Questions about propane basics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about propane basics

I'm hoping one of y'all can point me in the right direction, or provide, some propane basics. I'm familiar and comfortable with electrical and plumbing but not propane.

I want to add a propane quick connect but don't feel I know enough to do it safely. Some of my basic questions
    1. Any good webist fro LP basics for rv's?
    2. We have a 21G. I want the quick connect at rear of the TT on the curb side. There is a 30 gallon fuel tank at the rear of the TT. Is it OK to run a LP hose near the fuel tank?
    3. How do you know when you have a low pressure system and a high pressure system? What consideration are there for each type system?
    4. There is an LP manifold that has multiple LP lines running from it...however there is one port that is plugged. Can I use this port to add a line for the quick connect?
    5. What size line do I use? is there a chart that I can use to calculate line size?
    6. What are some of the things to consider when installing LP lines under the TT?
    Thanks in advance.
    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

acoleman43

I will try to answer a couple questions.

Any propane line after the regulator at your tanks will be low pressure. The line coming from the tank to the regulator will be high pressure. If you attach any propane using item after the regulator that item will not need a regulator.
    The one plugged port on the manifold can be removed and used , I did this on our unit.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks, that's helpful. I guess my biggest concerns are sizing the line properly and having a quick connect next to a fuel tank.

Looking at the existing lines, I'm very tempted to re-run the lines through some PVC along the frame to protect from road debris.
      Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post
        Is it OK to run a LP hose near the fuel tank?
        I can't see any reason that a properly secured propane line or quick connect attachment point cannot be near a tank for another type of fuel. Both fuels should be kept away from sources of heat or ignition, but there is no reason that one type of fuel would increase risk with the other type of fuel because they were in close proximity. (in my opinion).

Rob

Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Glad I found this question was already asked! I have a 2021 21G and was tempted to take on this project. I found the manifold with the unused plug. But I have to ask: how do you remove the plug? Unscrewing it counter clockwise seemed to do nothing, and pulling it seems to be limited to a few millimeters.

On the other end of the project, I found this for a quick connect female port that I might use.... https://propanegear.com/rv-quick-connect-install-kit/ but it is a little pricey compared to: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06Y3HTK...v_cv_lig_dp_it

Comment

larryts

The plug should unscrew counter clockwise as you have tried. Could you post a picture of the block and plug? This may help us help you.

The second quick connect is what I used with an elbow at the block.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

larryts Like Brian said, please post a picture of the plug. It almost sounds like there is already a quick connect in the port.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Where does the fuel tank at the back of the rig vent to? Vented at the cap or does it have a dedicated vent? It may be best to not operate a propane appliance close to a vented fuel cap or dedicated vent.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by larryts View Post
                  Glad I found this question was already asked! I have a 2021 21G and was tempted to take on this project. I found the manifold with the unused plug. But I have to ask: how do you remove the plug? Unscrewing it counter clockwise seemed to do nothing, and pulling it seems to be limited to a few millimeters.

On the other end of the project, I found this for a quick connect female port that I might use.... https://propanegear.com/rv-quick-connect-install-kit/ but it is a little pricey compared to: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06Y3HTK...v_cv_lig_dp_it
                  larryts If you do it, please post about it
                  Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post
                    Looking at the existing lines, I'm very tempted to re-run the lines through some PVC along the frame to protect from road debris.
                    I never thought of that. It seems like a very good idea.
                    Mike and (RIP Karen)
                    2021 2600RB
                    2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                      larryts

The plug should unscrew counter clockwise as you have tried. Could you post a picture of the block and plug? This may help us help you.

The second quick connect is what I used with an elbow at the block.

Brian
                      The plug I've tried rotating is #5 (because #6 is awkward and there's some glue goop on it). The way the plug can move out a bit just by pulling on it does seem like it might be some sort of quick connect. But, I don't see where the release mechanism is. Maybe I should push on the 2nd beveled ring from the blue plastic? Googling "Fairview 0820" didn't get me anywhere. I was Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220124_233552628 (1).jpg
Views:	603
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	75397 going to call Grand Design to beg for a quick connect kit that I could buy, but then I remembered this forum....
                      Attached Files

Comment

GDRV-Megan

Megan,

Could you please shed some light on the above picture of this propane manifold? How would one add a quick connect to this?

This is the first that I have seen of a manifold of this style and I am not sure how it works so I have tagged one of our hosts to get some input on this.

Thanks for posting the picture, we should get you some information soon.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

larryts Review of the picture (no help from the Fairview website) that almost looks like a push to connect manifold. That being said, have you removed it from the frame to see if there are clips on the back side? The reason I am thinking that is a quick connect manifold has to do with the lack of hex fittings on the hose ends. Be careful with rotating the plug as it may be o-ring sealed and rotating may cause it to leak. I suggest pressurizing the system and spraying with soapy water to see if it bubbles.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                            GDRV-Megan

Megan,

Could you please shed some light on the above picture of this propane manifold? How would one add a quick connect to this?

This is the first that I have seen of a manifold of this style and I am not sure how it works so I have tagged one of our hosts to get some input on this.

Thanks for posting the picture, we should get you some information soon.

Brian
                            You would remove one of the plugs and thread in a quick connect or thread in a hose to run to the quick connect and mount it elsewhere.

Comment

GDRV-Megan Megan, OP states that he tried to unthread the plug and it just spins.

Those almost look like Push in fittings of some sort. The Parts lookup page shows DNU in the prefix of the part description. Also looking up the part number shown on the part at the MFG website does not return any listings.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/48521
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X