Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long Self Drilling Hex Boltts that hold connection blocks (size verification)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Self Drilling Hex Boltts that hold connection blocks (size verification)

Well I discovered (after dropping the coroplast for the frame repair) that I have misplaced a few of the long self drilling bolts/screws that hold the propane connection blocks in place. I was sorting and counting and came up short. I had a senior moment on where I put them all Of course after I order replacements I will find the missing ones

I have measured and the thread portion length is 1.5" but overall to self drilling tip is 2". What length do I order? Also from measuring, it is either a #12 or 1/4". #12 is just shy of 1/4". I could not find anything in the GD parts lookup. I guess I could take it in to TS or HD and use thier identification board, but its coarse thread and I was hoping to add to an order I am making today. They are also a snug fit in the junction block holes. I was thinking of replacing with SS as most that I have show rust on the lower threads.

So if anyone knows for sure what size they are I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

From Grainger for TEKS screws the length is measured from under the head to screw tip. A 1/4 inch screw would have a 3/8 hex drive head, I believe. A # 12 would have 5/16 hex head.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20230129_140326_Chrome.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.0 KB ID:	104466
    Last edited by TedS; 01-29-2023, 04:13 PM.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

They are 1/4" diameter. All cap screws are measured from under the head unless they are a "flat" head and then its overall length.
      2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

familytruckster4 TedS

I cant thank you both enough, so 1/4" by 2" it is. Ted - you made me learn something new (Look up the charts - DOH!) - now I wonder what I will forget

Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thats really long for a self drilling/self tapping screw so I would try to buy them from as reputable a source as I could find.
          Good screws arent cheap and cheap screws arent good. If for some crazy reason you could get stainless those would be best.
          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
            Thats really long for a self drilling/self tapping screw so I would try to buy them from as reputable a source as I could find.
            Good screws arent cheap and cheap screws arent good. If for some crazy reason you could get stainless those would be best.
            Theses folks have just about anything you need in one spot. https://www.mcmaster.com/ My first order should be hwew Wednesday so will report on the quality.

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/129/3365/96024A710
            also in non thread cutting
            https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/mate...x-head-screws/

Comment

I may be late to the party, Yoda, but I'm curious if you're planning in reusing the old holes, in which case you wouldn't need self-drilling but might want to go to the next size up for a tight fit. Or drill new holes, in which case could stay with the same size but determine actual length needed by measuring the baseplate and backing thicknesses?
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually
              Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
                I may be late to the party, Yoda, but I'm curious if you're planning in reusing the old holes, in which case you wouldn't need self-drilling but might want to go to the next size up for a tight fit. Or drill new holes, in which case could stay with the same size but determine actual length needed by measuring the baseplate and backing thicknesses?
                John - Thanks for your thoughts

80% of my frame got new sub frame that covers the old holes, so I have a whole lot of new holes to drill. Only the section where the suspension is at is OEM and I may reuse some of them, and up size as you have suggested as a few appear to be striped. Some of the self tapping bolts I ordered are for future projects or on road repairs where I wont have my tapping dyes. But for the reinstall of my Coroplast in removable sections I will be measuring and drilling and tapping each one. GD had them all over the place on the outside and inside of the frame flanges. I don't like self drilling/tapping screws like originally used as they seem to have a sloppy fit, The self tapping, or thread forming bolts, do a much better job (finer threads than OEM self drilling), but must be strong enough for the material thickness. They are also great to chase out damaged threads. Hint - having a few grade 8 bolts is good for that too.

Also some of this order is for other projects and equipment repair. I had a very good supply of various fasteners I had collected over the years, but lost that big box on my Alaska trip. Going from memory I am trying to replace what I frequently used. If I need non SS, I can always go to TS and get grade 5 or grade 8 as they stock a pretty decent selection in thier loose bins.

Now as for length I have mostly 3/4" length, some 5/8" ordered - that is the OEM length that came out. The frame tubing is 1/8" and the same for the coroplast, now add in 1/8" for the propane hangers and 1/16" - 1/8" for the fender washers depending if they are the OEM sealing type. then the 1/2" wont work well and if they back out I will probably loose them before I spot them being loose. I have had Coroplast fasteners back out slightly, but those all seemed to have been installed improperly (stripped).

For the Propane blocks I am ordering 2" and some 1.5" based on the thread length of the original bolts and what portion was threaded into the frame. They also are a good fit for other projects. On thing I need to decide is do I install the blocks first and cut the coroplast around, or mount on top of the coroplast - I am thinking the latter to ease the coroplast install/removal.

Hope this helps explain things
                Keith

Comment

Working...
                X