Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dexter Nev-R-Lube™ verses Dexter EZ Lube axles - discussion pro/con?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well my favorite grease is not approved. I prefer the Amsoil Calcium grease (stuff sticks, does not pound out, and almost impossible to wipe off). Might have to get their lithium complex grease and try it on the axles.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
      Well my favorite grease is not approved. I prefer the Amsoil Calcium grease (stuff sticks, does not pound out, and almost impossible to wipe off). Might have to get their lithium complex grease and try it on the axles.
      Here we go.

For wheel bearings, the grease needs to move a bit. Their Lithium version is probably fine. Can you find it at Walmart?

Jim
      Last edited by Guest; 09-21-2022, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the article Jim, now I have to worry....

more.

Hopefully what I have done will not have dire consequnces. Using a national brand that Walmart carries makes sense, also NAPA, they are pretty much everywhere and carry quality stuff. I look for two things, SAE standards and high temperature grease.

If you see slung grease on a wheel you might have a problem.

I'll probably get bearings replaced this winter.
        2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
        2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
        E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
        Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Guest Unfortunately it's not carried at most local places. But, If I'm out and in a bind, nothing stops me from using what I can find until I get home and go back to what I prefer.

My favorite grease uses a Calcium thickener and has a 500F drop point. The one I use for wet bushings is not the same, has a 650F drop point and is impact resistant.

Both of them you need lots of scrubbing or harsh solvent to get off.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
            While I don't have the nev'r'lube axles anymore, I can measure the hub bore of the wheels that were on it for you. I still have the wheels.
            I could possibly locate where those axles are today..maybe not....I gave them to a guy, who gave them to a guy, who gave them to a guy......
            Scott
            Yes that wold be very helpful. I suspect you will find a 4.25" center bore.

Thanks
            Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by d2reid View Post
              Thanks for the article Jim, now I have to worry....

more.

Hopefully what I have done will not have dire consequences. Using a national brand that Walmart carries makes sense, also NAPA, they are pretty much everywhere and carry quality stuff. I look for two things, SAE standards and high temperature grease.

If you see slung grease on a wheel you might have a problem.

I'll probably get bearings replaced this winter.
              Dallas,

Your probably fine as long as your using a lithium base. However, it would be good to stick with one lube moving forward where your use of the EZ Lube fittings will eventually purge out what you have in there. Also if you (or anyone else) is having your bearings serviced, it would be good to specify what you want used for lube so you can use the same lube in the future for bearing service. Future bearing service becomes easy since its no longer necessary to completely flush out the hubs if the brand of lubricant is known.

My hubs were removed long ago and the thin LCI black grease was completely cleaned out and serviced with Mobile 1 synthetic.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Scott
                Yes that wold be very helpful. I suspect you will find a 4.25" center bore.

Thanks
                Keith
                Well...just measured. They are 108mm bore.......

I can hear Rob laughing from here....
                2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

Well...just measured. They are 108mm bore.......

I can hear Rob laughing from here....
                  Thanks Scott - now why would Rob Cate&Rob be laughing - Hmmmm But I know the magic number 25.4 and if I use the force........Yep 4.25"

It rained today so I did not take the spare in to see if the EZ-Lub hub will fit. However from another source and Scott's number It may not fit also, but then again one source says it will. UGGGGG!!!!!

Given that information I started looking for new rims.It was raining - so why not. Believe it or not I can get 8 bolt 16" 6K rims cheaper then the 6 bolt - all with 4.25 bore. no idea why unless it is because there are more of them out there. My existing tires will fit either. All running between $125 (8 bolt) to $180 (6 bolt) each for decent looking aluminum. However the 8 bolt give me a 110 psi rating over the typical 80psi for 6 bolt If I go 8 bolt I can also get the 50mm Never lube hub,,,,Still on the fence deciding this. BTW I will be keeping this trailer a long while at it fits our needs perfectly.

My other choice (if it can be done) is to go back with a 4400lb 10" brake spindle on the 3.5" or heavy wall 3" tube. I really wanted the 12" brakes. They there more readily available for parts. In for a penny in for a pound I guess My Alaska trip is getting more expensive.

Keith

PS on grease I used the Red and Tacky - Lucas I think, but the side track information has been excellent.
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I went with Hi-Spec wheels. Series 03. 110psi wheels six bolt pattern
                    https://www.hispecwheel.com/trailer-wheels/
                    I bought them for the Titanium but had the GD dealer swap them onto the Reflection.

After the axle swap I was not concerned about offset so double check.
                    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 09-21-2022, 05:48 PM.
                    Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

But I know the magic number 25.4 and if I use the force........Yep 4.25"
                      I have taught you well, young padded one.....

Comment

Working...
                      X