Will These Hoses Work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will These Hoses Work?

Will these hoses fit on my setup? I'm not sure about the "flared" vs "non flared" ends that will screw into the regulator. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PD8TFQK..._t1_B07VGJG41G

Click image for larger version

Name:	propane.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	5127

Name:	Tanks.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	5126
    Attached Files
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Howard

You need to determine if the female hole in the regulator is NPT , or flare fitting. If you remove one of the hose connections on the regulator and the threaded end on that hose is tapered then you will need NPT. If the threaded end on the hose has cone shaped angle on the end of the threads that is smooth then you have a flare connection.

I believe that it should be NPT. like the ones you have pictured.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Is there the back check valve between the hose and the regulator?
      If not and the hose screws right into the regulator, should be 1/4 NPT.
      I think the back check valve is what has the inverted flare.
      A Fairview tech sheet showing the back check valve: https://www.fairviewfittings.com/Use...GR-9984%29.pdf

Rob's pdf with a regulator with one back check valve and one NPT elbow on a auto changeover regulator.
      Attached Files
      Gene and Kim
      2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
      2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Howard - When I ordered the hoses for my 297, they were not NPT. They were 1/4" inverted male flare. Here is a link to the ones I ordered.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I’m not a fan of the braided hose for propane lines. When we were racing we used stainless steel braided lines exclusively. Hose from suppliers like Aeroquip and Earl’s Supply was of the highest quality. My guess is propane hoses are generic quality at best.

The downside to even high quality stainless steel braided hose is you can’t visually inspect for deterioration.
          Last edited by colan; 10-10-2019, 12:37 PM.
          Colan Arnold
          2016 Momentum 397TH
          Full time since 2016

Comment

My understanding is that steel braiding is only required in high abrasion or high pressure environments. Other than than, it's bling.
            2017 310GK

Comment

Ugh...this is as bad as trying to figure out plumbing. (One of my favorite subjects--not!)

The manual for the regulator states Inlet: 1/4" Female NPTF (see attached PDF): Fairview Gas-Flo Propane Regula - Fairview.pdf

So I need a male 1/4" NPTF hose fitting, right? NPT will join with NPTF according to what I'm reading? https://www.hoseassemblytips.com/wha...-npt-and-nptf/

Amazon is using yet a third term, "inverted flare". The item I'm currently looking at states emphatically, Note: 1/4" male inverted flare is not 1/4'' Male NPT. Please check your connector before you order.

I guess this will have to wait until I get home--not taking things apart on the road just to see what the connection looks like. (Was hoping to order the parts and have them on hand when I arrive...no such luck!)

What I'd *really* like is a connection to the propane bottle that has a 90 degree connector (so no bend in the hose) with a pressure gauge inline. I'd like it in one piece--no adapters between the tank and the regulator. I haven't seen that on Amazon--need to keep looking.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

This may be easier and according to Nick at propanegear.com will be much more accurate than the "add on" inline gauges...https://www.amazon.com/Soda-Buddy-Re.../dp/B00O3GVPPQ

Name:	Tank with Gauge.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	5145

Comment

• Yoda
                  Yoda commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just remember if you go this route to have them pull a vacuum before filling - just like they would do for a new tank.

Howard - You're going to need to pull one of your hoses to check. On my rig, the regulator has 1/4" inverted flare. I also have a replacement regulator that was provided by GDRV at the rally. It has 3/8" NPT. So I guess it just depends on what regulator they are using at the time. They also gave me two braided lines, and both of those are 1/4" Inverted Flare.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                X