Propane Bottle Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane Bottle Size

I’m wondering if anyone has switched out their standard 20 pound propane bottles for 30 pound bottles. Issues?

The only issues you would have is you need a longer hold down threaded rod and increased tongue weight .

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by FlatHat View Post
      I’m wondering if anyone has switched out their standard 20 pound propane bottles for 30 pound bottles. Issues?
      I actually went the other way--swapped out the 30 for 20lb'ers.

Welcome to the forum, BTW. Noted this was your first post, so when you get a chance check out the Welcome Letter: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I thought I would be getting the 30's but got 20's. At first I was disappointed. But the 20's are good, depending on your RVing, because they can be swapped out. We camp mostly in state parks where there isn't easy access to refill bottles. But now most smaller stores like Dollar Generals have bottle swaps. 20's for us are far more convenient should we need a refill.
        Mike & Lisa
        Central Florida
        2021 Imagine 2970RL
        1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Originally posted by FlatHat View Post
          You need a different tank cover too. My previous TT had 30s but I didn’t want to wrestle with their weight. I swapped them for 20s with another member in our camp group. Like already mentioned, we swapped my longer hold down rod for their shorter one and our tank covers. Make sure your propane line has extra play to reach up higher.
          2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
          2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
          Andersen WDH
          Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
          2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
          2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

Country Campers howson and others, what if I wanted to go from 30lb to 40lb? I understand the weight concern (both in handling tanks and trailer pin weight) but would the experts know of any other problem or concern?
            Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post
              Country Campers howson and others, what if I wanted to go from 30lb to 40lb? I understand the weight concern (both in handling tanks and trailer pin weight) but would the experts know of any other problem or concern?
              I just happened to buy some old propane bottles at a garage sale this weekend. (They are old--can't refill--but they are full and got them for $10/ea. Good for one use!)

The issue you'll deal with going from 30 to 40 is the width of the larger bottle. See pics below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	30 vs 40.JPG
Views:	727
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	30536
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I just happened to buy some old propane bottles at a garage sale this weekend. (They are old--can't refill--but they are full and got them for $10/ea. Good for one use!)

The issue you'll deal with going from 30 to 40 is the width of the larger bottle. See pics below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	30 vs 40.JPG
Views:	727
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	30536
                You may be able to get them re-certified depending on local codes. Some of the gas companies will take them in trade too - or when empty convert them to a vertical smoker

Based on your measurements might not fit through the propane bay doors, and new retaining straps will be required (for 5th wheel).
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I just happened to buy some old propane bottles at a garage sale this weekend. (They are old--can't refill--but they are full and got them for $10/ea. Good for one use!) The issue you'll deal with going from 30 to 40 is the width of the larger bottle. See pics below.
                  Thanks Howard. That's interesting - the 40-pound bottles we get here don't look like that.

https://www.amazon.ca/Flame-King-YSN...0893679&sr=8-3

Dimensions of that are 31.24 x 31.24 x 74.42 cm (which translates to 12.29" x 12.29" x 29.21"). Dimensions of the 30-pound are 30.48 x 30.48 x 60.96 cm (12" x 12" x 24"), which is so close I thought they were the same except in the height dimension.

I would definitely be able to put these 40lb bottles in my propane bays by inserting them top-first up into the copious space above the bottles and then settling the base in place. The existing connector hoses would reach to them. The nearly-one-third-inch of extra girth that I didn't know about would present a challenge re: the straps, but that could be worked around.

Would there be any other reason not to do this? I'm wondering about compatibility with the regulator, connectors, pressure, or any other gotchas.
                  Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

Thanks Howard. That's interesting - the 40-pound bottles we get here don't look like that.

https://www.amazon.ca/Flame-King-YSN...0893679&sr=8-3

Dimensions of that are 31.24 x 31.24 x 74.42 cm (which translates to 12.29" x 12.29" x 29.21"). Dimensions of the 30-pound are 30.48 x 30.48 x 60.96 cm (12" x 12" x 24"), which is so close I thought they were the same except in the height dimension.

I would definitely be able to put these 40lb bottles in my propane bays by inserting them top-first up into the copious space above the bottles and then settling the base in place. The existing connector hoses would reach to them. The nearly-one-third-inch of extra girth that I didn't know about would present a challenge re: the straps, but that could be worked around.

Would there be any other reason not to do this? I'm wondering about compatibility with the regulator, connectors, pressure, or any other gotchas.
                    I have no expertise in this area, Mark. Rob ( Cate&Rob ) probably knows...

Comment

Working...
                    X