Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Propane tank holder straps difficult to close.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi and thank you all for your posts … we purchased our 2020 Reflection 337RLS in Sep.2019. It was time for an LP tank fill and had not had the metal straps on our prior RV. Checked the forum and saw the difficulty being experienced with the straps and buckles. Base on your info, checked the straps as installed and we would have struggled also. Based on the info found we moved both screws about 3/4 of an inch in (on all four straps) … toward the center … from where they were installed. I can now open/close the buckles easily and at the same time the tanks are snug. Also, I have some old pins from a fiberglass flag pole we have and placed one on each of the top buckle holes to prevent buckle from accidently opening (without locking them). The help on this forum definitely has put me "ahead of the curve" on this issue.

Again, thanks to all … stay safe and enjoy!

Comment

U would think that OEMs would consider biggest safety hazard (propane bombs) and then design a safe and easy to install propane system. Just bc the NTSB or whom ever doesn't require it the picture from TucsonJim shows why it is important. I don't have the model with straps, but rather a top bar to hold down two tanks, but that works wonky as well.

Comment

I know that this is a “dead” thread and most likely the folks who posted are on to other rigs…but I’ve got a 2022 Mo 397 THS-R …and have been fighting with a) the straps being tight and b) the cheap aluminum that bends on the latches. As i too started thinking about alternatives (nylon, turnbuckles, etc..) i decided to search the forums…and lo and behold “the answer!” Since our rig was built in March 2022, it doesn’t look like the GD engineers got (or accepted) the suggestion here (too bad). But, I’m glad with a few quick turns of the screw gun (3.25” spread) … i am a happy camper again! :-) Thanks to the OP and the contributors … these threads help current and as demonstrated, future GD owners. :-)

Comment

Yup..Thanks Dallas! The over tightness of the straps has been bothering me...but I hadn't bothered to look/investigate for a fix yet...... I always figure I'll get a round to it before I have to refill a tank again......not!.
          Doing it today!
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

It is sometimes nice to see an old post touch on current topics. Not sure how I missed this before, but as soon as rig returns from shop I am adjusting my straps as well.

Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger
            2018 F-350 SRW Diesel long bed Platinum edition

Comment

Got the straps remounted today. So simple yet works so well.
              And it didn't cost anything!!!
              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

I need to try this too. Mine are way to tight and can't get them to close properly. Thanks for reviving an old post.

Rob
                Rob & Barb
                2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by AlanS1973 View Post
                  Thanks to the OP and the contributors … these threads help current and as demonstrated, future GD owners. :-)
                  Your welcome!

Actually, more Kudos to the folks that maintain the forum.

2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
                  2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
                  E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
                  Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

I agree with the others above. I had not taken time to search the forum for the tank strap issue. So it is good that an old thread was revised. I will definitely try that, bending the latch back into shape is getting old.
                    2022 Momentum 397THS-R 12/3/2021
                    Traded 2021 Reflection 337
                    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
                    Formerly M&K337

Comment

Another thankful camper here - great thread. Just performed this mod today. Decided to move one of the mounting screws on each strap about an inch inward to allow more slack.

Click image for larger version

Name:	propane strap 2.png
Views:	76
Size:	523.7 KB
ID:	129121

Had to be careful to avoid hitting wiring behind the panel these straps are screwed to.

Name:	propane strap.png
Views:	66
Size:	821.6 KB
ID:	129122

Much easier to secure, and still stable. Easily removable shower curtain rings used on the latches to keep them in place, though they over-center pretty well.

Name:	IMG_1379.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	129123
                      Jeff & Janice
                      2019 Solitude 377MBS, 5.5kW Onan, Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, EquaFlex/wetbolts, Triangle TRT01 LRG tires, Splendide W/D, Magnum Energy 3000W inverter/charger, 4-225AH-6V NPP AGM's, Winegard WiFi extender, RV airflow, Progressive Ind HW EMS, Andersen Ultimate Hitch​

Comment

Great post. I wiggle and giggle them until i can latch them. Im going to try your idea. Thanks
                        "No place to go, No hurry to get there"
                        2019 GD Momentum 376 TH
                        2015 Dodge 3500 Cummins
                        2015 HD Ultra Classic Limited

Comment

Working...
                        X