Spare tank storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare tank storage

We normally carry a 3rd 30# propane tank as a spare. Up til now, it typically rides in the box of the TV. However it is taller than the box rails so carrying the tank precludes the use of a tonneau cover.
    What are the thoughts of carrying the spare tank in the front storage compartment? I have the room and the compartment is vented through the floor.
    -
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
    Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Originally posted by KamFlyer View Post
    We normally carry a 3rd 30# propane tank as a spare. Up til now, it typically rides in the box of the TV. However it is taller than the box rails so carrying the tank precludes the use of a tonneau cover.
    What are the thoughts of carrying the spare tank in the front storage compartment? I have the room and the compartment is vented through the floor.
    I carry a small 5lb tank in my front storage compartment so don't think it would be an issue especially if yours is vented through the floor. Propane in an enclosed area can build up and be dangerous if not properly vented.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

If a propane tank is stored on its side and vents, it would most likely vent liquid propane. Propane storage areas would be required to have proper venting, but also should not contain any electrical components.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
        If a propane tank is stored on its side and vents, it would most likely vent liquid propane. Propane storage areas would be required to have proper venting, but also should not contain any electrical components.

Jim
        The tank would be stored and secured upright but there are electrical devices in there as well. (hydraulic pump, circuit breakers, etc. No batteries though)
        -
        2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink

Comment

Here are some (not all) of the requirements for propane storage as defined in NFPA 1192 (Standard on Recreational Vehicles). I'd encourage all owners to sign up for a free account with the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and obtain a copy of 1192.

Jim

Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane Storage.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	41333
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
            Here are some (not all) of the requirements for propane storage as defined in NFPA 1192 (Standard on Recreational Vehicles).
            Thanks Jim.
            I guess I'll have figure out an alternate solution.
            -Rob-
            -

Comment

Reading NFPA 58 Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code, you can transport cylinders with a nominal LP capacity not exceeding 45 lbs. "in other than an upright position" as long as the cargo area is separate from the engine and driver's compartments and not enclosed. If enclosed (here's where I wonder about the Tonneau cover), it's limited to 10 lbs./cylinder. In either case, the cylinders must be secured against movement. We have two spare 30 lb. tanks (for wintering up north) that will travel in the bed right behind the truck box upright - but we don't have a Tonneau cover.

https://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/ab.../58-98-pdf.pdf

Rob
              Rob & Laura
              U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
              2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
              2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
              (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
              Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Interesting! What I may have to do is make up a rack for the truck that sits just behind the open tonneau and then just take the tank(s) out when setting up camp so the tonneau can be closed.
                Thanks
                -

Comment

Working...
                X