Annual propane test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual propane test

Will be going to dealer for annual Warranty Forever maintenance. I asked about propane maintenance and they check for leaks at stove, fridge and water heater. Was wondering if I should not have them do a drop test. It’s another $80.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
    Will be going to dealer for annual Warranty Forever maintenance. I asked about propane maintenance and they check for leaks at stove, fridge and water heater. Was wondering if I should not have them do a drop test. It’s another $80.
    By drop test, do you mean a pressure drop test? For example, hooking up a manometer to verify there is no pressure drop which would indicate a propane leak?

If you just spray your propane connections with soapy water, you'll be able so see if there is a leak if any bubbles appear.

By the way, if you want to do a pressure drop test, you can purchase a meter from Amazon that retails for less than $52. It sure beats the heck out of 80 bucks every year.
    https://smile.amazon.com/Yellow-Jack...s%2C225&sr=8-4

Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Yes, it is the pressure drop test. I am pretty handy. But do not feel comfortable with working on the propane system. Just wondering if this should be done annually or not. I do check for leaks with soapy water at connections.
      Vivian
      2018 Reflection 303rls
      Demco Recon

Comment

Probably more information than anyone may want.

The purpose of the drop pressure test is to check the integrity of the propane system. Every line and component from the primary regulator to the gas valve in each appliance is part of the test

The process begins with turning off all propane appliances, turning on the propane to pressurize the system, turn off the propane, opening the stove top, removing a burner (usually a single screw), attaching a manometer with a rubber coupler and turn the burner full on, with a second burner bleed the pressure to 8 inches of water, wait three minutes, if pressure holds, test is complete. The gotcha is if it has been cold overnight and the RV is setting in the sun the pressure will often rise during the test, which invalidates the test. For piece of mind if I do anything to the propane system other than change a tank I always perform a drop pressure test.

The drop pressure test takes at most 15 minutes, the real time consumer is if the test includes a checking the primary regulator for proper functioning, that requires opening the system and attaching the manometer before the appliance regulator. Testing and adjusting the regulator if needed, putting the system back together, and then perform the drop pressure test at the stove.

The reason for performing the drop pressure test at the stove is not needing to disassemble any part of the system that is pressurized whenever the propane is on.
        Colan Arnold
        2016 Momentum 397TH
        Full time since 2016

Comment

Colan, supposedly Dixie RV in Defuniak Springs performed the test as ordered. They told me they had to find a part to do testing off of the water heater as the new Furrion stoves do not have burners you can remove. Anyway, he told me just to keep doing my typical inspections with spraying soapy water on all connections and checking hoses look good should not need to do annual drop test of the system. What do you think about that?
          Vivian
          2018 Reflection 303rls
          Demco Recon

Comment

Working...
          X