Grand Design Propane Regulator recall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Design Propane Regulator recall

Not on the Grand Design website yet (They seem to be a week behind on the last recall that went around)

May 26, 2021 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V393000
    LP Gas Pressure Regulator May Fail
    Excessive gas pressure and a larger than intended appliance flame can increase the risk of a fire.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V393000

Manufacturer Grand Design RV, LLC

Components EQUIPMENT

Potential Number of Units Affected 55,508

Summary

Grand Design RV, LLC (Grand Design) is recalling certain 2016-2021 Imagine, Transcend, and Momentum travel trailers. The LP regulator that controls the LP gas pressure may fail, allowing excessive gas pressure that causes the appliance flame to increase.

Remedy

Dealers will replace the LP regulator, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed June 28, 2021. Owners may contact Grand Design customer service at 1-574-825-9679. Grand Design's number for this recall is 910023.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
    Attached Files
    Mike
    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

It's only the WinnTec LP regulator. If you have a different brand, you are not affected:
    Mike

Comment

It always amazes me that the NHTSA publishes these findings before letting the Manufacture know. I have seen this plenty of times over the years.

Please give Grand Design a moment to gather all things necessary to get his process rolling. In the "mess" of things it may be a little difficult to come up with a replacement LP Regulator.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
        It's only the WinnTec LP regulator. If you have a different brand, you are not affected:
        Is there an identification on the LP regulator that lists the brand name?

Thank you for the info.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Is there an identification on the LP regulator that lists the brand name?

Thank you for the info.

Jim
          Jim,

The regulator MAY have a white plastic cover at the bottom. Slide off the plastic cover and you'll see the Winntec name. I happened to have one in my box of spare parts, so here's a couple of photos. I would caution folks not to take action until GDRV officially publishes the recall. Quite often further clarification comes out between the NHTSA document and official publication. These photos may or may not be the regulator in question.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Winntec 1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	48.8 KB ID:	56008
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Winntec 2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	69.5 KB ID:	56009
          Last edited by TucsonJim; 05-31-2021, 05:13 PM.
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thank you Jim.

I hope GDRV will distribute and allow us to install a new unit ourselves and mail in the old unit. I certainly do not want my rig setting at the dealer for a month to perform a 10 minute job.

Jim

Comment

Thank you for letting us know.

John
              John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
              2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
              ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
              2017 Jayco 26BH
              2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

So reading the Recall Notice, it's only a specific model regulator. For example, Mine looks nothing like Jim's. (Mine has a round plastic shroud, and the flag is on TOP of the unit.)

It's going to come down to getting your VIN checked, and see if you have an affected unit. The Recall states that out of 50,000 campers, only 10% are affected.

I probably have the affected unit (I've had ever other issue that seems to come up (Delamination, Pink floor stuff, etc), but I'm not super concerned.
                Mike

Comment

With the supply chain problems in the RV Industry, propane regulators (other than the recalled one) are going to be in short supply. These are not particularly expensive components. I carry a spare because none of them are particularly durable or reliable. My advice would be . . . grab one while you can and change it out yourself while the recall runs it’s course. The overwhelmed dealer service facilities are about to become more overwhelmed.

(Just my opinion . . . Not any kind of an official position)

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    . . . grab one while you can and change it out yourself while the recall runs it’s course.
                    I could use my generator's regulator in a pinch, right? I realize it won't auto-switch.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Bottom line. The moderators are NOT up to speed on all the nuances of the recall and we are only making educated guesses on details. The photos I posted are of a Winntec regulator that was given to me by GDRV in 2019. It may or may not be one of the affected regulators.

Assume NOTHING. I would not take any action until receiving notice through proper channels. The moderators of this site are GDRV owners and not employees. We are not authorized to speak on behalf of GDRV when it comes to recalls. Any postings we make are as owners.

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie
                      2024 Solitude 310GK
                      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Just FYI - the regulator recall has been posted to the Grand Design website (https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-support/recalls).

I replaced mine proactively before the posting on the Grand Design website with the Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253H. I called Grand Design today to let them know about me replacing this and they indicated that it was probably a good idea since new ones will be in extremely high demand, and supplies will be short due to the scale of use with the Winntec model in the industry.

The only thing Grand Design asked me to do was book an appointment with my dealer to have a manometer test done, which they will pay for. They also have offered to reimburse me for the new regulator. Bonus! . They do require the old regulator back, which I can drop off with my dealer when the test is being done, so no big deal there either.
                        2019 Imagine 2400BH
                        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

I just called GC Support. I have moved to an area with no GD dealer close. He advised me to call the closest dealer and have them order and send part to me. Then I could get it installed locally. I called the closest dealer, they will not do that. They have to have unit to confirm recall and document for submission to Grand Design. Their shop appointments are out to the end of July. We have a 10 day trip, leaving Friday. I guess we watch for the signs there is a problem and not use gas. We will probably go to our local RV shop and just get it replaced.
                          Also, dealer service department has never heard of this recall...
                          Last edited by SheriFay; 06-30-2021, 10:54 AM. Reason: add more info

Comment

Originally posted by SheriFay View Post
                            I just called GC Support. I have moved to an area with no GD dealer close. He advised me to call the closest dealer and have them order and send part to me. Then I could get it installed locally. I called the closest dealer, they will not do that. They have to have unit to confirm recall and document for submission to Grand Design. Their shop appointments are out to the end of July. We have a 10 day trip, leaving Friday. I guess we watch for the signs there is a problem and not use gas. We will probably go to our local RV shop and just get it replaced.
                            Also, dealer service department has never heard of this recall...
                            If you haven't seen it, there is a FAQ document on the GD recall page that provides a procedure for checking the regulator

https://www.granddesignrv.com/sites/...ts-6.28.21.pdf

Hopefully I did this correctly, but since you are new to the forum, I will paste the welcome info...Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

2019 Imagine 2400BH
                            2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Looks like I have it on mine. Welp thats awesome. I wonder if they can take care of it at the rally?
                              Attached Files
                              Brent, Krista, and our 6 year old nugget
                              Cruising with two Black Labs, Lestat and Pandora
                              2021 Ram 3500 Dually Long Bed 4X4 HO Cummins (Blue Sapphire)
                              2021 Imagine 3110BH (The Dog House)

Comment

Working...
                              X