Tire wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire wear

Good evening, what would cause just one tire drivers side rear to wear from the inside out? All the other tires seem to have normal wear except this one. I have a 2020 310GK Solitude.
    2020 SOLITUDE 310GK
    2016 GMC DURAMAX 6.6 TURBO

Bent spindle likely.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
      Bent spindle likely.
      x2 on John’s theory . . . almost certainly the cause. Some will advise having a trailer service facility (not your RV dealer ) bend the axle to realign the tire. The cost of a new axle would not be much more than the cost of re-bending your bent axle . . . just sayin’.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The quick answer is bent axle as mentioned. However, before bailing off on replacing the axle, have it checked. Excessive play in the bearings can cause the tires to wear funny. You may also want to try replacing the tire if you have not just to ensure it's not a bad tire (Please lets keep this from turning into a full blow tire bashing) as such things do happen.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by kishman74 View Post
          Good evening, what would cause just one tire drivers side rear to wear from the inside out? All the other tires seem to have normal wear except this one. I have a 2020 310GK Solitude.
          Dose it look like this or close
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1240s.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	95120 If you look closely there is a very slight bend at the outboard U-Bolt location This is a Dexter 4400lb axle 3" Lt Wall

If you can please snap and post a few photos, From my research on my problem it is usually the tub and not the spindle. They can be re-bent at a qualified axle and frame shop (think big truck)

Hope this helps.
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Keith,

Axles can be straightened as long as the tube is not compromised. Replacement is easy as well.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
              Keith,

Axles can be straightened as long as the tube is not compromised. Replacement is easy as well.

Jim
              Thanks Jim. The tube has yielded to bend and to get back they will need to yield, stretch again weakening the spot more. besides the only shop here that does it would be wrapping a chain around it to bent it back. They don't have an alignment system either like Hunter, so would just be using levels (very old school) It is Dexter Lt Weight tubing already 0,16 thick - not much there to work with. The other axle is also slightly bent based on tire ware, but not as bad. Most of the shops I showed the picture too said replace - especially since it was the Lt wall tube.

Possibly kishman74 has other options to have his axle straightened. Some shops use heat (then re heat treat to get strength back) and forming machines to align withe a good hunter alignment system.

Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with having an axle straightened where it will actually end up stronger through strain hardening. But an axle that is bent in the saddle area cannot be straightened IMO. Also one must weigh the cost difference where a new axle could be cheaper in the long run.

Jim

Comment

Yiks....the tire in question looks just like the one pictured. I'm not sure how this would even happen, but I do live in Michigan:(
                  2020 SOLITUDE 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by kishman74 View Post
                    Yiks....the tire in question looks just like the one pictured. I'm not sure how this would even happen, but I do live in Michigan:(
                    The ten mile stretch of Rt 23 just inside Michigan from Ohio or back to Ohio would bend most anything. LOL. I run in the left lane in this stretch of road but will speed up to 70mph to be courteous. Otherwise we loved Michigan.

Jim

Comment

Yoda Keith,

Did the axle guys have anything to say about the bend occurring right under the spring and supplemental sumo spring?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                        Yoda Keith,

Did the axle guys have anything to say about the bend occurring right under the spring and supplemental sumo spring?

Jim
                        Yes I asked the question of several shops and all said no. It acts just like a bumper stop on autos. It was the Light Dexter Tube - that all have seen this before.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Yes I asked the question of several shops and all said no. It acts just like a bumper stop on autos. It was the Light Dexter Tube - that all have seen this before.
                          Keith,

Its difficult to say but a bump stop will stop further motion of the axle and if the suspension is fully bottomed out, something has to absorb the energy. Next in line to absorb the motion is the axle or frame. I think the sumo springs are nice but with the equalizer allowing more motion toward the frame and up against a fully compressed sumo, I have concerns in their use in severe circumstances where axle articulation can occur. Its suspicious the bend is right below the sumo.

Slipper springs with their use would be ideal.

Jim

Comment

Well after many e-mails, texts, photos our trailer is fixed. Dexter Axle agreed to replace the complete axle. I had to pay for labor and a new tire. Almost $500. But considering what it could have cost if that tire blew out while traveling. A big shout out to Dexter Axle. Katie Lerner at Grand Design and Allegiant RV for all the work they put into this. Here Here....
                            Attached Files
                            2020 SOLITUDE 310GK

Comment

Working...
                            X