Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Propane tank holder straps difficult to close.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane tank holder straps difficult to close.

After struggling with getting the tank straps closed on Momentum propane tanks for over two years I finally had enough and actually started looking at them. My first thought was to replace them with ratchet straps, but that didn't go as well as expected and then there was some mention of a requirement for metal retainer straps. I never could chase that one down.

So while messing with it I noticed that the straps are attached with 2 self tapping sheet metal screws set about 4 inches apart. Pretty wide spread. So I unscrewed one and re-inserted it about 3 inches from the other one, then put the tank back in. The strap was easy to close, no more hammering on it or prying it pliers. The tanks were secure without movement.

I kick myself for struggling with it since day 1, the fix was so easy.
    Last edited by howson; 12-17-2020, 04:18 PM.
    2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
    2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
    E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
    Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Dallas - I read a similar post from you in the other sandbox. Nice to see you are getting your toes sandy here too ! Thanks, for sharing this.......good information.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
      Nice to see you are getting your toes sandy here too !

Dan
      Testing the waters. I like to share my 9 years of full time experience. Doesn't always make me right or even good. But if what I write will help just one person then it is worth the effort. I am also kind of hoping that the fine folks at GD will be listening here also. I don't ever expect them to change a thing based on what I say, but perhaps what I say will add a little bit of data to the decision process. Perhaps propane strap installers will get a new little template gadget that makes each strap installation perfect. Could happen....

Comment

Originally posted by d2reid View Post
        I like to share my 9 years of full time experience.
        I, for one, am very happy to read and learn from others so thanks for posting, Dallas!

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I like to share my 9 years of full time experience.
          Hi Dallas

Welcome to "this sandbox". I have one propane tank strap that has always been difficult to connect. I never thought of just moving the attaching screw . . . good idea! Thanks.

Rob

Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

THANK YOU! Had a terrible time latching these. Will be moving a screw!

Comment

Originally posted by Triplethreat
              I'm going to check mine tomorrow....both of them are almost impossible to close and latch....with channellocks
              GDRV-Megan and/or GDRV-Emily --this thread is good feedback for the factory. Perhaps with just a minor change in screw placement there'd be one less headache for owners. (Since GD doesn't install tanks you may not even be aware this is an issue!)

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

After struggling with getting the tank straps closed on Momentum propane tanks for over two years I finally had enough and actually started looking at them. My first thought was to replace them with ratchet straps, but that didn't go as well as expected and then there was some mention of a requirement for metal retainer straps. I never could chase that one down.

So while messing with it I noticed that the straps are attached with 2 self tapping sheet metal screws set about 4 inches apart. Pretty wide spread. So I unscrewed one and re-inserted it about 3 inches from the other one, then put the tank back in. The strap was easy to close, no more hammering on it or prying it pliers. The tanks were secure without movement.

Sweet - Thanks I hate those darn things. I put this on my Round to It list .
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

And this is why I participate in forums. One little thing shared and I have made other peoples life a little better.

Comment

And this is why I participate in forums. One little thing shared and I have made other peoples life a little better.
                    You have indeed Dallas. I haven't struggled with my straps yet (new rig) but based on past experience, I suspect mine will be super tight as well. If so, I will do this Dallas mod next week :-)
                    Brian & Kellie
                    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

So while messing with it I noticed that the straps are attached with 2 self tapping sheet metal screws set about 4 inches apart. Pretty wide spread. So I unscrewed one and re-inserted it about 3 inches from the other one, then put the tank back in.
                      Sometimes I'm amazed at how dense I can be. As I re-read your post, you said it exactly right, but I just wasn't getting what screws you were talking about. I know my buckles are riveted on, and the connectors for the buckles are already at the end of the band:

Click image for larger version

Name:	StrapEnds.jpg
Views:	1406
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	19271

When the light finally came on in my pea-brain, I moved the screws, too. I did need to move both screws on each strap -- mine were really tight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScrewsMoved.jpg
Views:	1300
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	19272

Sorry. The pictures are for others with pea-brains like me.

-Steve

2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                      Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                      2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                      18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                      640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                      Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                      Somerset, WI

Comment

Hi Dallas. Good to see you here. I had the same issue on my 2014 and I solved it the same way. You'd think they'd fit check them before installing the tanks.

Jim
                        Jim and Ginnie
                        2024 Solitude 310GK
                        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks for sharing!! I have passed this along to our production managers.

Comment

Originally posted by Triplethreat
                            Update on my previous post.....I relocated the screws on mine yesterday....both tanks, all 4 staps....all 8 screws. The guys that put these in don't really have much choice. The strapping is "pre drilled" with holes already in them. Now that's not saying that the manufacturer of the straps couldn't do something different, but as they are right now, they just come pre drilled. And yes, I drill new holes in the strapping material where I needed them to be.

While I was in there, I decided that I would hang some padlocks on the straps also. I had 5 locks that are all keyed alike, so each tank now has two padlocks hanging on them, since the propane compartment door doesn't lock.
                            Just use caution when using locks on propane cylinders. First responders do not like to have to waste time trying to remove propane cylinders from a burning RV.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Just use caution when using locks on propane cylinders. First responders do not like to have to waste time trying to remove propane cylinders from a burning RV.

Brian
                              When ours was on fire, the first thing the firefighters did was open the doors, unsnap the tanks and throw them as far as they could. You can see from the attached photo how close the flames came to taking out the tank area on the driver's side. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_3081.jpg
Views:	1265
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	20171
                              Jim and Ginnie
                              2024 Solitude 310GK
                              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                              X