Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experience with AP Products propane tank sensors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did not have a lot of success with the Mopeka sensors--in fact I removed them and went with manual gauges built into the tanks. Inspired by ncitro I dug out the sensors and hard-wired them to the camper. What a difference! Why are the sensors working better now? The difference (IMO) is the steady supply of 3V.

I've had the sensors hard-wired for a few months so I figured it was time to post what I've done.

In the sensors I fashioned "batteries" out of rubber propane covers. (No kidding--it's what I had and it worked so I could go back to batteries if the effort failed.) The wires are routed so they contact the Mopeka battery slot. If this Rube Goldberg configuration causes an issue I'll solder the wires to the Mopeka boards (the right way to do it). I dabbed a bit of silicone sealant around the wires where they enter the Mopeka sensor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mopeka 1.JPG
Views:	810
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	58477

I used a Gerbing Heated Gear wire I had saved from another (motorcycle) project to wire the output of the transformer to the sensors.

Name:	Mopeka 2.JPG
Views:	502
Size:	437.7 KB
ID:	58479
    Under the trailer it looks as shown in the pictures below. The transformer is held in place by 3M VHB tape (good stuff!). The wires to the sensors and back to the breaker is protected by a sleeve that is further protected by heat shrink. It shouldn't have any issue with chafing!

Name:	Mopeka 3.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	58478
    So thanks, Neil, for your inspiration. I now am a fan again of Mopeka sensors. (Mopeka needs to make a version a non-crazy owner can easily hard wire to their camper.)

As always, if anyone has any questions fire away.

Howard

P.S. I've updated my Master Electrical Diagram and included these sensors accordingly. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...lts-f-350-mods

Here is the applicable section for the Mopeka:

Name:	New.JPG
Views:	632
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	58480
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson Glad I could help. Mine work immeasurably better since I hard wired them. I'm shocked they don't offer this as an option. I don't have a levelmate but I hear it works great on the power supply as well.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
        howson Glad I could help. Mine work immeasurably better since I hard wired them. I'm shocked they don't offer this as an option. I don't have a levelmate but I hear it works great on the power supply as well.
        It does indeed--I hardwired the LevelMate quite awhile ago.

Comment

howson Why do those connectors strangely resemble Gerbings ? If you need more I have a box of them.
          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
          Nash County, NC
          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
            howson Why do those connectors strangely resemble Gerbings ? If you need more I have a box of them.
            I might take you up on that, Jerry! They come in quite handy.

Comment

Here's a question for you guys.

I just swapped to a new phone. How do you resync the sensor? Just hit the button on the bottom?
              Mike
              2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
                Here's a question for you guys.

I just swapped to a new phone. How do you resync the sensor? Just hit the button on the bottom?
                I linked mine to their cloud account, so I just had to log in and select my sensors from the list.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I linked mine to their cloud account, so I just had to log in and select my sensors from the list.
                  Perfect!

That worked great. I'm all set now.
                  Mike
                  2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Rather than making a new thread about it, I'm adding on that I have also hardwired the AP/Mopeka propane sensors in my rig and extremely happy with the results. It's the same as documented above but adding my process below in case it helps anyone else to hear it again and see more pictures.

I purchased the 2 pack of sensors without the monitor (https://a.co/d/5Ah7lxj) as I intend to use Bluetooth to my phone as my monitor source. I also purchased a 12v to 3v step down converter (https://a.co/d/htDR7p6). These are not the only ones that work, but they are the ones that I purchased and are working for me currently.

I pulled the cover off of each sensor by using a small flathead screwdriver. Once open I pulled batteries and soldered some 2 conductor wire to the positive/negative contacts of the battery holder. I drilled holes in the covers to allow the newly soldered wire to feed through, then closed them back up (make sure the sensor and link button align properly) and "clicked" the cover. I used some silicone to seal up the hole where the wire comes out. I then ran the wire through a hole into the front bay of my 5th wheel, and to the DC step down converter mounted to my electrical wall. I have both sensor wires connected via 3-way wago connectors to the output of the step-down converter, and then the input connects directly to my 12v DC sub-panel.

Name:	20220629_190658.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	89189

Name:	20220629_190715.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	89190

Name:	20220629_190229.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	89191

Name:	20220629_190810.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	89192
                    David and Deana
                    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
                    2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

Working...
                    X