Outside Grill Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside Grill Question

I feel you Carls S. Hi all! I'm newbie who just got a 2018 Reflection 337RLS. I have an quick connect to my propane line (about 1/2" female) on the RV. I need some idea's of what kind of grill to get. When at the camping store the other day I was about to get a Coleman grill but when I saw the propane inlet it was designed for a small propane bottle. When I asked what hoses/connector I needed for connection to the grill I was told the Coleman grills won't work with my RV's propane. I need a special type of grill but can't remember the name or type.
    I do want to get a grill soon. Any help available would be appreciated. Looking forward to meeting you all on the road!

Welcome to the forum LovingLife. Glad you could join us.

Many grills have their own propane regulator. Since the pressure from the RV is already regulated down to 11" W.C. there is not enough pressure to push the gas through another regulator.

I know the Weber Q can be converted to operate on the low pressure gas provided by an RV. You may be able to find conversion kits for other brands also. Here's a video on how to convert a Weber Q to operate on the RV's quick connect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjCeW5s7wvk

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by LovingLife View Post
      I feel you Carls S. Hi all! I'm newbie who just got a 2018 Reflection 337RLS. I have an quick connect to my propane line (about 1/2" female) on the RV. I need some idea's of what kind of grill to get. When at the camping store the other day I was about to get a Coleman grill but when I saw the propane inlet it was designed for a small propane bottle. When I asked what hoses/connector I needed for connection to the grill I was told the Coleman grills won't work with my RV's propane. I need a special type of grill but can't remember the name or type.
      I do want to get a grill soon. Any help available would be appreciated. Looking forward to meeting you all on the road!
      In addition to the info TucsonJim provided, Changing Lanes (a YouTube channel) has good info on this topic:

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

This is the one I have. It does have its own regulator and designed for RV use. Works great.

RVQgrill.com (RVQ II grill)
        Jim (& Sharon)
        2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
        2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
        The toys:
        2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
        2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

We use a Camp Chef Tahoe 3 burner stove , a little big maybe. This does not have a regulator. I found on the Amazon site a hose that fits the quick disconnect on the RV and also fits the stove, 10 feet long I think. This has worked well for us. I also bought a hose that has a regulator on it and I use this up front directly of off the propane cylinder.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I use Blackstone 2 burner with hose kit shown in video above,
            2021 Reflection 303RLS
            2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
            Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

I had one of those free-standing Coleman red grills ( road trip ) at first and I hated it. I removed the regulator and bought a hose with a male QC end and a 3/8" female end for hooking up to the RV. Sold that and got a Nexgrill tabletop model at Costco which looks just like the Weber but, less expensive. Converted that one also. I got a 10' hose for it so I had some flexibility. I also got a regulator that hooks to a bulk bottle with a female QC ( always carry a spare ) so I can use that one further away from the trailer. https://propanegear.com/quick-tank-q...-tank-adapter/ I'm debating on getting a Blackstone 22" and will convert that from the tiny bottle also if I do get one.

Happy camping

John
              John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
              2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
              ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
              2017 Jayco 26BH
              2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

LovingLife We recently got a Flame King gas grill. Seems to be of adequate quality. It has a 500 in the model number, 12,000 BTU. It works great so far on burgers and steaks, plenty of heat. It comes with a mount for the side of the r.v. however I was convinced by others on here to NOT mount it on the side of the rig due to grease and the heat potential near the laminated siding. Made a lot of sense when a person thinks about it. We got a 12 foot quick connect hose for it to get it away from the r.v. Happy grilling.

Dave
                flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

LovingLife the tanks on the RV should be regulated for the majority of grills on the market so you wont want a second regulator (that would be too low). I would just make sure the quick connect hose you purchase will attach to your grill as well.

We have a 22" 2burner Blackstone and got a hose from Amazon (Gaspro?) and it works well.

Has anyone used a Y splitter off of the factory quick connect to use the supplied outdoor kitchen 2-burner AND a grill? Any problems with pressure on that?
                  2021 GD Imagine 2400BH - Hensley hitch, Levelmate Pro, TPMS, Furrion back up and a few other things
                  2018 Nissan Titan SV 5.6L 4x4 - 3 kids and a co-pilot

Comment

Originally posted by GrandDeal3 View Post
                    LovingLife the tanks on the RV should be regulated for the majority of grills on the market so you wont want a second regulator (that would be too low). I would just make sure the quick connect hose you purchase will attach to your grill as well.

We have a 22" 2burner Blackstone and got a hose from Amazon (Gaspro?) and it works well.

Has anyone used a Y splitter off of the factory quick connect to use the supplied outdoor kitchen 2-burner AND a grill? Any problems with pressure on that?
                    Sorry, again late to the party but yes, I just tested this. Put a splitter on the quick connect and wva-lah! The outdoor range still worked with our griddle - btw, huge outdoor griddle still gets packed in the truck not the rig...

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGeorge View Post

Sorry, again late to the party but yes, I just tested this. Put a splitter on the quick connect and wva-lah! The outdoor range still worked with our griddle - btw, huge outdoor griddle still gets packed in the truck not the rig...
                      Thanks for the update. Took our first trip of the season this past weekend and the Blackstone did great. My wife said immediately she wants me to get a splitter so we can run the 2-burner outside in conjunction. Looks like I got a pass to buy more toys!! haha. Thanks BostonGeorge
                      2021 GD Imagine 2400BH - Hensley hitch, Levelmate Pro, TPMS, Furrion back up and a few other things
                      2018 Nissan Titan SV 5.6L 4x4 - 3 kids and a co-pilot

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                        Welcome to the forum LovingLife. Glad you could join us.

Many grills have their own propane regulator. Since the pressure from the RV is already regulated down to 11" W.C. there is not enough pressure to push the gas through another regulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjCeW5s7wvk

Jim
                        I’ve been reading through various threads and this one seems closest to my situation. I have a grill that has worked - nice & compact - but it is also build to use the small bottles. The instructions actually say it is designed for 11” water column inlet pressure. It has a typical valve on the piece that the bottle screws on to, which I guess has some sort of regulator? (I haven’t found what the typical pressure of one of the small propane bottles is). I would like the option to connect it to the quick connect valve pre-plumbed on the side of our Reflection 150/260. It would seem that if I just get the right adapter hose that should work, right?

P.S. - thanks to those in other threads discussing the risks of the small bottles; after having one leak when disconnected, I’m definitely getting some of the screw on caps to seal them off for transport! In my case I was able to reconnect to the stove and burn the rest of the contents, rather than just venting the propane. I hope to be able to find some of the re-fillable ones to use once I empty what I have, for times when I want to set up farther from the trailer than hose will permit.
                        2021 Reflection 260 RD
                        2020 Ford F-250

Comment

RGEarley

There should be a valve that is close to the connection where the small bottle attaches that you use to turn on the gas, this valve will also be the regulator. More than likely you will have to change over the valve/small bottle fitting to a straight thru fitting. If you post a picture of the bottle connection on the grill with the valve I am sure someone can help you with what you may need.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

RGEarley

Another option - if you're just trying to get away from the 1lb cylinders and use a 10 or 20lb refillable, you can get hoses that attach to the large tank and have the proper fitting at the other end.

I use one of these for my Coleman stove since it works at high pressure (15psi) as opposed to 11" WC.

Here's an example (note- link is to Amazon Canada but US site would have it I should think).

https://www.amazon.ca/Propane-Adapte...cx_mr_hp_atf_m

Ken & Sandra
                            2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

There is also a 5-lb refillable cylinder available. I'm considering adapting my Weber.

I have adapted my Blackstone griddle to attach the the trailer qd fitting.
                              Ted
                              2021 Reflection 310RLS
                              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                              X