2017 303RLS Reflection Suspension Fatigue/Upgrade Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 303RLS Reflection Suspension Fatigue/Upgrade Recommendations

I own a 2017 303RLS Reflection with approximately 25,000 miles. I store it in covered storage. I have had one spring hanger replaced two years ago and installed hanger clips/supports at that time. Every year I have the bearings repacked, brakes inspected, and the other items inspected on the annual suspension maintenance list. My question is this... with 25k miles on the trailer, should I consider replacing any of my suspension components...partial or complete upgrade? Is there anything due to normal wear and tear road fatigue that I should address? I am headed to Florida in January (2500 miles round trip) and just want to be proactive. Everything on my trailer is original equipment other than the clips I added. Open to your recommendations.
    Andy
    2017 Reflection 303RLS
    2015 Dodge Ram 2500, V8 6.4L, Crew Cab, Laramie, w/Tow Pkg.

If it doesnt have a wet bolt kit currently you might consider adding one, other than that it sounds like youre on top of things
    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

It also might be good, if you haven’t already checked them, to take a look at the bushings that are in the ends of the springs. They can wear down and may need to be replaced. I found brass replacements a e-trailer.
      Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
      Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
      2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
      Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
      Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Were you able to reinforce the center support, the one that attaches to the equalizer? If not, you might want to consider the addition of a Morryde X Factor crossmember. I say this only because you say you have had issues with spring hangers.
        2020 Reflection 273MK
        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
          If it doesnt have a wet bolt kit currently you might consider adding one, other than that it sounds like youre on top of things
          The bolts on the equalizer all have grease fittings so I am guessing they are wet bolts?
          Andy
          2017 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Tom in PGH View Post
            It also might be good, if you haven’t already checked them, to take a look at the bushings that are in the ends of the springs. They can wear down and may need to be replaced. I found brass replacements a e-trailer.
            I haven't actually checked any of the bushings as I am a little nervous to attempt tackling this on my own. I am thinking of taking my trailer to a local truck/trailer shop I have used in the past and having them go over the whole thing. They did my hanger replacement and added the clips. Do you have a link you can toss me for the bushings?
            Andy
            2017 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
              Were you able to reinforce the center support, the one that attaches to the equalizer? If not, you might want to consider the addition of a Morryde X Factor crossmember. I say this only because you say you have had issues with spring hangers.
              I had the center support reinforced as well with the clips/solution recommended by Lippert. I will take a look at the Morryde X Factor just the same. Thanks!
              Andy
              2017 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Hi Andy,

if you have 25,000 miles on original bushings (either plastic or brass) there won’t be much left of them. I have found bushing replacement to be a regular maintenance activity. Not too difficult to do. Jack the frame and axle around until the spring is “loose” (not carrying any weight). Remove the spring, replace the bushings, put the spring back.

FWIW . . . although it “seems” like the centre hanger would be heavily stressed, most of the broken hangers have been rear and a few have been front. I do not recall anyone reporting a broken centre hanger.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Andy+Mo View Post
                  I own a 2017 303RLS Reflection with approximately 25,000 miles. I store it in covered storage. I have had one spring hanger replaced two years ago and installed hanger clips/supports at that time. Every year I have the bearings repacked, brakes inspected, and the other items inspected on the annual suspension maintenance list. My question is this... with 25k miles on the trailer, should I consider replacing any of my suspension components...partial or complete upgrade? Is there anything due to normal wear and tear road fatigue that I should address? I am headed to Florida in January (2500 miles round trip) and just want to be proactive. Everything on my trailer is original equipment other than the clips I added. Open to your recommendations.
                  Andy I know I am late to the discussion, but Morryde has a full kit that might help. I also got the X-Factor bracing for mine too.You need to check your shackle length before ordering.
                  https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...Shackle+Straps
                  https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...ing+Suspension

Also measure you spring arch to see if they are equal. Springs do wear out

If you can take a few pictures of what you have the experts here might spot something.

Hope this helps

Keith
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Andy, I wish more people where proactive with the service life of there suspensions! Agree with Yoda, etrailer is a great resource for parts and upgrades. At 10000 miles on my rig the plastic OEM bushings shot, 4 stack leaf springs where flatting out and some of the wet bolts would not take grease due to bolt rotation.
                    I am not particularly brand loyal most products recommended on this forum exceed OEM specs, I just happen to get show pricing on Morryde while at a Rally.
                    See signature for my suspension rebuild, might have been over kill but I did not like what I saw in the OEM set up and everything is bolt on. Check your reservations in Florida some of those RV parks are gone or damaged on the west coast.
                    Retired Tanker Yanker
                    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK - Carlisle CSL 16 225/75 15, MORryde CRE 3000 & center X cross brace, Sumo springs, Andersen Ultimate Hitch 6-Leaf Double-Eye Spring for 4,500-lb Axles
                    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                      Hi Andy,

if you have 25,000 miles on original bushings (either plastic or brass) there won’t be much left of them. I have found bushing replacement to be a regular maintenance activity. Not too difficult to do. Jack the frame and axle around until the spring is “loose” (not carrying any weight). Remove the spring, replace the bushings, put the spring back.

FWIW . . . although it “seems” like the centre hanger would be heavily stressed, most of the broken hangers have been rear and a few have been front. I do not recall anyone reporting a broken centre hanger.

Rob
                      Thanks Rob and Keith and Skilletface - I keep the trailer in covered storage and am heading over there today to measure the shackles, review what I need and reach over to etrailer to order a kit for the shackles and bushings. Sounds like I am way behind on refreshing the suspension components at 25k. I would like to do the work myself and think I could (with some help) but from here on out it is getting wet, cold and ugly in Cleveland. I think I am getting soft...

Regarding the springs, I am assuming they are flattened out some. I always travel very light and try to keep the weight off the coach when in storage. As with many, the driver side of the trailer is a little lower because of the kitchen hardware, etc...on that side. I understand the method for measuring spring arch when they are off but they won't come off until my guy pulls things apart to address shackles and bushings. Maybe it just makes sense to assume the worst and address the springs since it will all be apart? Open to recommendations on ordering springs!

Not sure if I should add the X-factor? Maybe I am misunderstanding something there? Center hanger has a support clip.

Really appreciate all of this helpful input. Don't know what I would do without the forum...
                      Andy
                      2017 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Skilletface View Post

Andy, I wish more people where proactive with the service life of there suspensions! Agree with Yoda, etrailer is a great resource for parts and upgrades. At 10000 miles on my rig the plastic OEM bushings shot, 4 stack leaf springs where flatting out and some of the wet bolts would not take grease due to bolt rotation.
                        I am not particularly brand loyal most products recommended on this forum exceed OEM specs, I just happen to get show pricing on Morryde while at a Rally.
                        See signature for my suspension rebuild, might have been over kill but I did not like what I saw in the OEM set up and everything is bolt on. Check your reservations in Florida some of those RV parks are gone or damaged on the west coast.
                        Thanks for the heads-up on the Florida parks! I will be in the Santa Rosa Beach and Apalachicola areas -- panhandle. I will check just the same! Love the description of your rebuild.
                        Andy
                        2017 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Andy+Mo

x2 on confirming your plans for Florida. Those displaced from the storm damaged SW coast parks are filling up all the other parks, for extended stays, if they can. I have heard that premiums above asking price are being offered to secure sites.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I understand the method for measuring spring arch when they are off ...
                            Hi Andy,

Measuring the arch height of a removed spring won't tell you much. If you follow the linked procedure in this thread https://gdrvowners.com/forum/referen...-height-how-to this will show you how to (relatively easily) measure Loaded Arch Height. This will give you a measure of whether your springs are flattening. Of course, it would have been good to have these measurements when new, as a reference . . . but, in "general" terms, if the loaded arch height is about 1.5" you are still OK. Less than that and spring replacement should be considered.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks Rob! This is very helpful.
                              Andy
                              2017 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Working...
                              X