Propane Use - One Tank at a Time or Both Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

NONE of the people who responded to your post #22 have said anything like this, including me whose post you just quoted.

In post #22 you wrote:

My understanding is that the ‘lever’ everyone talks about is not mechanical in any way and actually does nothing but remind you of which tank you are drawing from.

You're now correctly describing how auto changeover works without mentioning the lever. The lever determines which of the two tanks should be depleted FIRST before the regulator automatically switches to the other tank.
    You are Correct! Thank you. As I recall (I wish I could go back and find) one comment stated that the lever was indeed the means used to mechanically tell the regulator (paraphrasing) which tank to draw from. If this were not the case, there would have been no purpose for me to remain in the conversation, I was only trying to clarify what seemed to me to be a misunderstanding, that’s all. When I get some time I will go back and check but if I’m incorrect about that, I’ll be happy to apologize.
    Dave and Sue
    2020 GD 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Originally posted by CLARKR4 View Post
      I was in the process of making up a maintenance spread sheet and was reading through the GD suppled owners' manual. On P136 there was a note, stating to have only one propane tank open at a time. If both open, propane will be drawn equally from both tanks. In my past RV'ing time with 3 5th wheels I have always opened both. I check regularly and when the tank to which the lever at the regulator is pointed is empty, the red triangle on the regulator appears. Then I switch the lever to the other tank and the triangle shows green. Has there been a change in regulator technology and operation, or have I never fully understood how it worked? With only one tank open you could run out of propane in the middle of a cold night and only find out when the ice started forming.

Thanks for an informed opinion.

Rich
      I asked this question the other day at a campground to an old retired Master Chief who has been RVing since 1998. His answer to me was to only open one tank and continue to use it till it empties then switch to the other. Then take the empty and fill it up and repeat continuously swapping. This at least let's you know you have a full one when your other one runs out.
      Brent, Krista, and our 6 year old nugget
      Cruising with two Black Labs, Lestat and Pandora
      2021 Ram 3500 Dually Long Bed 4X4 HO Cummins (Blue Sapphire)
      2021 Imagine 3110BH (The Dog House)

Comment

Originally posted by Love2GoFastUSCG View Post
        I asked this question the other day at a campground to an old retired Master Chief who has been RVing since 1998. His answer to me was to only open one tank and continue to use it till it empties then switch to the other. Then take the empty and fill it up and repeat continuously swapping. This at least let's you know you have a full one when your other one runs out.
        This is true but when the tank runs dry at 2:00AM on a cold night and your furnace stops working, you'll have to go outside and switch tanks manually. Kind of defeats the purpose of the auto-switching regulator. I haven't had my 5th wheel since 1998 but I prefer to take advantage of the auto-switching regulator and stay nice and toasty on cold mornings. Let the regulator do the work of switching tanks while I sleep.

Everybody has their own way of doing things!
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

One tank being out of propane at 2am on a cold morning isn't fun..... 2 tanks out of propane at 2am on a cold morning is "rut-ro"!!!
          Drawing on some advice I got after having both run out when we first got our 5th wheel, I run on one, check them every day or so, and manually switch over when the tank we're running on feels low and then promptly fill the low/empty one. I don't secure the tanks while we're parked so it's easy to move them a little to get a feel for how full they are and after living in ours for almost 6 months we're getting a feel for how long the tanks last compared to the outside temperatures.
          My other trick is having a smaller propane tank for our little Weber grill that I make sure stays above 1/2 - just in case I have a "Norwegian Moment".

So far we've only run out of propane during the night a couple of times and I was easily able to remedy things so I'm going to stick with it as it's keeping my bride warm which equals happy.
          And most of us older than 29 understand how important keeping our bride happy is!
          Chris
          2019 Solitude 3740BH
          2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TheNescios View Post
            One tank being out of propane at 2am on a cold morning isn't fun..... 2 tanks out of propane at 2am on a cold morning is "rut-ro"!!!
            Drawing on some advice I got after having both run out when we first got our 5th wheel, I run on one, check them every day or so, and manually switch over when the tank we're running on feels low and then promptly fill the low/empty one. I don't secure the tanks while we're parked so it's easy to move them a little to get a feel for how full they are and after living in ours for almost 6 months we're getting a feel for how long the tanks last compared to the outside temperatures.
            My other trick is having a smaller propane tank for our little Weber grill that I make sure stays above 1/2 - just in case I have a "Norwegian Moment".

So far we've only run out of propane during the night a couple of times and I was easily able to remedy things so I'm going to stick with it as it's keeping my bride warm which equals happy.
            And most of us older than 29 understand how important keeping our bride happy is!
            That's how I learned about the automatic switchover about 49 weeks ago. On our maiden voyage I managed to empty both cylinders when it became chilly enough to need the furnace and I was also running the water heater on gas. I'd rather have that learning experience in the morning @ 49 degrees at 7 AM rather than waking up at 0300 with an interior temp of 55. After this and researched in both the owners manual and this forum I learned the true treachery of this misguided device intended solely to hear the phrase "honey, I'ts cold in here, did you forget to switch the tank over? Luckily I could supply a 20 LB tank along with heat pump and fake fireplace so that she had her 73 degree shower.... Ya gotta always have a fallback plan.
            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
            Nash County, NC
            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

I'm not getting the "run on one tank and manually switch over" thing. In over five years of full-timing, I've never run out of propane (and we've endured some brutally cold weather). If you follow the procedures and, in cold weather, check every day, that's what the automatic switch-over regulator is for.

Rob
              Rob & Laura
              U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
              2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
              2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
              (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
              Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
                I'm not getting the "run on one tank and manually switch over" thing.
                I'm shaking my head over it as well Rob.

Brian & Kellie
                2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
                  I'm not getting the "run on one tank and manually switch over" thing. In over five years of full-timing, I've never run out of propane (and we've endured some brutally cold weather). If you follow the procedures and, in cold weather, check every day, that's what the automatic switch-over regulator is for.

Rob
                  The reason I only have one cylinder open at a time is in case of the development of a leak , then you would have 2 empty cylinders. I realize that the chances of a leak are slim to none. In our group of campers we have had folks wake up in the morning with 2 empty cylinders only to find a leak in the pig tail , should have been replaced a while before though , but this can happen. If levels are checked one should never run out of propane overnight or other wise.
                  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I leave the second tank turned off . . . until I know that the first tank is close to empty. Then, I turn on the second tank and keep an eye on the selector switch for the window to turn red. Dometic make a great little level checker so that I do not have to lift tanks or otherwise guess at how much propane is left in the primary tank. https://www.dometic.com/en-ca/ca/pro...hecker-_-30723

In some jurisdictions (including ours) you buy propane by tank size. So, filling a 30 lb tank costs the same whether it was completely empty or still had propane in it. So there is an advantage to running a tank empty before taking it for refill. (I know that other jurisdictions charge by volume pumped).

Thanks TucsonJim for finding this gauge, many years ago .

Rob

Click image for larger version  Name:	35_76_dometic_gas-checker_9108844791_43576_11.png Views:	0 Size:	55.7 KB ID:	33877​​​​​​​
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                      I leave the second tank turned off . . . until I know that the first tank is close to empty. Then, I turn on the second tank and keep an eye on the selector switch for the window to turn red. Dometic make a great little level checker so that I do not have to lift tanks or otherwise guess at how much propane is left in the primary tank. https://www.dometic.com/en-ca/ca/pro...hecker-_-30723

In some jurisdictions (including ours) you buy propane by tank size. So, filling a 30 lb tank costs the same whether it was completely empty or still had propane in it. So there is an advantage to running a tank empty before taking it for refill. (I know that other jurisdictions charge by volume pumped).

Thanks TucsonJim for finding this gauge, many years ago .

Rob

Click image for larger version Name:	35_76_dometic_gas-checker_9108844791_43576_11.png Views:	0 Size:	55.7 KB ID:	33877
                      Rob,

I do the same since in our area we either pre-pay to fill a 20 lb tank (no partial fills) or we exchange for a 20lb tank that is not entirely full. I also run the tank empty and exchange it for a full spare tank while at home. I'll look into that checker.

Thank you,

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                        I leave the second tank turned off . . . until I know that the first tank is close to empty. Then, I turn on the second tank and keep an eye on the selector switch for the window to turn red. Dometic make a great little level checker so that I do not have to lift tanks or otherwise guess at how much propane is left in the primary tank. https://www.dometic.com/en-ca/ca/pro...hecker-_-30723​​
                        I bought one of these and had a lot of trouble getting a reading. Until I noticed in the manual that for some reason you must put your other hand on the tank when taking a reading. Works great now.

Bob
                        Last edited by Country Campers; 11-05-2020, 04:30 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate abbreviation.
                        2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
                        2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

Originally posted by bogen2 View Post
                          I bought one of these and had a lot of trouble getting a reading. Until I noticed in the manual that for some reason you must put your other hand on the tank when taking a reading. Works great now.

Bob
                          That is 100% True. I'll get much more accurate readings if I place my free hand on the unit. The instructions state that this will prevent erratic readings from outside influences such as fans and fluorescent lights, etc.

Here is a link to the instructions if anybody needs them:

https://www.dometic.com/assets/27/62...nual_52762.pdf

Jim
                          Last edited by Country Campers; 11-05-2020, 04:31 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate abbreviation.
                          Jim and Ginnie
                          2024 Solitude 310GK
                          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                          X