LP tank upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LP tank upgrade

Hi I own a 2020 Grand Design 3100RD travel trailer. My unit came with two 20lb LP tanks. What I would like to know is can I upgrade my LP tanks to either 30 or 40 pound tanks. Would I need to upgrade the regulator? Can I simply swap out my 20lb LP tanks for 30 or 40 pound tanks and purchase the appropriate cover for the tanks?

You might need a longer threaded rod to secure the tanks, but other than that and a new cover you should be good to go.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

tcremerr Welcome to the Family and the forum!
      You can replace them with larger tanks without changing the regulator for fittings, but depending on your hose installation you may need a longer hose(s). I can't answer to the cover as I am not familiar with the cover and mountings.
      When you have time, the moderators have taken the time to create a Welcome Letter to help new members have the best possible experience on the forum including posting tips, how to set up a signature line and searching the forums. You can find the letter at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members.
      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
      Nash County, NC
      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by tcremerr View Post
        Hi I own a 2020 Grand Design 3100RD travel trailer. My unit came with two 20lb LP tanks. What I would like to know is can I upgrade my LP tanks to either 30 or 40 pound tanks. Would I need to upgrade the regulator? Can I simply swap out my 20lb LP tanks for 30 or 40 pound tanks and purchase the appropriate cover for the tanks?
        Would love to see your before and after pics!
        2020 Imagine 2400BH
        2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

This was one of the first upgrades we did. We dry camp for a couple weeks at a time and needed the extra fuel. The only issue was that I needed to re-route the gas line since there was not enough slack. Not a huge deal just remove the regulator and reposition the line. Remember to use the yellow PTFE Teflon tape for gas lines.. Etrailer had the threaded rod for the 30 lb tanks for $15. I did the tank covers from Camping World for $44..
          hope this helps ,
          Brian
          2018 GMC HD Denali Duramax
          2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
          Reese Dual-Cam straight-line hitch

Comment

We bought 40 lb tanks right after we bought the trailer in March. Just filled them this week and replaced the 20 lb tanks so we would have plenty of fuel on our trip to Montana in October. Yes, the 1/2" threaded rod needs to be replaced with a longer one. I had several 36" lengths of ready rod on hand. 36" is a little long, the extra hangs off the bottom, no big deal. Hoses all had enough slack to reach, surprising. The 20 lb plastic shells look like high water pants but hey, I am not going to the fair I am going camping. Your results may vary.
            Vic and Barb
            2021 315RLTS

Comment

We have 40# aluminum propane bottles on our 2022 Reflection 315RLTS. I originally bought them for our previous camper (2016 Arctic Fox 28F with on board propane generator).
              2022 GD Reflection 315RLTS
              2020 GMC HD2500 std bed w/ARE topper and slider deck.

Comment

For the record (in honor of my instructor that beat this into my head): what's on our trailers are DOT cylinders, not tanks. Tanks are the permanent ASME versions found in motorhomes. "Container" is a catch-all for everything.

I'm sure everyone reading this thread is just thrilled to know this information. You're welcome.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Rick R View Post
                  We have 40# aluminum propane bottles on our 2022 Reflection 315RLTS. I originally bought them for our previous camper (2016 Arctic Fox 28F with on board propane generator).
                  Any idea how long this will last you running the furnace and stove?
                  2022 Momentum 21G with factory 300w solar and generator
                  2022 F-350 Lariat 6.7 PSD
                  x2 206ah SOK LiFePO4 batteries

Comment

To many variables and new enough that we are still learning how best to use our resources. We were set up at a ranch east of Austin, Texas for 5 days over Thanksgiving. Temperatures were in the upper teens for lows. We had no issues with the on demand water heater freezing and are still running on the first 40# bottle now a week later. We did use the electric fire place to take the chill off in the morning.
                    2022 GD Reflection 315RLTS
                    2020 GMC HD2500 std bed w/ARE topper and slider deck.

Comment

Working...
                    X