Propane pigtail and regulator leaks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane pigtail and regulator leaks.

I wanted to use my curb side bottle and shut the street one so I opened it. I started smelling slight propane odor so I checked connections with soapy water. No bubbles but the hose is really in bad shape and the red regulator in picture might also be in need of replacement. Where do I go to get this replaced? I am sure dealer will charge a lot and we are traveling now so not able to get parts shipped for another week or so. For now I shut that side and filled tank on street side which seems to be ok.
    Attached Files
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
    I wanted to use my curb side bottle and shut the street one so I opened it. I started smelling slight propane odor so I checked connections with soapy water. No bubbles but the hose is really in bad shape and the red regulator in picture might also be in need of replacement. Where do I go to get this replaced? I am sure dealer will charge a lot and we are traveling now so not able to get parts shipped for another week or so. For now I shut that side and filled tank on street side which seems to be ok.
    I got my last one on Amazon about 50 bucks, simple to swap out. Good luck.
    Dave and Sue
    2020 GD 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

I had some time today within route to look up these parts. I can’t find any info on what ends should come with the pigtail. I located the single stage regulator on etrailer. Now thinking I should also carry pigtail for street side that connects to the 2 stage. Any ideas on stainless pigtails vs what we have now?
      Vivian
      2018 Reflection 303rls
      Demco Recon

Comment

Beachcamper

I have replaced the pigtails on both sides and recently the red regulator has started leaking through the vent hole. Any rubber part (hoses, regulator diaphragm, seals, etc) in contact with propane should be considered as "requiring periodic replacement". Propane leaches the plasticizer out of rubber, causing it to become brittle. Even a stainless braid line is going to have a rubber hose inside it. The best plan is to carry spares and make replacement a part of regular maintenance. The parts are not expensive and replacement is easy. Just be sure to check for leaks with soapy water after replacing any part.

You are correct to be careful on the end fittings of the pigtails. Mine are different on each side. One has a pipe thread end and one has a cone seal end.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob, is the only way to find out hose ends by removing them? Or is there a place to look that has this info.

Vivian

Vivian
          2018 Reflection 303rls
          Demco Recon

Comment

Rob, is the only way to find out hose ends by removing them? Or is there a place to look that has this info.

Vivian
            Vivian,
            I think I can post this without getting in trouble . Not sure if it helps or not, but it's all I can do to assist.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vivian1.jpg
Views:	892
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	30848

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Your help is always appreciated Howson my pigtails say 1/4” and I measured it at 18” overall. Just need end fitting type
              Vivian
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              Demco Recon

Comment

Your help is always appreciated Howson my pigtails say 1/4” and I measured it at 18” overall. Just need end fitting type
                Propane is one of the areas I hope to get smarter. Lots to learn! I'm sure Professor Cate&Rob will be along shortly (or one of the other knowledgeable forum members).
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The 1/4" is the inside hose diameter. The fitting end will be either straight or tapered threads , not sure what size or style though.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

It would be great if GD would put up the size, length and end fitting of these pigtails for us on the parts page. I think at this point will have to remove them to verify. Might wait to get to winter spot at this point.

I do appreciate all of you for trying to help out

vivian
                    Vivian
                    2018 Reflection 303rls
                    Demco Recon

Comment

Vivian

According to e-trailer they list two different types , they list the red regulator to have both connections as 1/4" NPT , then below they list 1/4" FPT. A call to e-trailer and I am sure that they would let you know the right size that you would need , I have them to be very helpful.

Brian

On a side note I do not rely on the red regulator on the curb side , there seems to be many problems with them. When the street side cylinder is empty I just move the full one from the curb side over to the street side. A little pain to do but I then take the empty in for a refill, just a thought.
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Vivian

Hi Vivian,

The choices for pigtail end fitting are 1/4" NPT (tapered thread) or 1/4" inverted flare. As I recall, as originally manufactured by Grand Design, I had one pigtail with each. When I replaced the pigtail hoses, both new ones had inverted flare connections, so I installed a NPT to inverted flare adapter into the red regulator. (See attached photo)

Etrailer has a good description of the different connections and sells the adapter from NPT to inverted flare. https://www.etrailer.com/faq-common-...-fittings.aspx

There are several different pigtail hose lengths used . . . best to measure what you have, to be sure.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0833.jpg
Views:	1016
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	30873
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Brian and Rob, at the moment I shut down curb side and only using the street side which has the switching 2 stage regulator. With this setup I will wait to get to winter spot and take all this apart to make sure and order the right ones if etrailer can’t help. I will take pictures of my pigtail ends and lengths for each side just in case anyone needs this info.

I was on eTrailer site as suggested and they have a single stage that looks pretty cheap but has good reviews and is comparable to the GR-630 model on the 303 I have. It’s this one with 1/4” female in/outlet. Will call them tomorrow when I get to next campsite and see what the pigtails I need would be. BTW, I have a roll of the blue monster PTFE tape will that work or buy the one made for gas line?

https://www.etrailer.com/Propane/MB-Sturgis/108072.html

do you guys ever change the street side 2 stage or is that better made than the single stage one? Wonder if I should buy one for the kit just in case.

vivian
                          Vivian
                          2018 Reflection 303rls
                          Demco Recon

Comment

Beachcamper
                            Hi Vivian,

There is specific thread seal tape for pipe thread fittings used with gas. The inverted flare fittings do not need (and should not have) thread seal tape. I carry a spare switching regulator, but have never needed it. Ironically (Murphy's Law of spare parts) I need the pressure reducing one (same as your situation) and I don't have one of those in the spares bin )

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Here is some good news I called my dealer in the pan handle Dixie RV, as I will be there next week to get my Furrion micro convection oven replaced under my Forever Warranty. I asked them if they had the parts in stock and they said they did AND that is also covered under that warranty! finally, something going my way with repairs. So now, they can do that repair and I will get that spare hose for the street side. I am sure that won’t last too long if this one went.
                              Vivian
                              2018 Reflection 303rls
                              Demco Recon

Comment

Working...
                              X