Announcement

Collapse

Need help?

Please include the year, make and model of your GDRV ("2019 Reflection 315RLTS") along with the make and model of the component with the issue ("Dometic RM1350 refrigerator", "Furrion FMCM15-BL microwave", etc) in your question.
See more
See less

Crushed Gas Line!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Crushed Gas Line!

    With the OP's permission, I'm posting a picture from Facebook about a broken spring and crushed gas line. What is particularly alarming (to me) was the owners could smell gas around their rig. Apparently the leak was sufficient to allow gas to escape but not enough to trigger the safety mechanisms in the bottles.

    Not trying to convince anyone as the debate over traveling with propane on (or off) is an old one with many, many lengthy threads. The purpose in posting this picture is it is the first evidence (non-anecdotal) I've seen that actually shows an associated hazard.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	Crushed Gas Line.JPG Views:	0 Size:	122.9 KB ID:	35083

    The full story/thread is in Bob Perciaccante's Grand Design RV Owners Facebook group.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	GD Owners Group.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	35084
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

    Howard, 2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

  • #2
    Wow!
    Never seen a spring break like that. I've seen them where they were obviously cracked before breaking, but that one looks like it just went all at once.
    If I was the owner, I'd be buying all new springs.
    2021 Reflection 303RLS

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm at a bit of a loss to understand what the gas line is even doing in a location right above the springs. Are lots of models like that? Mine is up on the side of the frame.
      Jim (& Sharon)
      2015 Momentum 385TH
      2015 Ford F-350 DRW

      Comment


      • #4
        That's pretty scary. It's posts like this that make me feel better about replacing the factory suspension with MORryde IS.
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS w/ disc brakes, Factory 300w solar
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor
        Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

        Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

        Comment


        • #5
          Wow!! Now I need to check mine to see if this can happen if one of my springs break. I have a bad feeling that mine is routed much the same way.

          Rob
          Rob & Barb
          2019 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
          2018 Reflection 297RSTS

          Comment


          • #6
            Something else to look at and ponder. I am pretty sure mine is on top of the bottom lip on the inside of the frame.
            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, and the baby kitty Cleo.
            Pilot (Zebulon), NC
            2020 Solitude 390RK-R

            Comment


            • #7
              The leaf just below the freshly broken leaf looks to have been broke for some time. Good reason to check those springs each time after traveling.

              I'll have to check if my gas line is ran along the frame this way. Thank you for sharing.

              Jim
              2017 Imagine 2600RB
              2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                The leaf just below the freshly broken leaf looks to have been broke for some time. Good reason to check those springs each time after traveling.

                I'll have to check if my gas line is ran along the frame this way. Thank you for sharing.

                Jim
                Great catch. Seeing two leaves the same length is unusual, but not common. I went to parts look up and your correct. That next leaf down certainty is supposed to be longer.
                Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, and the baby kitty Cleo.
                Pilot (Zebulon), NC
                2020 Solitude 390RK-R

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                  The leaf just below the freshly broken leaf looks to have been broke for some time.

                  Jim
                  Good catch! Guess that is what led to the break in the main leaf.

                  2021 Reflection 303RLS

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                    Good catch! Guess that is what led to the break in the main leaf.
                    Scott,

                    The concentrated load at the point of two equal length leaf's (with one being broken) would have caused the failure in the main leaf.

                    Jim
                    2017 Imagine 2600RB
                    2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I think we said the same thing Jim?
                      There's another circle check item IMO. Not something I would have previously noticed. I will keep an eye out for it now.

                      By the way, do you take that car in your avatar out camping?!? If you do I need to find you camping some day after the border opens.
                      2021 Reflection 303RLS

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                        I think we said the same thing Jim?
                        There's another circle check item IMO. Not something I would have previously noticed. I will keep an eye out for it now.

                        By the way, do you take that car in your avatar out camping?!? If you do I need to find you camping some day after the border opens.
                        Scott,

                        I will watch for this as well.

                        That was was a work car I had the pleasure in working with for awhile and unfortunately it's not mine. I added it in to see if the car guys here would notice this is the new C8. I cannot state enough how great this car is for those looking for a new toy.

                        Jim
                        2017 Imagine 2600RB
                        2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

                          Scott,

                          I will watch for this as well.

                          That was was a work car I had the pleasure in working with for awhile and unfortunately it's not mine. I added it in to see if the car guys here would notice this is the new C8. I cannot state enough how great this car is for those looking for a new toy.

                          Jim
                          Wow - just noticed, Jim.......like that color. You auto Engineers have all the fun !

                          I have been messing with my 67 Z over the last few months as my nephew (a big car guy) is interested in buying it. My neighbor (a retiring UPS driver and big time car guy) has 2 C8s ordered. One the new silver color with red accents interior/calipers/etc. and the second one a blue one I think.

                          Dan
                          Dan & Carol
                          2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                          2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

                            Wow - just noticed, Jim.......like that color. You auto Engineers have all the fun !

                            I have been messing with my 67 Z over the last few months as my nephew (a big car guy) is interested in buying it. My neighbor (a retiring UPS driver and big time car guy) has 2 C8s ordered. One the new silver color with red accents interior/calipers/etc. and the second one a blue one I think.

                            Dan
                            Don't do it Dan! Only 602 of those made.

                            This corvette is the base car at 495 Hp, with an 8 speed DCT trans and with a 1/4 mile ET at 11.1s. Your neighbor will be pleased.

                            Jim
                            Last edited by MidwestCamper; 11-23-2020, 04:15 PM.
                            2017 Imagine 2600RB
                            2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Dan bring the Z28, Jim bring the C8, I'll bring my 440 Challenger....be a great weekend...
                              2021 Reflection 303RLS

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X