Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Propane compartment be sealed from the front (battery/generator) compartment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Propane compartment be sealed from the front (battery/generator) compartment

Hi: I have a new 310GK-R. When looking over the unit I noticed an unsealed (open) circular hole between the left propane compartment and the front storage compartment where the batteries and the generator prep housing is located. The matching hole on the right side is foam sealed with an electrical able passing through.

Photo shows hole with a USB cable passed through to highlight hole. Looking at the inside of the front compartment towards the left propane compartment.

Should this hole be sealed for propane safety?

Thanks!

Steve
    RV: 2020 Solitude 310GK-R
    TV: 2020 GMC 3500 DRW

Originally posted by swmurray View Post
    Hi: I have a new 310GK-R. When looking over the unit I noticed an unsealed (open) circular hole between the left propane compartment and the front storage compartment where the batteries and the generator prep housing is located. The matching hole on the right side is foam sealed with an electrical able passing through.

Photo shows hole with a USB cable passed through to highlight hole. Looking at the inside of the front compartment towards the left propane compartment.

Should this hole be sealed for propane safety?

Thanks!

Steve
    I can't speak to the safety aspect, but why not just cover it with a piece of gorilla tape?

Maybe a goofy idea...but what about a furniture plug? Not sure of the diameter, but something like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	jplug.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	13125
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Steve - welcome to the form. Yes I believe they should be. They are on my unit (no holes either). If you measure the hole diameter you should be able to get a rubber plug from any auto store, or tape it over as Howard suggest. Years ago I picked up a box or assorted rubber plugs from Harbor Freight. Handy to have.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

swmurray
        Hi Steve,

You are correct that a compartment containing propane should be isolated from all other spaces and vented to the outside. I would agree with plugging this hole . . . but, it looks to be very high in the propane compartment and propane is heavier than air. With the bottom of the compartment being open to the outside, it would be very unlikely that propane vapour could ever reach that hole.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

vapour

Rob

You realize the gdrvowners spell-checker lights up every time you post, don't you?

-Steve

(just kidding. . .)
          2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
          Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
          2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
          18k B&W Companion, non-slider
          640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
          Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
          Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

You realize the gdrvowners spell-checker lights up every time you post, don't you?

-Steve

(just kidding. . .)
            Lol! My devices are set to “Canadian”. They auto correct vapor to vapour even when I try to speak American.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will seal it up.
              RV: 2020 Solitude 310GK-R
              TV: 2020 GMC 3500 DRW

Comment

Working...
              X