Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experience with AP Products propane tank sensors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience with AP Products propane tank sensors?

I searched on several different word combinations and didn't find anything... have any of you had experience with the AP Products LP tank sensor system? I have one of the Dometic LP Gas Checkers, but it's sometimes inconsistent (yes - I know to hold my hand on the opposite side) and sometimes I have to remove the tank from the compartment to get a good reading. I'm also looking for something more convenient while spending the winter here in the north (not the tundra - just the top of the Chesapeake Bay). Reading Amazon reviews on the AP Products sensors, they get an overall of 4.5 stars. I usually don't buy anything with less than 4.5 starts and these sensors have 8% one- and two-star ratings. Reading through those, the complaints seem to be everything from reliability, consistency, and accuracy to the rubber feet cutting through and allowing the sensor to contact the platform (aluminum feet are available at $11/tank).

So, if you have had personal experience with this system, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Second Chance Rob I have used the Mopeka tank sensors for 1 season and so far I really like them. I use an app on my phone's bluetooth to read the tanks. I had one sensor that was a little bit flakie but added some more dielectric grease and all has been well since. Once the weather warms up I am going to wire a 3V power supply to both of these as well as my level mate pro so that I don't have to deal with low batteries as this causes some issues with both the tank sensors and the level mate.

I am glad that I have bought them and they have worked well for me for a season so far.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Thanks. Based on your feedback and some from the other sandbox, I have ordered a set.

Rob
      Rob & Laura
      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Yeah I have the Mopeka as well and love them. Mine were a little flaky as well, and I wired them to a power supply and tied them to the rigs 12v supply and they’re flawless. I got the idea from another forum that used it for their level mate and stole it. Great not to worry about batteries and they work a lot better. Just need to solder a couple wires to the battery contacts inside.

I used one of these to power both sensors:

SMAKN DC/DC Converter 12V Step Down to 3V/3A Power Supply Module https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ODL140M...ing=UTF8&psc=1
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

We also have the Mopeka and find them to be quite accurate. Hubby gets a kick out of telling the refill place how much propane it will take to fill a tank, and he's always spot on.
          Andi
          Brookings SD
          2018 Reflection 337RLS
          2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
            Thanks. Based on your feedback and some from the other sandbox, I have ordered a set. Rob
            You've likely seen my remarks about them, summarized as "happy but had reliability issues". Just this morning I read advice - reportedly from the company - that adding a dab of dielectric grease to the pad improves the sensing capability and also keeps moisture out. We've had problems when moisture got into ours, which happens too easily. Also had problems with the magnets staying stuck to the tank when removing the sensors. More grease there, or re-gluing them with good glue, might be worthwhile.

Enjoy... they are nice to have.
            Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

You've likely seen my remarks about them, summarized as "happy but had reliability issues". Just this morning I read advice - reportedly from the company - that adding a dab of dielectric grease to the pad improves the sensing capability and also keeps moisture out. We've had problems when moisture got into ours, which happens too easily. Also had problems with the magnets staying stuck to the tank when removing the sensors. More grease there, or re-gluing them with good glue, might be worthwhile.

Enjoy... they are nice to have.
              I had my magnets come off my first set. I contacted them and they sent me new sensors that have been great. They said they had a bad batch of glue. They also include the dielectric grease now as well I think.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

I just added the Mopeka system to my tanks in my 310gk and so far I have been happy with the accuracy. I havent traveled with them yet but I am pretty concerned that they will fall off on a good bump. The floor is open under the tanks so I am curious if anyone has had issues, or if you have any easy solution to keep them from being lost? I thought about some duct tape over the sensor but maybe I am over thinking it? The magnets just dont seem very strong.
                Jim
                2021 Solitude 310GK
                2020 Ford F350 SRW Lariat, 6.7 Powerstroke

Comment

Originally posted by JFoust View Post
                  I just added the Mopeka system to my tanks in my 310gk and so far I have been happy with the accuracy. I havent traveled with them yet but I am pretty concerned that they will fall off on a good bump. The floor is open under the tanks so I am curious if anyone has had issues, or if you have any easy solution to keep them from being lost? I thought about some duct tape over the sensor but maybe I am over thinking it? The magnets just dont seem very strong.
                  Early on they had issues where the magnets would actually stay on the tank but break loose from the sensor. I had that happen and lost one, they replaced it for free. Since then mine have been fine. Since I’ve hard wired mine in now, I’d they were to come loose the wire would hold them, but over 20,000 miles and this has never happened. You could hot glue a piece of rope or webbing to them and tie that to something in the compartment as a safety.

Neil Citro

Comment

Can someone tell me if the newer model kit come with the aluminum feet
                    2021 Reflection 303RLS
                    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
                    Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis66 View Post
                      I think the last one they sent me a couple years ago came with metal feet. I do not use them though. In my fifth wheel the "floor" of the propane bay is not solid, so its open under the tanks. Plenty of room for the sensor in there without the spacers.

Neil Citro

Comment

I just bought my 2021 303rls I guess I need to check under the take. If its open I think I will just buy the 2 pack only and use the app to monitor save money and the app is more accurate from what I here
                        2021 Reflection 303RLS
                        2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
                        Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

I just bought my 2021 303rls I guess I need to check under the take. If its open I think I will just buy the 2 pack only and use the app to monitor save money and the app is more accurate from what I here
                          Yeah I never even hooked up my display. The app lets you set the size of your tank, I think the monitor assumes a 20 pound tank. Once the size is set in the app then you can set an alert when the tank gets to a set percentage. It works really well (once I connected mine to rig power rather than the included batteries).

Neil Citro

Comment

Yes. I got mine a week ago and it came with the aluminum feet. I bought the rubber rings instead though.
                            Jim
                            2021 Solitude 310GK
                            2020 Ford F350 SRW Lariat, 6.7 Powerstroke

Comment

Originally posted by JFoust View Post

Yes. I got mine a week ago and it came with the aluminum feet. I bought the rubber rings instead though.
                              I didn't like the aluminum things. They kept falling off, nuisance to transfer if switching out tanks on the trailer, etc. The rings are much easier to work with, though of course they add $ to the cost of the product. :(

Second Chance -- I know you know this, but for the rest reading this thread I have no connection whatsoever with Mopeka outside of being a customer. With that said the "Tank Halo's" are on sale for 50% off. https://mopeka.com/product/mopeka-tank-helo/

Click image for larger version

Name:	Halo.JPG
Views:	578
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	50798

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                              X