Propane Use - One Tank at a Time or Both Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane Use - One Tank at a Time or Both Open

I was in the process of making up a maintenance spread sheet and was reading through the GD suppled owners' manual. On P136 there was a note, stating to have only one propane tank open at a time. If both open, propane will be drawn equally from both tanks. In my past RV'ing time with 3 5th wheels I have always opened both. I check regularly and when the tank to which the lever at the regulator is pointed is empty, the red triangle on the regulator appears. Then I switch the lever to the other tank and the triangle shows green. Has there been a change in regulator technology and operation, or have I never fully understood how it worked? With only one tank open you could run out of propane in the middle of a cold night and only find out when the ice started forming.

Thanks for an informed opinion.

Rich
    Rich & Shari Clark, Surrey, BC
    2019 310GK, Added Furion Observation Camera, Hitch Receiver to come.
    2016 GMC 3500 Duramax Denali

Originally posted by CLARKR4 View Post
    I was in the process of making up a maintenance spread sheet and was reading through the GD suppled owners' manual. On P136 there was a note, stating to have only one propane tank open at a time. If both open, propane will be drawn equally from both tanks. In my past RV'ing time with 3 5th wheels I have always opened both. I check regularly and when the tank to which the lever at the regulator is pointed is empty, the red triangle on the regulator appears. Then I switch the lever to the other tank and the triangle shows green. Has there been a change in regulator technology and operation, or have I never fully understood how it worked? With only one tank open you could run out of propane in the middle of a cold night and only find out when the ice started forming.

Thanks for an informed opinion.

Rich
    It should only draw from whatever tank the regulator is pointed to. I think if you have the regulator in the middle it will draw from both, maybe that is what they are referring to?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I only have one tank open at a time. It would be my luck that I would develop a leak and then have 2 empty tanks and an angry cold wife. I have never heard of a way that a regulator would draw from both tanks at one time , maybe Neil has the right idea but I have never tried it. If it is cold that we need the furnace I will always keep an eye on the tanks.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Here's how the auto-switchover regulators are designed to work (and there should be a manual for the regulator in the packet you got with your RV): With both tanks open, point the lever on the regulator to the tank you want to use first. The indicator will be green (if you have propane in that tank, of course). When that tank is empty, the regulator will automatically switch over to the other tank and the indicator will turn red. This is the signal that you need to go get the empty tank filled. Turn the lever over to the full tank and the indicator will turn green. When you get back with the newly-filled tank, connect it and slowly open the valve (this is so the built-in safety valve doesn't shut off the flow of propane). As the tanks empty, repeat this process. Be diligent about checking the indicator so you'll know when you need to refill a tank. Following this process will ensure that you don't have to get up in the middle of a cold night to go switch tanks. The odds of a leaking regulator are very small.

Rob
        Rob & Laura
        U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
        2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
        2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
        (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
        Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
          Here's how the auto-switchover regulators are designed to work (and there should be a manual for the regulator in the packet you got with your RV): With both tanks open, point the lever on the regulator to the tank you want to use first. The indicator will be green (if you have propane in that tank, of course). When that tank is empty, the regulator will automatically switch over to the other tank and the indicator will turn red. This is the signal that you need to go get the empty tank filled. Turn the lever over to the full tank and the indicator will turn green. When you get back with the newly-filled tank, connect it and slowly open the valve (this is so the built-in safety valve doesn't shut off the flow of propane). As the tanks empty, repeat this process. Be diligent about checking the indicator so you'll know when you need to refill a tank. Following this process will ensure that you don't have to get up in the middle of a cold night to go switch tanks. The odds of a leaking regulator are very small.

Rob
          Excellent summary Rob! This is how we've used our tanks with three Grand Design 5th wheels over four years. Never had a problem.
          Brian & Kellie
          2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
          2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
          2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
          2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Rob
            Exactly how we have used ours on all of our trailers for the last 16 years. Only difference that on the 297RSTS is that I have Mopeka Tank sensors that I can check the level on my phone and know when it is time to change.

Rob
            Rob & Barb
            2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
            2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Rob
              Thanks for the confirmation. What you have summarized is the way I thought the regulator worked. I will send a note to my contact in customer service as the the manual needs to be corrected. You may want to add a note for the GD person that you sometimes email, so she is aware of the incorrect instructions in the GD manual.
              Rich
              Rich & Shari Clark, Surrey, BC
              2019 310GK, Added Furion Observation Camera, Hitch Receiver to come.
              2016 GMC 3500 Duramax Denali

Comment

Rob
                Thanks for the confirmation. What you have summarized is the way I thought the regulator worked. I will send a note to my contact in customer service as the the manual needs to be corrected. You may want to add a note for the GD person that you sometimes email, so she is aware of the incorrect instructions in the GD manual.
                Rich
                You may have me confused with the "Other Rob" - Cate&Rob .

"This" Rob
                Rob & Laura
                U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Rob
                  Rich
                  I think it is fixed in the 2020 version of the manual. page 137:

Click image for larger version

Name:	paragraph.JPG
Views:	4818
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	33271
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Between the manual and the tech who did our walk thru, I was really glad that I carried two extra cylinders on our maiden voyage. Fourth nite I woke to the fan running and no heat. I went and manually switched and that one showed red too. Tapping on the cylinders produced the hollow sound and I grabbed one and changed it out. What really popped my balloon is I thought we were doing great with the LP.
                    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                    Nash County, NC
                    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
                      Between the manual and the tech who did our walk thru, I was really glad that I carried two extra cylinders on our maiden voyage. Fourth nite I woke to the fan running and no heat. I went and manually switched and that one showed red too. Tapping on the cylinders produced the hollow sound and I grabbed one and changed it out. What really popped my balloon is I thought we were doing great with the LP.
                      Was it that cold or do you just like to keep the place really warm?

Rob
                      Rob & Laura
                      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

That was our maiden voyage almost a year ago. I was running everything on propane shaking that part down. Now everything is great since it got hooked up to a 250# tank yesterday. Now I don't even have to worry about running the generator for extended periods.
                        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                        Nash County, NC
                        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Rob
                          Yes X2 - well stated, Rob ! Can't get much clearer and more precise than this !

Dan
                          Dan & Carol
                          2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                          2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Found this by accident- thankfully. Our RV packet does not have ANYTHING on: the Automatic regulator, and the instructions during our "get to know the RV weren't as clear as I would have liked. Having said that, it was a LOT of information to absorb in 60 minutes and I might well have missed it. I'm going out to check my regulator.

Comment

So does anyone have a link to the manual for the regulator on line? I'm of the opinion my MLE22 has an auto regulator, but damed if I see lights- what I do know is that the tanks switched over to the second tank, (both tanks open, lever pointed to drivers side tank) - as I just pulled a very light drivers side tank off and filled it. manual would be so nice- I don't see any ID on the regulator that isn't under the plastic.

Comment

Working...
                              X