Propane smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane smell

Twice now I have had a smell of propane from the heater when I have emptied a propane tank with the second tank valve closed so the auto switch has not been activated. Gets our attention quick. Was told that the oderant pools at the bottom of the tank and when the tank nears empty the smell intensifies. Truth to this? We scramble to open windows and doors to avoid a boom. As soon as I go out and open the full tank and switch over the lever to the full bottle the smell disappears.
    Any insight would be appreciated.
    2022 Imagine 3250BH. Weigh Safe distributing hitch.
    2005 Ford 350Lariet crew cab SRW 6.0 Bulletproofed.
    Snowplow fan clutch for Arizona heat

Arizona Camper

No special expertise on my part regarding propane, but I don't buy the story you were told.

When the first tank runs out of propane the flame in the heater will quit. If the thermostat is still calling for heat, the main board will attempt to light the heater three times. After three attempts the heater goes into "lock out". The fan continues to run for a minute or two, purging any additional fumes or gas that may be left over.

There shouldn't be the smell of propane (to the best of my knowledge).

Propane is a terrific fuel source, but when there's a suspected problem IMHO it should be inspected and fixed ASAP.

If under warranty, this is something to take to the dealer to work. If you decide on a mobile tech, first inquire if a propane license is required to work on propane equipment in an RV in your state. (Most people don't know it is required in Florida.) If a license is required, insist on seeing the mobile tech's certification before allowing them to work on your unit. (The test is not easy--at least not here in my state.)

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I agree with Howard, something is amiss. You shouldn't be smelling mercaptan at all inside the coach. I suggest return to dealer or certified C3 tech for appropriate inspection of the system and purge and refill of your tanks.

Mike
      Mike & Sonya
      2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
      Blue Ox SwayPro
      2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Working...
      X