Truck Tire Wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Tire Wear

Without repeating everything written in the Trailer Tire Wear thread, it appears to me the rear outboards on my DRW are wearing much faster than the front tires. The fronts have slightly more wear on the outside edge, thus I'm considering having the tire positions swapped. (On my DRW that means having to take the tires to a shop to get them swapped on the wheels as they are position-specific.)

I know the pic is (relatively) small, so there's a PDF attached that is easier to zoom in on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F-350 Tire History.png Views:	0 Size:	75.9 KB ID:	95940
    Thanks in advance for any input / advice.

Howard

F-350 Tire History.pdf
    Attached Files
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Originally posted by howson View Post
    Without repeating everything written in the Trailer Tire Wear thread, it appears to me the rear outboards on my DRW are wearing much faster than the front tires. The fronts have slightly more wear on the outside edge, thus I'm considering having the tire positions swapped. (On my DRW that means having to take the tires to a shop to get them swapped on the wheels as they are position-specific.)

I know the pic is (relatively) small, so there's a PDF attached that is easier to zoom in on.

Click image for larger version Name:	F-350 Tire History.png Views:	0 Size:	75.9 KB ID:	95940

Howard

F-350 Tire History.pdf
    Howard
    Its normal for the outside rear tires on a dually to wear more, at least that is what I also experienced on my 04. They tend to scuff more on turns as inside control the rotation on turns so outside slides. Similar to rear trailer tires wearing more ans trailer pivots on fronts.

I would swap inside to outside on opposite side. Does that make sense? I think you can do that without de mounting, but could be wrong. On my previous dually I was able to find a tire shop with lifetime free rotation, including re balance, when I was looking to buy. Was not the cheapest price until you include the re balance cost of one rotation.Then I did a true x pattern with inside rears going to front and the tires with most wear to the inside of the dually

Just my take on this
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda -- the inside wheels on the rear are plain steel where the outside wheel is chrome. No matter what I do I'll have to swap tires/wheels. The only exception is if I swapped all of them from one side to the other, but I see no value in doing that.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Yoda -- the inside wheels on the rear are plain steel where the outside wheel is chrome. No matter what I do I'll have to swap tires/wheels. The only exception is if I swapped all of them from one side to the other, but I see no value in doing that.
        Bummer - then I guess its time to have everything done correctly. Shop around for demount/mount, and balance deals, but you know that. As A loyal Discount Tire customer I can usually get excellent pricing and other service deals. Maybe the place you got the tires from might cut you a deal as your such a good looking dude. In my case I ask for the old sorehead discount.

Keith
        Last edited by Yoda; 10-03-2022, 09:53 AM.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Click image for larger version Name:	F-350 Tire History.png Views:	0 Size:	75.9 KB ID:	95940

Howard

F-350 Tire History.pdf
          That was my case with my 2021 F350 DRW. I didn't rotate them and by the time I thought about it I had 26,000 miles and had to replace them (2 weeks ago)
          Now I plan to rotate every 6,000 miles.
          2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel
          2021 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

A few more tidbits of info for those who may be interested.

The Michelin's on my '17 F-350 DRW start out with ~9.5mm of tread (as measured in the grooves). Below are shots of the (never used) spare.

Click image for larger version

Name:	groove new.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	96264

The wear marker is at ~8mm, so the tire is "worn out" with 1.5mm of tread left.

Name:	tread marker.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	96265

On the tires running on the truck, the highest wear recorded was in a groove on the rear outboard (3.1 mm consumed) over ~19K miles. I rotated the front tires with the rear outboards (cost $100 to have the tires unmounted and remounted due to the wheel-specific configuration of a dually). I expect after the next 20K miles that the rear inboards will be worn the most--whether I rotate the tires again will depend on over condition of the others.

I also modified my tracker to identify each tire by a unique identifier. Under the words "Load Range" I found an alpha-numeric code that was unique on each tire (also different on the outside and inside of the tire) but at least I can specifically track a tire regardless of position.

Name:	code.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	96266
            Here's an example of the chart.

Name:	chart tire wear.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	96267
            Tread depth checks will be done every ~5K miles.

I know, I know...I need to get a life.

Howard

Comment

Working...
            X