Replacement/substitute for 30 lb. propane tank straps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement/substitute for 30 lb. propane tank straps

The latching metal straps that secure the two 30 lbs. propane tanks in our new Solitude have been difficult to work with from the get-go. They barely go around the propane tanks and are extremely hard to latch or unlatch. I purchased two extra 30 lb. DOT propane tanks to give us some extra capacity this winter and, when I rotated one of the new tanks into service today, couldn't get the bottom strap to latch around it properly. The tank must be 1/8" larger in circumference than the OEM tank. :(. All of the places that stock the OEM-style metal straps seem to be out of them at this time. Does anyone have a suggesting for an alternative that would be both safe and legal? Would EPDM straps with eye hooks or 10,000 lb. web straps be OK or would that not meet US DOT requirements? Open to any ideas...

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rob

I believe that d2reid , Dallas made a post on the screws that attach the straps to the frame. He moved the screws closer together the get a little more length so the latch latches easier.

​​​​​​​Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      Rob

I believe that d2reid , Dallas made a post on the screws that attach the straps to the frame. He moved the screws closer together the get a little more length so the latch latches easier.

Brian
      Thanks! I'll take a look at that.

​​​​​​​Rob
      Rob & Laura
      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Here's the thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/propane...icult-to-close
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Another note that I had just remembered , I have a 30# tank from out previous TT that was full. This past spring I thought I would slip it in the 5er and use the almost empty tank for the home grill. This tank fit in the door but I could not latch the straps, and also could not close the door. I did not measure the diameter of the tank to compare to the stock ones. This will remain on the home grill until empty and then I will see if I can trade it on a tank that will fit. I guess I still need to measure it as I am not sure if there are different diameters or not.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
            Another note that I had just remembered , I have a 30# tank from out previous TT that was full. This past spring I thought I would slip it in the 5er and use the almost empty tank for the home grill. This tank fit in the door but I could not latch the straps, and also could not close the door. I did not measure the diameter of the tank to compare to the stock ones. This will remain on the home grill until empty and then I will see if I can trade it on a tank that will fit. I guess I still need to measure it as I am not sure if there are different diameters or not.

Brian
            Both my OEM and new 30 pounders are supposed to be industry-standard dimensions for DOT 30 lb. tanks and are within a couple of millimeters of each other on circumference. The fact that the bands were too tight to use easily on the OEM tanks points toward Dallas' assessment and solution. Thanks!

Rob
            Rob & Laura
            U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
            Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Would standard ratchet straps work? Just trim the length (melt the cut edge).

The first time I pulled my tanks I had fits getting the straps to hook up again, but I was finally able to get them to close.
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
              X