What grill do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What grill do you use?

Not sure if this is the place to post this but I am looking to buy a gas grill for the RV. Or a really good charcoal/wood grill/smoker. I have my eye on a Cuisinart 2 burner grill and a Akorn Jr. Kamado. What are others using? I have purchased a Blackstone 22" griddle and it is great for a lot of cooking but still want a gas or smoker.

Thank you.
    John....
    John and Lori
    2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
    2021 Imagine 22MLE

Originally posted by JHC View Post
    Not sure if this is the place to post this but I am looking to buy a gas grill for the RV. Or a really good charcoal/wood grill/smoker. I have my eye on a Cuisinart 2 burner grill and a Akorn Jr. Kamado. What are others using? I have purchased a Blackstone 22" griddle and it is great for a lot of cooking but still want a gas or smoker.

Thank you.
    John....
    We have a BroilKing Porta-Chef 320 that we take with us, and I must say I love it. It's a bigger grill and a bit of a task to get setup, made much easier with help from my better half, but it's worth it when we can grill vegetables and meat in one go.
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

I use a Weber Q1000. Easy to use and store. Got a Blackstone 22, but decided it was more of a hassle to store. I can put a cast-iron griddle in the Weber if I want a griddling surface.
      Ted
      2021 Reflection 310RLS
      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I use a large 3 burner Campchef model. Using the steel griddle top on 2 burners leaves an empty burner for a pot or pan. Plenty of space to cook all kinds of goodies. Mostly though I cook on the camp fire , food tastes much better.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I removed the stove on my outside kitchen, and replaced it with a standard shelf, and use a 17" Blackstone there. We're weekender's, so as little setup as possible is my goal, since I need to maximize my beer sipping time.

Other people prefer a freestanding stove, little more setup, but they are hunkered down for over a week at a time. What's your preference?
          Mike
          2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

We use a Weber Smokey Joe. Like to cook on charcoal and the secondary benefit of pouring the hot coals over firewood results in an effortless fire by the time we have finished eating.

They have a new model where they have eliminated the bottom vents and have added a lid lock, so no messes while traveling.

Weber 14 in. Smokey Joe Premium Charcoal Grill Black - Ace Hardware

Jim

Comment

We have the stainless steel 2 burner stove. I think our first one was Curisinart, the current one is Chargrill. About $80 at home depot, they have been rebranded a couple of times but essentially the same suit case style grill.
              2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
              2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
              E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
              Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Blackstone 22"

Click image for larger version

Name:	blackstone.jpg
Views:	1343
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	36859
                Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                2020 Momentum 351M
                2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by JHC View Post

Thank you.
                  John....
                  I use the Blackstone Tailgater and absolutely love it! It gives you so much versatility. I do wish the griddle part had two burner controls but the single is manageable with some practice. The grill side is very versatile. I have used it as an over a few times cooking pizza, corn bread and cinnamon roles. You can also take the grill side (or either side) and just use the burner under a big pot.

If you don't move too often it works great. I wouldn't get it out and setup for 1 night. We just plan meals accordingly.
                  Mike & Lisa
                  Central Florida
                  2021 Imagine 2970RL
                  1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

I have been looking as wel for a grilll, wife doesn't want a griddle but she told me we should try a pellet grill. I'm kind of sold on the Traeger Ranger portable tabletop TFT18LD. This way I don't need gas and storing pellets in the 29RS exterior cooking area with plastic bins would work great, just plug into the refergator receptical and we can cook anywhere outside incase the wind is blowiing. This should run off the inverter as well. Anyone use this grill or pellets for grilling? thanks ed
                    Traeger Ranger Portable Tabletop Wood Pellet Grill - TFT18KLD : BBQGuys

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Pauly View Post
                      I have been looking as wel for a grilll, wife doesn't want a griddle but she told me we should try a pellet grill. I'm kind of sold on the Traeger Ranger portable tabletop TFT18LD. This way I don't need gas and storing pellets in the 29RS exterior cooking area with plastic bins would work great, just plug into the refergator receptical and we can cook anywhere outside incase the wind is blowiing. This should run off the inverter as well. Anyone use this grill or pellets for grilling? thanks ed
                      Traeger Ranger Portable Tabletop Wood Pellet Grill - TFT18KLD : BBQGuys
                      Haven't used or seen that one. I have seen many YT vids of people that use the Green Mountain Davy Crockett. Seems to always get very good reviews.

https://greenmountaingrills.com/prod...et-grill-wifi/

Mike & Lisa
                      Central Florida
                      2021 Imagine 2970RL
                      1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Originally posted by OurNewEra View Post

Haven't used or seen that one. I have seen many YT vids of people that use the Green Mountain Davy Crockett. Seems to always get very good reviews.

https://greenmountaingrills.com/prod...et-grill-wifi/
                        Hey Mike and Lisa,

I have the GMG Davey Crockett in my Solitude. Replaced a Weber Q2200 and have not looked back. DW and I really love to smoke on weekends and the small portable Davey Crockett has been great. There are some pros and cons to be aware of with pellet grills.
                        • The GMG Davey Crockett was the smallest portable pellet grill I could find at the time. You can use it directly on the ground or place it on the end of a picnic table.
                        • They require power to run the auger to push pellets into the fire box. On rainy days, that can be a challenge finding cover for the grill due to the electronics built-in. With the Solitude I place the grill under the front overhang. As the Davey Crockett uses 12 volt power where many others use 110v power, I installed a 12 volt marine outlet on the front wall under the overhang next to the storage door. Only once have I experienced a violent enough storm (a story for another time) to allow rain to get to the grill and shut it down.
                        • It's heavy and weighs in around 70 pounds.
                        • The fire box builds up ash and needs to be vacuumed out occasionally and it will come at the most inopportune time. I carry a small portable shop vac for just such occasions.
                        • Pellets take up space and weight. I have the capacity and space to accommodate both so it's not an issue for me.
                        • Lastly I have smoked a 18 pound brisket on this grill with wild success and fed a large group. Best brisket ever!
                        Good luck all on finding the right grill for your own camping experience.

-Lyle
                        Barb, Lyle and the two four-legged kids
                        2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
                        2018 Ford F350 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by d2reid View Post
                          We have the stainless steel 2 burner stove. I think our first one was Curisinart, the current one is Chargrill. About $80 at home depot, they have been rebranded a couple of times but essentially the same suit case style grill.
                          I am leaning to the Cuisinart. It seems to be about the best (not great) gas grill. I have a little smokey weber and it's ok.
                          John and Lori
                          2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
                          2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Originally posted by CloseToRetirement View Post
                            ]Lastly I have smoked a 18 pound brisket on this grill with wild success and fed a large group. Best brisket ever!
                            Next rally is wherever Lyle is camping!

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

With only the wife and I, we don’t require a large unit. We chose to go with the Weber Q1200 for grilling. We also have a Blackstone 17” griddle, so we’re pretty much set for both. We chose not to go with a smoker, as most of the time we are out sightseeing before dinner, so no real time for smoking. Besides, there isn’t really any space for a smoker.

I have a Mastercraft smoker at home, so we can smoke things in advance, then freeze them, if we want to. That’s much easier than setting up a smoker at a campsite.

I also carry a spare 20# propane bottle in the back of the truck, along with a 15’ hose. I can just run the hose to the table at the campsite and set up either the griddle or grill or, we also carry a fold-down plastic table that we’ve used a couple of times to put the grill or griddle on. If I’m too lazy to get that out and set it up, there’s always the option to just pull the propane tank out of the bed of the truck and set it on the ground, next to the picnic table.

The nice thing about the spare propane tank is that we have a spare if we ran out of propane in the on-board tanks.
                              Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
                              Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
                              2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
                              Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
                              Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Working...
                              X