X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with modifying the regulator for my Champion Dual Fuel Generator

So for reference, this is what I'm talking about:
    https://gdrvowners.com/forum/propane...ropane-adapter

That being said, I finally got around to modifying the regulator.

But the one that my generator come's with has different threads!

Can you help me identify the threads?

Here's the exploded view:

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-05-26 22_48_22-0526212227.jpg ‎- Photos.png Views:	4 Size:	488.4 KB ID:	55330

I'm convinced the thread going into the regulator (thing on the left in the above photo) is 1/4 NPT Male. ( I have a QC connector that is 1/4 NPT that seems to screw in easily)

I have no idea what the male on the other side is. (Maybe 1/8th? https://www.freshwatersystems.com/bl...-type-and-pipe) It might be straight versus tapered

I'm pretty sure these are NPT (National Pipe Tapered) since there is pipe dope on both sides. (No O-rings, or flares to be found)

Close up pictures (sorry, I don't have a caliper):

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-05-26 22_49_56-Window.png Views:	4 Size:	149.1 KB ID:	55331
    Big Side:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-05-26 23_05_54-Window.png Views:	4 Size:	857.9 KB ID:	55332
    Little side:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-05-26 23_06_17-Window.png Views:	4 Size:	955.7 KB ID:	55333

Tagging howson since you seemed to figure out which adaptors you needed with no issues.
    Last edited by mpking; 05-26-2021, 10:37 PM.
    Mike
    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Just realized I have a few more parts to compare with.
    The nipple is definitely 1/4 NPT on one side.

Here it is compared with a 1/8 NPT x 1/4 NPT

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-05-26 23_25_37-Window.png
Views:	681
Size:	777.3 KB
ID:	55336

Name:	2021-05-26 23_25_26-Window.png
Views:	688
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	55337
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mpking; 05-26-2021, 10:26 PM. Reason: Helps if I attach the picture
    Mike

Comment

You have to watch for metric threads opposite the pipe thread but the fitting in your first pic (thread opposite the regulator) looks like it takes an O ring. See similar example below.

https://www.titanfittings.com/Produc...SABEgKlJ_D_BwE

Jim

Comment

That could be 1/8 BSPP. You could take that fitting to your hardware store and they will have a much better time at figuring it out compared to just guessing here from pictures.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hmmm...

But there was no O-ring when I removed it. I wonder if they just used the pipe dope to seal it instead.

At this point, I think my plan is to get a 1/4NPT coupler, and a 1/4NTP nipple, and mount the quick connect using these, and just put this weird nipple back in the hole it came from. :-)
          Mike

Comment

I am curious if the straight thread side is M12 as the pict. from the Airstream thread, though the regulator's threads on mpking's don't appear to be 1/8-27 now either, maybe supply change.
            I wasn't able to find any fittings that have M12 x 1 as shown in that pict, only M12 x 1.5.

Name:	Fitting - Champion Regulator to Flow Reducing Valve.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	55359
            Gene and Kim
            2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
            2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

mpking I think I did what you are trying to do (run the generator off of the RV quick disconnect port), and I do not remember having a hard time getting the parts I needed. I think I got a 1/4" coupling and nipple like you say. I rigged mine up with a quick connect on the stock regulator as well so I could connect it back up if I wanted to run it from a grill tank or pull one of the RV tanks out and run it away from the rig.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I ran into this same issue two days ago. I solved the problem by using the original dual threaded part shown in your pictures, as it has one end with a 1/4 standard male thread. I then screwed onto that a 1/4 X 1/4 (female-to-female) air hose coupling I had in my garage. Into the other end of the female-to-female fitting I screwed in the male threaded quick disconnect propane connection. The link is to a similar female-to-female connector I used. Here's a link to a similar female-to-female connector. https://www.amazon.com/Fitting-SUNGA...2139652&sr=8-6 Click image for larger version  Name:	Generator propane connector.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.6 KB ID:	55377
                Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
                2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
                2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

That's exactly what I ended up doing.

I was trying to reduce the number of fittings I was using (less fittings, less places to leak). But rater than trying to ID it, I'll just reuse it.

I ran up to Lowes and got a 1/4 X 1/4 Nipple (Male to Male) and a 1/4 X 1/4 Coupler (female to female). It's all test fit on my desk right now. I just need to wait for a break in the rainstorm, and grab the yellow tape from out in the camper to actually screw the fittings in.

Then some dish soap/water concoction to test for leaks, and we can call it done.
                  Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X