time I have attempted to grease these, as we bought the coach in Washington State in late Oct 2019 and then drove home to Nevada, parking it here until now. I believe this particular wet bolt was either never greased, or ran dry, etc., and the bushing has seized to the bolt. I couldn't spin the bolt in the bushing when I loosened the nut on the bolt, but I did the same on two others and they spun fine. I have contacted GD and waiting for a response from them. I'm hoping they can send me a new bolt and bushing and I can get it installed before we have to leave on our trip. Hopefully that spring end wasn't stressed too much on our way from Wa. to NV. If it was seized all that time, it would definitely strain that area.

I post this on here only to see if anyone thinks I may have missed something.

Oh, while under the coach working on this issue, I noticed we likely have the flat spring issue. I will get pictures and send them to GD to see what they think.
                  Sorry to hear that. Typically, when a bolt won't take grease, you can remedy the situation by jacking up the trailer by the frame which unloads the axle, springs and bushing. Then, it should take grease pretty easily. I have one bolt on my unit that I always need to grease with this method.

regarding turning the bolt. I would not attempt to do this unless you partially remove the bolt. There are splines on the head of the bolt which normally prevent it from turning unless it's partially removed. If you have two bolts that you've already turned, you've likely twisted the splines off the bolt or rounded out the hole in the shackle where they are mounted. Take a look at the attached photo to see an example of the splines.

Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Jim brings up an excellent point on the knurling of the bolt and to not try to rotate is while it is seated in the hanger.

A handy trick in removing these is to raise the rig to remove pressure from the bolt. Using a socket or wrench remove the nut. Next while using a socket that is larger than the hex head end, use a large C clamp to clamp between the thread end the socket that is covering the hex head end. When tightening the C clamp a loud POP will be encountered where the knurling will clear the hanger. At this point the bolt can be driven out with a drift.

To re-install a knurled bolt, hand tighten the nut with a wrench or ratchet and then with a socket that covers only the zerk fitting, tap on the bolt while aiding in its seating. Follow up by tightening the nut. Alternate this method until the nut can be torqued to the specification and the bolt head is fully seated.

The bolt should be installed with the grease hole at 3 o clock or 9 o clock to aid in greasing.

Jim
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2020, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                      A handy trick in removing these is to raise the rig to remove pressure from the bolt. Using a socket or wrench remove the nut. Next while using a socket that is larger than the hex head end, use a large C clamp to clamp between the thread end the socket that is covering the hex head end. When tightening the C clamp a loud POP will be encountered where the knurling will clear the hanger. At this point the bolt can be driven out with a drift.

Jim
                      Another easy way to get them out is with a ball joint press - Image below. Put the end with the hole over the hex head, and use the threaded section to push the bolt out.

Jim and Ginnie
                      2024 Solitude 310GK
                      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Yes, I didn't mention that I pushed the bolt slightly out of position so the splines released before attempting to turn the bolt. Good on you mentioning that TucsonJim as other might have caused themselves problems by doing so.

Comment

Krohsis,

The lock n lube was first brought up by Howson (Howard) and I too purchased one. I also purchased their zerk fitting caps so the fittings stay nice and clean.

Jim

Comment

I have two zerks not taking grease at the top of shackle. I tried lifting the axle and using the leveling system to lift frame. Is this correct? Sorry to sound so stupid but where on the frame is best place to relieve pressure on the shackle bolts?

vivian
                            Vivian
                            2018 Reflection 303rls
                            Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                            Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                              I have two zerks not taking grease at the top of shackle. I tried lifting the axle and using the leveling system to lift frame. Is this correct? Sorry to sound so stupid but where on the frame is best place to relieve pressure on the shackle bolts?

vivian
                              Hi Vivian

I use the leveling jacks to lift the trailer to relieve pressure on 2 of my wet bolts that do not take grease. I do not think that this will cause damage. I also only do this on a fairly flat surface with no action inside the camper.

Brian
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X