Crushed Gas Line!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crushed Gas Line!

With the OP's permission, I'm posting a picture from Facebook about a broken spring and crushed gas line. What is particularly alarming (to me) was the owners could smell gas around their rig. Apparently the leak was sufficient to allow gas to escape but not enough to trigger the safety mechanisms in the bottles.

Not trying to convince anyone as the debate over traveling with propane on (or off) is an old one with many, many lengthy threads. The purpose in posting this picture is it is the first evidence (non-anecdotal) I've seen that actually shows an associated hazard.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Crushed Gas Line.JPG Views:	0 Size:	122.9 KB ID:	35083

The full story/thread is in Bob Perciaccante's Grand Design RV Owners Facebook group.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GD Owners Group.JPG
Views:	474
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	35084
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Wow!
    Never seen a spring break like that. I've seen them where they were obviously cracked before breaking, but that one looks like it just went all at once.
    If I was the owner, I'd be buying all new springs.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

I'm at a bit of a loss to understand what the gas line is even doing in a location right above the springs. Are lots of models like that? Mine is up on the side of the frame.
      Jim (& Sharon)
      2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
      2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
      The toys:
      2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
      2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

That's pretty scary. It's posts like this that make me feel better about replacing the factory suspension with MORryde IS.
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Wow!! Now I need to check mine to see if this can happen if one of my springs break. I have a bad feeling that mine is routed much the same way.

Rob
          Rob & Barb
          2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
          2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Something else to look at and ponder. I am pretty sure mine is on top of the bottom lip on the inside of the frame.
            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
            Nash County, NC
            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

The leaf just below the freshly broken leaf looks to have been broke for some time. Good reason to check those springs each time after traveling.

I'll have to check if my gas line is ran along the frame this way. Thank you for sharing.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                The leaf just below the freshly broken leaf looks to have been broke for some time. Good reason to check those springs each time after traveling.

I'll have to check if my gas line is ran along the frame this way. Thank you for sharing.

Jim
                Great catch. Seeing two leaves the same length is unusual, but not common. I went to parts look up and your correct. That next leaf down certainty is supposed to be longer.
                Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                Nash County, NC
                2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

The leaf just below the freshly broken leaf looks to have been broke for some time.

Jim
                  Good catch! Guess that is what led to the break in the main leaf.

Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                    Good catch! Guess that is what led to the break in the main leaf.
                    Scott,

The concentrated load at the point of two equal length leaf's (with one being broken) would have caused the failure in the main leaf.

Jim

Comment

I think we said the same thing Jim?
                      There's another circle check item IMO. Not something I would have previously noticed. I will keep an eye out for it now.

By the way, do you take that car in your avatar out camping?!? If you do I need to find you camping some day after the border opens.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                        I think we said the same thing Jim?
                        There's another circle check item IMO. Not something I would have previously noticed. I will keep an eye out for it now.

By the way, do you take that car in your avatar out camping?!? If you do I need to find you camping some day after the border opens.
                        Scott,

I will watch for this as well.

That was was a work car I had the pleasure in working with for awhile and unfortunately it's not mine. I added it in to see if the car guys here would notice this is the new C8. I cannot state enough how great this car is for those looking for a new toy.

Jim

Comment

Scott,

I will watch for this as well.

That was was a work car I had the pleasure in working with for awhile and unfortunately it's not mine. I added it in to see if the car guys here would notice this is the new C8. I cannot state enough how great this car is for those looking for a new toy.

Jim
                          Wow - just noticed, Jim.......like that color. You auto Engineers have all the fun !

I have been messing with my 67 Z over the last few months as my nephew (a big car guy) is interested in buying it. My neighbor (a retiring UPS driver and big time car guy) has 2 C8s ordered. One the new silver color with red accents interior/calipers/etc. and the second one a blue one I think.

Dan
                          Dan & Carol
                          2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                          2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

Wow - just noticed, Jim.......like that color. You auto Engineers have all the fun !

I have been messing with my 67 Z over the last few months as my nephew (a big car guy) is interested in buying it. My neighbor (a retiring UPS driver and big time car guy) has 2 C8s ordered. One the new silver color with red accents interior/calipers/etc. and the second one a blue one I think.

Dan
                            Don't do it Dan! Only 602 of those made.

This corvette is the base car at 495 Hp, with an 8 speed DCT trans and with a 1/4 mile ET at 11.1s. Your neighbor will be pleased.

Jim
                            Last edited by Guest; 11-23-2020, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Dan bring the Z28, Jim bring the C8, I'll bring my 440 Challenger....be a great weekend...

Comment

Working...
                              X