Propane Regulator Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane Regulator Issue

Question for the brain trust here. My auto switchover propane regulator window seems to be stuck on red. It works fine, gas flows normally, and it switches over when the selected tank empties, but my window is stuck on red. I killed off both my tanks last weekend, pulled them both off and depressurized the system. I went and filled the tanks, purged the air and lit the stove, but the window never turned green. I suspect the actual indicator might be stuck in the window (tapped it a little with a hammer but no luck). Was wondering if anyone had ever seen this, given the recall going on replacement regulators are expensive and hard to find, so I may just live with it for now, but thought I would ask.

Thanks!
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

ncitro -- can you specify the exact make and model of the regulator?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

You could use a single regulator but will have to change tanks manually when needed.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
        Sure I'll grab it tomorrow.

-Bryan that's true, but since I've got Bluetooth tank level sensors I actually leave mine on auto. I get a ping on my phone when it switches over, so I don't mind it automatically switching.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Sure I'll grab it tomorrow.

-Bryan that's true, but since I've got Bluetooth tank level sensors I actually leave mine on auto. I get a ping on my phone when it switches over, so I don't mind it automatically switching.
          Neil,

What brand of Bluetooth tank level sensor do you use? For the flag, I've payed no attention to it since its obscured by the tank cover. Currently I close the spare tank and when we run out, I know the main tank is out. However when we are running low, I will open both valves for sleeping in cold weather. Having a reliable Bluetooth level sensor would be nice. I need more gizmos.

Jim

Comment

Guest I have the Mopeka sensors and love them. They were kind of hit or miss at first, but I modified them to run off of a 12V step down transformer rather than the watch batteries (detailed in a couple threads here), and they work amazingly now. Great range, and very accurate. You can set alerts for each tank on whatever level you want. I usually keep it set to alert me when the tank I am using gets to zero (switchover happens) and when the other tank gets to 20% (I really need to do something about this lol).

Neil Citro

Comment

Sorry this took so long, have been slammed at work and have not had a chance to get into my office to look at the regulator. It is a Fairview, looks identical to this one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Fairview-Prop.../dp/B06ZY5W3R7

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Sorry this took so long, have been slammed at work and have not had a chance to get into my office to look at the regulator. It is a Fairview, looks identical to this one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Fairview-Prop.../dp/B06ZY5W3R7
                Neil,
                I was hoping one of the regulators at school was cut open so I could take pics of how the flag is triggered. No go.

I did all the propane tests on my trailer and monitored the flag on the regulator installed. The results (red or green) was inconsistent. No pattern of turning on (or off) propane bottles or simulating a depleted tank resulted in the correct flag color showing every time.

The regulator flag indicator, IMHO, belongs in the same category as the tanks sensors: useless.

Since I took your suggestion to hard-wire in the Mopeka sensors to power I've had fantastic results using that system to monitor the tank levels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211015-182155_Tank[1].jpg
Views:	1076
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	68731

Comment

howson Yeah that's kind of what I'm thinking about the regulator. It's working fine and with the sensors I don't really need it, it's more of a backup.

Glad that mod is working as well for you as for me. I'm shocked by the improvement, I'd almost think they should offer a hard wire version.

Neil Citro

Comment

I have the same problem as mentioned above, red flag always showing on propane regulator (Fairview Regulator) even though both tanks are nearly full. This started the last week in March while wintering in south Texas. The flag was showing half red and half green, again with both tanks nearly full. Just came back from our first trip since March to nearby campground for 3 nights. The flag was on full red the entire time with the lever switched back and forth to both tanks. The stove, on demand water heater, and furnace all worked as normal. Don't know if auto change-over will work. My unit is a 2021 303RLS, took delivery June 1, 2021, so its just over a year old for us..
                    Called GD to see if they would send a replacement. No luck. They said it would have to be installed by LP tech because anytime the LP system is opened it has to be drop tested so I should contact my dealer. When I told him that I made an appointment for a electrical recall in the refrigerator compartment and wheel bearings repacked over 3 weeks ago and the earliest they could get me in was the end of July, he said, "that was the best he could do for me".
                    Has anyone ever replaced their regulator without the help of an Propane Tech? I have a spare from an earlier camper and it looks easy enough.
                    Thanks for your help!
                    Jim & Dot
                    Richfield, WI.
                    2021 Reflections 303RLS 5th wheel
                    2015 GMC 2500HD Double Cab w/Duramax

Comment

Originally posted by Jim-Dot View Post
                      I have the same problem as mentioned above, red flag always showing on propane regulator (Fairview Regulator) even though both tanks are nearly full. This started the last week in March while wintering in south Texas. The flag was showing half red and half green, again with both tanks nearly full. Just came back from our first trip since March to nearby campground for 3 nights. The flag was on full red the entire time with the lever switched back and forth to both tanks. The stove, on demand water heater, and furnace all worked as normal. Don't know if auto change-over will work. My unit is a 2021 303RLS, took delivery June 1, 2021, so its just over a year old for us..
                      Called GD to see if they would send a replacement. No luck. They said it would have to be installed by LP tech because anytime the LP system is opened it has to be drop tested so I should contact my dealer. When I told him that I made an appointment for a electrical recall in the refrigerator compartment and wheel bearings repacked over 3 weeks ago and the earliest they could get me in was the end of July, he said, "that was the best he could do for me".
                      Has anyone ever replaced their regulator without the help of an Propane Tech? I have a spare from an earlier camper and it looks easy enough.
                      Thanks for your help!
                      GD authorized a mobile tech to change mine as long as he followed their protocol for performing and reporting a drop test. Reimbursed me for the expense. Tech furnished the replacement regulator.
                      Bill & Cindy
                      2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
                      2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                      SE Texas

Comment

Jim-Dot -- the physical replacement is easy. Verifying the install is where a manometer is needed. Also not hard--but most (like me) had not used that tool prior to being taught how to use it. The cost of the tool and supplies is probably less than a service call fee if you can find someone to teach you how to do the tests.

Comment

If folks do not want to buy a manometer they can make what is referred to as a slack tube manometer and use this tool to test their system. Slack tube manometers are very accurate if assembled correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnlfQK-8qy4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyTx8VIE_kQ

For those that want to buy a manometer with an internal pump to also test pressure switches, Fieldpiece makes an excellent unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmGUVWCJ4Is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAEBLigVD5g

https://www.amazon.com/Fieldpiece-SD.../dp/B00IJI0T6U

Jim
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2022, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Neil,
                            I was hoping one of the regulators at school was cut open so I could take pics of how the flag is triggered. No go.

I did all the propane tests on my trailer and monitored the flag on the regulator installed. The results (red or green) was inconsistent. No pattern of turning on (or off) propane bottles or simulating a depleted tank resulted in the correct flag color showing every time.

The regulator flag indicator, IMHO, belongs in the same category as the tanks sensors: useless.

Since I took your suggestion to hard-wire in the Mopeka sensors to power I've had fantastic results using that system to monitor the tank levels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211015-182155_Tank[1].jpg
Views:	1076
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	68731
                            Here we go again
                            Howard which model did you get and have you found a god price? Also information on how you hard wired would be helpful.
                            Thanks
                            Keith
                            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Here we go again
                              Howard which model did you get and have you found a god price? Also information on how you hard wired would be helpful.
                              Thanks
                              Keith
                              I have these but use no hard wiring. I use the app more than the monitor but have the monitor mounted just behind our main TV above added USB ports. Appears they have gone up almost $20 from when I bought a few months ago. https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-1...10&sr=8-6&th=1
                              Bill & Cindy
                              2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
                              2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                              SE Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X