Trailer Tire Wear Observations and Conclusions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer Tire Wear Observations and Conclusions

Post summer inspection continuing on my 315RLTS. Below is a series of measurements (in mm) of each of the grooves in each tire. My conclusion about the wear pattern is underneath each picture. Note that "chng" is the change (difference) from the previous measurement.

The column labeled "1" is the groove on the outside of the tire, then each subsequent numbered column works inwards (so "4" is the innermost groove). An electronic tire tread depth gauge was used to take the measurements. I attempted to center the gauge's pin in the groove and to ensure there wasn't an anomaly at the measurement point that could throw off the reading.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tire 1.png Views:	0 Size:	3.7 KB ID:	95934
    CONCLUSION: Not knowing the wear when the tires were rotated (a mistake on my part) it appears there's an issue with the rear curb tire position. Tire 4 was in the Curb Rear position and if you look below at Tire 4's fourth groove's wear it is also more than the Tire 2 or 3 (the wear could have happened while in the Curb Rear spot, in other words before the tire was rotated).

I'll be rotating the tires before towing the trailer again and will have to measure the wear on the tire that goes in the Curb Rear position to see if it also excessively wears on the inside edge.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tire 2.png Views:	0 Size:	2.1 KB ID:	95932
    CONCLUSION​: Based on the wear pattern, it appears to me the 80 psi (cold) I've been running is too low. The Sailun has a cold maximum of 110 psi, so going to increase the cold pressure norm to 90 psi.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tire 3.png Views:	0 Size:	2.2 KB ID:	95935
    CONCLUSION​: Same as tire 2. Note ALL the tires will have a new cold setting of 90 psi.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tire 4.png Views:	0 Size:	2.2 KB ID:	95936
    CONCLUSION​ This one is odd -- not sure why the third groove shows relatively little wear versus the rest of the grooves. Could be a measurement mistake. Since this position is the heaviest (I know this from a previous WeighSafe tire-by-tire measurement) it is not surprising this tire wore faster than the others. Oddly, the 80 psi appeared to be correct for this tire. I'm still going to use the same pressure for each tire (90 psi)--at least that's the conclusion as of this first post.

SUMMARY
    I invite counter opinions or other information I've not considered based on what you see (I'm not a tire expert).

A PDF with the same information is attached below should that be easier to review.

Howard

Tire History 315RLTS.pdf
    Attached Files
    Last edited by howson; 10-03-2022, 09:30 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Originally posted by howson View Post
    I invite counter opinions or other information I've not considered based on what you see (I'm not a tire expert).
    Howard
    I agree with your conclusions, and agree your slightly underinflated.

The inside tread wear on tire one is a concern especially as it shows up on the rotated tire too. could be axle, spindle, or alignment from a warn bushing, or even a bent hanger. A good tap measure and some measurements on the axle placement could point to the cause. How many miles do you have on your existing bushings? Or find a good alignment shop with the proper electronics. The fact that the curb front is showing outside wear greater then the inside seems to indicate the axle could be slightly out of square. If street side is to rear, this pushes curb side outer edge to the front, So street side inside wears more and curb side outside wears more.

Just brainstorming here based on a lot of conversations over my axle issues and hearing about alignment dynamics. But take my thought with a grain of salt - could be very wrong.

Keith

On edit: This video shows some measurement tips https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HEqZoL7pu0
    Last edited by howson; 10-02-2022, 05:47 PM. Reason: Trimmed quote for readibility...
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda -- remember, I have Morryde's Independent Suspension (IS) installed. If there's an issue with that one position it can be independently adjusted. I'll keep an eye on it!
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
        Yoda -- remember, I have Morryde's Independent Suspension (IS) installed. If there's an issue with that one position it can be independently adjusted. I'll keep an eye on it!
        That is good news - maybe take a few simple measurements to be sure axle is square to the frame such as rim to rim measurements. You have me curious. This thread is timely as I want when the axles are removed to have the hanger location checked for square and adjusted if necessary. I am still searching on the other measurements that can be done..

Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Hi Howard,

Interesting and very detailed tire wear data. The good news is that the second alignment of your MORRyde suspension seems to be positioning the tires correctly. I would agree that (at least 3 of the 4) tire wear indicates higher air pressure should help to even out wear across the tread. It would be interesting to learn whether Sailun would comment on your findings and agree/disagree with increasing pressure. The most heavily loaded tire wearing evenly at 80 psi doesn’t fit the pattern or the increase pressure theory. This would indicate the reverse . . . that the tires carrying less weight are actually over their ideal pressure. Of course . . . this anomaly is based on the accuracy of your individual tire weights, from a source that many have questioned. It will be interesting to learn what happens to tire 4 with the increase in pressure.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
          X