No announcement yet.

Grand Design Propane Regulator recall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we have been waiting now since beginning of July for our parts to come into dealer. we were originally told it would arrive on sept 17 but today they are telling us its still on backorder with no new time frame available. they said everyone has them on back order including amazon. can we use a different regulator or do we have to use a winntec? also some of the posts on this site list a temp substitue of using a flame king (if we can find one) until our parts come in. will this work?
    2017 Ford F-250, 2017 Imagine 2950

Comment

Originally posted by dandyrandy View Post
      we have been waiting now since beginning of July for our parts to come into dealer. we were originally told it would arrive on sept 17 but today they are telling us its still on backorder with no new time frame available. they said everyone has them on back order including amazon. can we use a different regulator or do we have to use a winntec? also some of the posts on this site list a temp substitue of using a flame king (if we can find one) until our parts come in. will this work?
      You do not have to use a Winn-Tec. I have mine installed by a mobile tech who furnished the regulator and gave me the proper report and invoice. Grand Design fully covered the charge and didn't delay paying. Mine was dealt with through email to customer service after dealer delay like you are experiencing.
      Bill & Cindy
      2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
      2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
      SE Texas

Comment

Took my Imagine 2970 to a GD dealer to have a 50 regulator changed. Result was they left battery switch on and now have dead battery, and when plugging into shore power the 26 month old propane detector is beeping and the lights are signaling end of life. It would have been a lot cheaper to just do the regulator my self.

Comment

Hi All, Just a followup to a question i asked recently. I contacted Grand Design to ask which regulators we can and cant use and if we can take this repair to anyone else to do the recall if we can find a regulator. the answer i got back is that we can use any regulator except, winntec, mr heater and enerco. And we can take it to any dealership (doesnt have to be grand design) or we can take it to a mobile tech. so we found a Camco regulator and asked our dealer to install it. They said according to Grand Design it has to be one that Grand Design issued and we can not use Camco regulator. We tried to call Grand design to see why the email we got from them vs what dealer is saying is different. Cant get through on any phones (ugh!!!) has anyone been told this? My husband is affraid we will be stuck with this Camco regulator if grand design doesnt accept it.
          2017 Ford F-250, 2017 Imagine 2950

Comment

Originally posted by dandyrandy View Post
            Hi All, Just a followup to a question i asked recently. I contacted Grand Design to ask which regulators we can and cant use and if we can take this repair to anyone else to do the recall if we can find a regulator. the answer i got back is that we can use any regulator except, winntec, mr heater and enerco. And we can take it to any dealership (doesnt have to be grand design) or we can take it to a mobile tech. so we found a Camco regulator and asked our dealer to install it. They said according to Grand Design it has to be one that Grand Design issued and we can not use Camco regulator. We tried to call Grand design to see why the email we got from them vs what dealer is saying is different. Cant get through on any phones (ugh!!!) has anyone been told this? My husband is affraid we will be stuck with this Camco regulator if grand design doesnt accept it.
            Their phone lines were down yesterday. They should be working now.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Just this last weekend, we were relaxing outside our Imagine and heard some popping noises coming from the other side of the unit. It was coming from the backside of the refer. It sounded like there was air in the propane line. (I had just changed out an empty tank). It stopped popping and then sounded like a jet engine. Aware of the recall, I rushed outside and shut off the propane. I came back inside and found that we lost all power to the brow panel. We had to cut our trip short with no other way to keep our food cool. As a former RV tech, I started checking out electrical feeds and fuses. Looks like the flame had tripped the thermal fuse in the flue and saved our bacon!
              Last edited by howson; 10-03-2021, 03:21 PM.
              Chad & Becky
              2019 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Comment

Scary stuff.

I replaced our regulator until we get an opportunity for the recall. Depending on how painful the wait at the dealer will be will determine if I just keep what I have as a replacement and move on.

Jim

Comment

I've been waiting for a couple months now for the new regulator from the dealer. Because we were using the trailer, I bought a different regulator and installed it. Problem solved, no wait time, less than $50.
                  Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

We had ours replaced yesterday at General RV in Draper, Utah. They also replaced the tank hoses and did a leak-down test. Everything works again!
                    Chad & Becky
                    2019 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post
                      I've been waiting for a couple months now for the new regulator from the dealer. Because we were using the trailer, I bought a different regulator and installed it. Problem solved, no wait time, less than $50.
                      I did the same. I have a recall appointment at a Jayco dealer which is 500ft from our storage lot. If they cannot do it at the lot or while I wait I will bail on the recall. Better to buy a manometer IMO where it can also be used to diagnose the sticks and bricks furnace if needed.
                      The Flame King in the Imagine works fine with no issues.

Jim

Comment

I have this one on my 2021 Reflection 240RL it was built in Aug 2020 and my RV is not on the recall. Does that mean we are OK or they didn't include the 150 Reflections?
                        Michael and Laurie
                        2021 Reflection 150 240RL
                        2017 Ford F250

Comment

Originally posted by Bigjeep View Post
                          I have this one on my 2021 Reflection 240RL it was built in Aug 2020 and my RV is not on the recall. Does that mean we are OK or they didn't include the 150 Reflections?
                          The recall is for travel trailers only.
                          John & Kathy
                          2014 Reflection 303RLS
                          2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Whew thats good.
                            Thanks
                            Michael and Laurie
                            2021 Reflection 150 240RL
                            2017 Ford F250

Comment

We just had the problem with the winn-tec regulator. We were wondering why we were running out of propane so quickly and had to lower the propane tank output but also the flames would be extremely high. We received the recall notice. Just talked with my wife and decided we are going to get the one from the dealer to replace it and purchase a flame king auto changeover as a back up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra17942018 View Post
                                We just had the problem with the winn-tec regulator. We were wondering why we were running out of propane so quickly and had to lower the propane tank output but also the flames would be extremely high. We received the recall notice. Just talked with my wife and decided we are going to get the one from the dealer to replace it and purchase a flame king auto changeover as a back up.
                                I did the same and the Flame King produces a slightly lower flame at the stove compared to the original regulator. Also no propane smell at the tanks now. Since the competitor dealer never called for our tentative October appointment, I will stay with the Flame King. At some point I will most likely purchase a manometer since this tool can also be used to diagnose the newer high tech home furnace.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X