Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane level indicators - types and how they work

Moderators if the title does not work please change

Good morning folks, or it could be afternoon.
    How does everyone know or check the level of propane in their tanks? I did a search here and came up short. The other place had some. The third place, IR**, had more, but between the battering and naysayers I could not trust half the comments . I know folks here are straight forward and honest.

I have seen sensors you mount to the bottom of the tanks and use your smart phone or by a separate monitor. I have also seen pencil looking devices you run up the tank and it light up at the fluid level (probably what I want if it is any good). I have also seen the stick on tape that goes on the side of the tank. Even learned how to use the bathroom scale - not for me

So what actually works out there, and what do I stay away from as in seeing reviews of stuff that some are junk. I'm getting to the point I cant remember what tank I am on (yes look at the hard to see change over arrow) or which is empty as I keep forgetting to tie a piece of flagging on the empty one between trips.

Thanks
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

How does everyone know or check the level of propane in their tanks? I did a search here and came up short. The other place had some. The third place, IR**, had more, but between the battering and naysayers I could not trust half the comments . I know folks here are straight forward and honest.

I have seen sensors you mount to the bottom of the tanks and use your smart phone or by a separate monitor. I have also seen pencil looking devices you run up the tank and it light up at the fluid level (probably what I want if it is any good). I have also seen the stick on tape that goes on the side of the tank. Even learned how to use the bathroom scale - not for me

So what actually works out there, and what do I stay away from as in seeing reviews of stuff that some are junk. I'm getting to the point I cant remember what tank I am on (yes look at the hard to see change over arrow) or which is empty as I keep forgetting to tie a piece of flagging on the empty one between trips.

Thanks
    Keith
    Keith,

I use the device linked below and I know several other owners that use them also. The device has proven to be very accurate for me. But a couple of lessons learned.

They are inaccurate moments after filling. I guess that the tank contents have to settle first.
    You must place on hand on the tank while using the device in the other hand. The instuctions state to do this, but many folks don't read the instructions and become frustrated.

It has some really bad reviews on Amazon, but I believe Cate&Rob and Paul & Deb are also using them with good success.

https://smile.amazon.com/product-rev...ews-filter-bar

​​​​​​​Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Don't know how helpful this info will be, Keith, but we use one of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Was a few dollars less five years ago and gets 31% 1-star ratings on Amazon, but has worked for us. In the intervening five years, we have also learned our pattern of LP usage for each season and know what to expect. Whenever the auto regulator switches over I fill that tank, anyway, so we have never run out of propane.

Rob
      Rob & Laura
      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Thanks
        Keith
        I use the Mopeka Bluetooth sensors and love them. Put the sensor under the tanks and I setup an alert first tank switches over And when my second gets to 20%. The company is really good to work with. My first set had an issue with bad glue that caused them to fall off at some point. Just the magnets were left on my tanks. They sent me new sensors no questions asked.

I’ve since modified mine with a 12v to 3v power supply to run them off the RV batteries. No little watch batteries to change now lol.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I use the Mopeka Bluetooth sensors and love them. Put the sensor under the tanks and I setup an alert first tank switches over And when my second gets to 20%. The company is really good to work with. My first set had an issue with bad glue that caused them to fall off at some point. Just the magnets were left on my tanks. They sent me new sensors no questions asked.

I’ve since modified mine with a 12v to 3v power supply to run them off the RV batteries. No little watch batteries to change now lol.
          If you like playing with techie toys (I do!), and you own the Mopeka sensors, you should check this out....
          https://rvwhisper.com/propane-sensors/

It's an IOT gateway for your RV. (Think of it like SmartThings for an RV)
          Mike
          2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post

If you like playing with techie toys (I do!), and you own the Mopeka sensors, you should check this out....
            https://rvwhisper.com/propane-sensors/

It's an IOT gateway for your RV. (Think of it like SmartThings for an RV)
            Nice I’ll check it out. I made a temperature and power monitor that run off an Adrino once as a project.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Yoda TucsonJim
              Hi Keith,

The hand held sensor that Jim linked is at the inexpensive and KISS end of alternatives but does really work. As Jim notes, the part that many users don't follow is to have a firm grip on the tank with the other hand. This is important to getting a proper reading. I have had mine for several years (based on recommendation from Jim) and the only time that readings got erratic was when the battery needed replacing.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks folks just what I was looking for
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Another vote for the Mopeka bluetooth sensors. Ours have been very accurate and work well.

Andi
                  Andi
                  Brookings SD
                  2018 Reflection 337RLS
                  2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Comment

Yoda
                    I'll be the naysayer in the group. :(

Mopeka was very responsive and sent two replacements for magnet coming unglued and an unresponsive sensor, but I got tired of messing with them. Sometimes they'd work, sometimes they did not. What I did was get tanks with integrated gauges. After talking to the proprietor at propanegear.com I tried them and they've been great. No batteries to change, no bluetooth to connect to, just look at the gauges. And since they are integrated in the tank, they *should* be very reliable. I use very little propane so honestly have run out since I bought the new tanks.

I replaced the 30lb tanks with smaller 20lb tanks (to save weight on the tongue) so I am not sure if the larger tanks are available. This is the 20lb version: https://www.amazon.com/Soda-Buddy-Re.../dp/B00O3GVPPQ
                    Last edited by howson; 07-23-2020, 05:47 AM.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                      Yoda
                      I'll be the naysayer in the group. :( Mopeka was very responsive and sent two replacements for magnet coming unglued and an unresponsive sensor, but I got tired of messing with them. Sometimes they'd work, sometimes they did not. What I did was get tanks with integrated gauges. After talking to the proprietor at propanegear.com I tried them and they've been great. No batteries to change, no bluetooth to connect to, just look at the gauges. And since they are integrated in the tank, they *should* be very reliable. (I use very little propane so honestly have run out since I bought the new tanks.)

I replaced the 30lb tanks with smaller 20lb tanks (to save weight on the tongue) so I am not sure if the larger tanks are available. This is the 20lb version: https://www.amazon.com/Soda-Buddy-Re.../dp/B00O3GVPPQ
                      I have one of those tanks as well. Bought mine at BJ's. I'm coming up on year 11 with it. (Can't refill it after year 12, so it's good to know I could get a replacement from Amazon if BJ's doesn't have them)
                      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                        Yoda
                        I'll be the naysayer in the group. :( Mopeka was very responsive and sent two replacements for magnet coming unglued and an unresponsive sensor, but I got tired of messing with them. Sometimes they'd work, sometimes they did not. What I did was get tanks with integrated gauges. After talking to the proprietor at propanegear.com I tried them and they've been great. No batteries to change, no bluetooth to connect to, just look at the gauges. And since they are integrated in the tank, they *should* be very reliable. (I use very little propane so honestly have run out since I bought the new tanks.)

But how does the gauge read the level of the propane without a sensor or float in the tank? Does is just use tank pressure?

Comment

But how does the gauge read the level of the propane without a sensor or float in the tank? Does is just use tank pressure?
                          Don't all propane measure devices use tank pressure? Except maybe for the one's the "gauges" that hang on the side of a grill with the tank on a spring (so in that case it's weight).

I really don't know. All I know is there's a gauge. It's easy to read. No batteries or connecting anything.

Keep in mind this is from an owner that uses very little propane, so this setup works for me. No doubt other setups are better depending on an individual's circumstances.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson

Propane liquid quantity is measured by weight or by physical level. The hand held sensor discussed earlier works like a wall stud sensor looking for where there is liquid rather than vapor behind the tank wall. Propane (vapor) pressure is entirely a function of temperature. The liquid propane converts to vapor within the tank at this pressure. This pressure will be the same if the tank is 80% full (maximum) all the way until the last liquid droplets vaporize. Then, the pressure will start to drop.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

It has a float in the tank connected to the gauge.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X